Feeling awkw ard at Gym

Options
13»

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Having a plan definitely helps. I go in with my printed list of lifts to do that day, get it done, and leave. Simple. I don't bother myself with other people are doing or thinking, unless they're using a piece of equipment I want, in which case I skip to the next lift and come back later.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i picked planet fitness specifically because of their "no critics, no lunkheads" claims. i don't worry so much about the other people there, because i'm naturally introverted and i don't want to talk to them anyway. what i really like is how the staff won't hound you on anything, won't ask you a million questions, won't bug you unless you specifically ask for help. the most i usually ever say to them is my membership number, how many tokens i want for the massage chair when i'm done, and MAYBE a quick "g'night" when i leave.

all i want is to do my workout and leave, and they let me do just that.

You couldn't have picked a more judgmental gym to actually go to- but just to let you in on a secret... most people at every other "lunk" type gym are there to work out and they don't care about you. And you are the type of person that at over half of MFP is- quiet- get in- get out- not much chatting. easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    BTW, that HuffPo article does not say she was asked to cover up because she's too fit, that's just her claim.
    She violated the dress code (which clearly says no halters) and was asked to correct it.

And PF does not ban intense exercise, they ban things which could harm machines or people - dropping weights, grunting.
    (Yes, grunting. You're doing a Valsalva maneuver, which can drop your heart rate. You pass out or die while trying to lift a heavy bar, and it falls on you, you're hurt.)

And I'm quoting this separately because this is such rubbish it isn't funny.

First of all- if she wants to workout in a ball gown- or just get a pool lounger and read a book in a ball gown in the gym- as long as she isnt' in my way- she should be able to wear what she wants- her outfit shouldn't' have been grounds- that's just stupid.

Secondly PF does promote/attract NONE training- NONE intense- NONE serious people. That's their whole gimmick- and clearly- it works
    i picked planet fitness specifically because of their "no critics, no lunkheads" claims

which is a shame- because it's not helping ^^^ that person- all it's doing is hurting other people. Good job planet fitness- body shaming- and fitness shaming- makes other people look bad- and gives them a bad name/reputation. it's ridiculous.
  • Rmntrose
    Rmntrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Rmntrose wrote: »
    I get there and see that 60 % of the people there are probably training for some type of marathon and apparently a supper model and fashion expert.
    Projection upon others isn't a good long term strategy for fitness.

I do agree to that. I'm not sure what I said and what I meant matched. That is not my reason for fitness at all. But, to the OP, the awkwardness will go away with time. Try not to let it discourage you from bettering yourself, physically and mentally :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I get there and see that 60 % of the people there are probably training for some type of marathon and apparently a supper model and fashion expert.
    Projection upon others isn't a good long term strategy for fitness.

I do agree to that. I'm not sure what I said and what I meant matched. That is not my reason for fitness at all. But, to the OP, the awkwardness will go away with time. Try not to let it discourage you from bettering yourself, physically and mentally :)

Fair enough, I'll be honest, I project like a movie theater. Maybe I projected my issues on you, making it seem like you were projecting on others, and what those others were projecting upon creating a projectionist's inversion, and dividing by zero.
  • dbmata
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh, another aspect that might be awkward, if I cared.

Many times, bench press puts my ol fella at full attention.

Unh, push it. Push it real good.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Yes but I got over it. It's your health. If you're going to let what you think other people are thinking destroy it then that is your problem that you need to deal with.
  • Rmntrose
    Options
    Lol
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There were a lot of fit people at planet fitness?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ho ho ho you guy. It was pizza night.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I love my planet fitness :) But it also caters to marines, so we have a "real" weights area, squat racks etc. Being as close as it is to my house, open 24 hours, and only $10... it's totally worth it. PLUS free pizza? I won't turn down a free dinner, 'specially since I can fit it in my macros. In the end a gym is what you make of it. Haters gonna hate.

68456049.png
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am usually the most overweight person at my gym when I go in the mornings. It is very intimidating. I usually go with my girlfriend and it's funny how I get "trained" by all the men. "You might want to try....." BLAH! I've done my research, and if I wanted any "help" I'd get lessons from a personal trainer! I still go, smile sweetly, and continue on doing what I am doing. It's very awkward, but this is MY journey....and MY money pays for it. Screw all the judgmental types! :p
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    it's awkward, but u have to accept the fact that there are people in better shape than u and u shouldn't feel angry or inferior. It's a mind thing. Tell yourself u r going to look like that in 6 months.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I feel awkward going to the gym, as well, but it gets better over time.

So... I just try to focus on what I went there for. Just focus on improving yourself.
  • Rmntrose
    Options
    it's awkward, but u have to accept the fact that there are people in better shape than u and u shouldn't feel angry or inferior. It's a mind thing. Tell yourself u r going to look like that in 6 months.

Any given number of those people have probably been on the same journey we are on, thinking they would never be able to get into that kind of shape, but pushing through anyway.