Lifestyle change and Exercise

Options
emitc534
emitc534 Posts: 10 Member
Hello, my name is Esther. I need to lose about 100 lbs. I have developed several serious illnesses from being overweight. So my goal is to live a healthier lifestyle, and eventually be off medication. Seven months ago I lost 40 lbs, then gained back 10 lbs. Now I'm again getting serious, and finally understand that I can't diet without exercise. and I can't exercise without dieting. They work together, and I need to do both. I'm keeping my refrigerator full of fruits and vegetables. I'm looking for friends who understand that road is tough.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well you don't have to "diet" per say...you just need a calorie deficit to lose weight no exercise required.

If you eat at a reasonable deficit and accept that losing maybe 1lb-2lb a week is a good rate of loss and log accurately you will lose the weight fairly simply and it shouldn't be that rough.

If you want to exercise that's great for health and fitness but not necessary.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Hello & Welcome to MFP! :)

I agree with SezxuStef, if your intent is to truly making this a lifestyle change then I'd suggest stop calling this a 'diet.' A diet tends to insinuate that it is something temporary thing to do for the swimsuit season.

In order to live a healthier life you have to make small gradual changes so that cumulatively before you know it you're making healthier eating choices & have incorporated regular activities into your life. Learn to read food labels & be a more sophisticated grocery shopper.

Start by doing 1 or 2 easy swaps first for a few weeks. Once that becomes second nature, then more swaps.
    ie. Currently eating white bread SWAP to something like the Sara Lee 45 Calorie 100% Wheat bread. This easy swap reduces the total calorie intake for a sandwich, but reduces carbs & sugar as well.

Best of Luck to you - this is a great first step. (*)
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    ^^^What these ladies said! I hardly exercise. My weight is most affected by my calorie intake. I eat whatever I want, as long as I stay within my macros. It is a long, hard road but it works, and you just have to keep at it and make those better choices every day!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    One isnt dependent on the other. Its 80% diet, but I think exercise is important for all sorts of reasons and will make your weight loss plan more effective for all sorts of reasons.

As I keep banging on get the basics in place.
    1. Good mindset.
    2. Good plan.
    3. Good habits. Weighing and logging accurately.

If you are going to exercise, then be realistic, exercise properly and be consistent.

Dont start off witgh enthusiasm and the burn out.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just remember that it takes time. Losing too fast is not healthy. It took me about a year and a half to lost 100 lbs. I lost a total of 126 but over the last year I gained back 30 because I failed with my maintenance plan, or lack there of.

Take it one day at a time. Develop healthy habits and it will come off.

13928394.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. Yes, it's a diet, but it doesn't have to be something you consider temporary. And it doesn't have to be something formal. The other posters are right, you can just create a calorie deficit. Make some changes you think you can live with, and yes, eat less, and move more. That said, if you feel you'd benefit from the education a formal diet brings, then consider something like South Beach or the D.A.S.H diet for starters. You're SMART for adding exercise. The key there is the same: do something you can live with. DON'T choose an exercise you hate. Don't limit yourself to just one thing. Do some weight training, walk on a treadmill, walk outside, take yoga or pilates... just keep moving.

GOOD LUCK! :)
  • emitc534
    emitc534 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone who commented; thanks so much for the feedback. I do swap out white products for brown or whole wheat. Your comments have given me good ideas. I do like walking and may switch it up and try a free Zumba Class. Thanks everyone.