Running & Dinner

Options
Hi. I'm trying to run twice a week (maybe 3 times eventually). So once on the weekend and once during the week. Problem right now with during the week is I can only run at 7pm once hubby is home re the kids.
But what do I do about dinner? Eat at 5 and hope I've digested enough so that I don't feel nauseous? But what about when I get back? I can imagine I will be hungry once I've stopped looking like a tomato.
Perhaps just some protein like a boiled egg?
Thanks.

Replies

• 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have a light snack around 4 and then dinner after my bike ride.
  • 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    and are you trying to tempt me with cupcake pics on your profile?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    0torque0 wrote: »
    I have a light snack around 4 and then dinner after my bike ride.
    Same here. Toast with pb about an hour before hubby gets home, then light dinner after my run.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Haha, those cupcakes were yummy!

Thanks for your replies. Tonights dinner is already out of the freezer - stew... So potatoes are involved.. Abit heavy to be eating after 19:30, so I might just eat at 16:30 and hope I don't get nauseous while running. Will have boiled egg and some yogurt after run.

:-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running after dinner and it doesn't work for you? I used to run after dinner all the time. It generally doesn't bother me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat part of your dinner beforehand and part afterward. Everybody is different but two hours, for me, is enough time for a chicken breast and fruit/veg before running.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd have a snack- then eat after. I dislike eating then going for a run.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ^That

Pretty much what I do before my AM workouts. I have a banana and five ounces of yogurt, or an eleven ounce pre-made protein shake and either yogurt or a banana (sometimes both) with a mug of instant coffee as my pre-workout.

After I lift or run (spring/summer only) then I inhale my breakfast. The same principle can be applied.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ^That

Pretty much what I do before my AM workouts. I have a banana and five ounces of yogurt, or an eleven ounce pre-made protein shake and either yogurt or a banana (sometimes both) with a mug of instant coffee as my pre-workout.

After I lift or run (spring/summer only) then I inhale my breakfast. The same principle can be applied.

me to!!

I don't do AM work very much- but usually I slam a big ole spoonful of yogurt after I prep my lunch- and then bring my coffee with.
    All bets are off once I get to the office though!
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ^That

me to!!

I don't do AM work very much- but usually I slam a big ole spoonful of yogurt after I prep my lunch- and then bring my coffee with.

lol.. office - I hear you there.

I have a full drawer in my office and one of the crisper drawers and half of the shelf space in the fridge door dedicated to my feeds.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I cant run after I just ate. Have to wait at least an hour or two. I would have a snack to hold me over and eat after I run.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ^That

me to!!

lol.. office - I hear you there.

I have a full drawer in my office and one of the crisper drawers and half of the shelf space in the fridge door dedicated to my feeds.

I keep a small stash- we've been having a mouse problem- even on the 3rd floor.
    - I keep complaining about needing a bigger lunch box- because- #thestruggleisreal.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Maybe decide to run on a night where it isn't something as heavy??
    I don't eat much before I run, something small to keep me going and then have my dinner when I come back, but it's always something that's fairly easy digested and quick to make if I'm finishing late!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My evening runs are normally 1830-1900 starts anyway, I'll maybe have some dried fruit or granola bar or something about 1500 or so then eat afterwards. But I generally eat around 2100 anyway.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    How far and fast are you running? I don't feel particularly hungry after my 3-5 mile runs. If you know by experience that you have to wait a couple hours after eating before you can run, then have a light supper around 5, and the rest of dinner afterwards. But you could experiment to see whether that's necessary.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You could eat the lighter parts of dinner (salad, veggies, fruits, etc.) an hour or so before your run and save the main dish and heavier sides for after. You really need to be your own test subject on this.

Some of the experiments that I have run on myself, unintentionally:
    1) Fasting morning run - Works fine ... until I try to go one step over 4 miles, at which point my energy is completely gone and I have to trudge the rest of the way home.
    2) Using milk in a pre-run shake - A longer or harder run probably would have resulted in a "reversal of fortune".
    3) Eating Mexican food or chili before a run - I avoid these foods at lunch time even if I don't plan on running until after 5. Chili burps during a run are not pleasant because they feel like they could become vurps or worse.

Some people have no problems eating before they run others do. The only way you will know for sure what you can tolerate is to perform some experiments.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating potatoes after 7:

I would either run first thing in the morning, or else have a light snack and then run before supper.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    trswallow wrote: »
    You could eat the lighter parts of dinner (salad, veggies, fruits, etc.) an hour or so before your run and save the main dish and heavier sides for after. You really need to be your own test subject on this.

Some of the experiments that I have run on myself, unintentionally:
    1) Fasting morning run - Works fine ... until I try to go one step over 4 miles, at which point my energy is completely gone and I have to trudge the rest of the way home.
    2) Using milk in a pre-run shake - A longer or harder run probably would have resulted in a "reversal of fortune".
    3) Eating Mexican food or chili before a run - I avoid these foods at lunch time even if I don't plan on running until after 5. Chili burps during a run are not pleasant because they feel like they could become vurps or worse.

Some people have no problems eating before they run others do. The only way you will know for sure what you can tolerate is to perform some experiments.

ROFL if I could add to the above list....tuna. DO NOT eat tuna before a run. Trust me on this.