What type of protein powder is best?

Options
I read something online a long time ago about how not all protein powders are created equally. It said something about how some protein powders are .. uh... was it fermented? Or rotted? Or something along those lines? I could Google it if I remembered what I was talking about. :) But since I don't, can someone here read my mind and educate me please? :happy:

I need a protein powder that will not cause an insulin surge (low carb) because i have to keep my blood sugar down due to pregnancy. I have a hard time eating in the morning, but am supposed to start off my day with protein, so thought a protein shake might be the ticket. Sugar cravings while not being allowed to have sugar sucks, just in case anyone was wondering. :) I sure would love a nice bowl of Lucky Charms!

Replies

• DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Okay...I just picked up something from Walmart. :) Here's hoping it's nummy!!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I don't know a ton about protein supplements, but I do know that not all protein powders are created equally, and some kinds of protein are more complete than others. If you're just looking for a powder to supplement your daily protein intake, it might not matter as much which one you choose (although I have noticed that a lot of heavier whey proteins come with a warning for pregnant women to consult their doctors first). If you want your shake to be your breakfast (or any other meal), look for something that also has vitamins and minerals so that you're not missing anything nutritionally. There are a lot of options on the market, including plenty that are low in sugar.
    I'm currently in love with Total Soy protein powder. It only has 8 grams of sugar and 23 vitamins and minerals, and although it's not super heavy on protein (13 grams), it suits my needs. And it's delicious! A lot of websites also offer ideas and recipes for nontraditional ways to use protein powder. I've heard a few times that people sometimes mix it in with pancake batter, and you can also bake with it. Definitely something worth googling.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There is a new Ensure High Protein drink out and it only has 5g of sugar, but 25g of protein. it's also low fat. the vanilla is great.
  • Ddietzz
    Ddietzz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Its true that they are not all equal. Some say they are 100% and some are not, some use whey (best type), some are soy, egg white, or casein. There are also different grades, which come from different regions around the world, from what I've been told - try to stay with USA products. Some have fillers - which can cause bloating. some different amounts of protein, some add different amino acids, the list goes on.

I usually use the powder post workout, and for adding more overall protein into my diet. I make a shake or smoothie type drink. I use milk, yogurt, frozen fruit, and the whey powder. I also make one with milk, peanut butter, chocolate syrup, and the whey. I usually only buy a vanilla type flavor, as it usually goes with anything.

My preferred brand is Optimum Nutrition, also labeled Gold Standard (I do not work for them... Just my preference), after trying some different ones and asking store personal, and muscle bound types, its now my only choice.

I was at Sam's club the other day, and saw Premier Nutrition protein shake, I think it was about 25 - 30g. Or go to your local health food store, most have refrigerated cases and sell individual bottles, I've even asked for sample packages of powders.

Hope this helps... Good luck, and happy tasting
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't know a WHOLE LOT about it either but based on the feedback from some folks here I bought the ON Gold Standard and I like it just fine.
  • Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    this is gonna save you ALOT of trouble and trial and error, just go to vitaminshoppe, and get ON double chocolate whey or rocky road.. hands down the BEST protein powder on the market. i throw some ice water and 2 scoops in a shaker cup and im good to go.. tastes like a chocalate milkshake if you mix with milk, still tastes great in water, i use a little less water to give it a thicker more chocolatly taste so its not so watered down.. blends easy, no added junk... just do it..
  • 13donna1
    13donna1 Posts: 12
    Options
    The best protein powder I have found is Bodylogix vanilla ice cream from Meijer. It is a whey protein isolate which is better "absorbed" in your body. I make a smoothie of light no fat yogurt, 1 scoop protein powder and a little fat free milk=yummy. I mix it in a shaker bottle.All the best~
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in the Gold Standard?
  • Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

on whey 120calories per scoop, 24g prot per scoop 1g fat 3g crarb
  • ajstaudt
    ajstaudt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ON whey double rich chocolate, I swear by the stuff. Delicious and effective, very low carb aswell. Trust me you will never go back.
  • christianteach
    Options

on whey 120calories per scoop, 24g prot per scoop 1g fat 3g crarb

Sounds good. It has a lot more protein than what I'm currently using, more calories too but not that bad. I usually have a hard time getting all my protein in. Where can I find this besides Sams? We aren't members there. Does Costco have it?
  • christianteach
    Options
    I just looked online. I see GNC has it.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Well, I know for a fact protein does not ferment. Sugar ferments into alcohol. If protein fermented, I'd be making hamburger wine as well as Apple wine :)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've tried a buttload of protein powders. My Fellow MFP'ers that recommend Optimum nutrition Double Choclate are right on the money. This stuff has the least calories, and most protein per scoop.....and...it tastes the best..almost...almost...like not even a protein powder. I just had a two scoop shake. A big *kitten* tub is $54 shipped from Amazon...and the tub is relatively full, not half empty like a lot of other protein powders. BUY SOME!!!! I don't work for them either, but I was TIRED of throwing my money away on crap protein powders.:love:
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar protein powder. 100 calories, give 24 grams of protein. Tons of flavors from fruits, which mix well in water, plus chocolate & vanilla. It's the protein powder most recommended by bariatric surgeons/doctors & nutritionists. You can buy it at The Vitamin Shoppe, but even cheaper on line at: My Bariatric Pantry
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    ON whey
    /thread
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm going to GNC and buying "It's about time" in chocolate. Look it up online for cals/carbs/sugar, etc... I drink shakeology in the morning but I want something for in the evening. I eat actual food throughout the day but I have no time in the evening. I want something quick! I was not eating after 4 but this is going to be my go to dinner when I am hungry for dinner.
  • mararabb
    mararabb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love the Syntrax Fuzzy Navel and Chocolate Truffle. I've tried the Body Fortress and the GNC brand and determined that I can't stand any of them with that whey smell. The Syntrax taste good straight out of the jar and have almost no odor.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard Whey.
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard Natural Protein Powder--we like the Vanilla flavor. This uses stevia for sweetness--not artificial sweeteners.