Fat coming off the wrong places?

Options
Hello!
In the past year i gained a few pounds so i started dieting and strength training. Although i definitely look better now i'm not happy with the results. The fat is coming off the wrong places and although i'm only about a pound or two away from my old weight i don't look like i did before.
My waist was always really small but now it won't go down. I have a little bit of a pouch that won't budge but for some odd reason my ribs started sticking out like as if i'm a starving skeleton.
My butt was 37 inches before i started,after losing some weight it went down to 36,which is what i always was before i gained weight. Now,eating at maintenance and lifting relatively heavy,i lost another inch. Correct me if i'm wrong,but doesn't' muscle make it bigger? I'm not happy about this.
I'm eating at maintenance since i lost very little with a very low calorie diet,probably
because i have little to lose. So i decided to go for a recomp instead.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Fat comes off when and where it wants to. It's like that guest you have over for dinner, and now it's 11PM and you want to go to bed but they won't leave and want another glass of wine. It'll go when it wants to, and it'll leave from where it wants to leave.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Fat comes off when and where it wants to. It's like that guest you have over for dinner, and now it's 11PM and you want to go to bed but they won't leave and want another glass of wine. It'll go when it wants to, and it'll leave from where it wants to leave.

This, and conversely where and if, you put on muscle size will depend on your genetics, your diet and your weight training regime, unfortunately just training is not a guarentee you will build muscle
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    First time I lost weight, I lost nearly 40lbs and went from a fat hourglass to a smaller hourglass shape. This time I only have about 20lbs to lose and it's coming off, but my bum and hips are staying the same size, maybe because I'm a bit older or exercising now.

I don't really have any advice, I'm just saying it's one of those things. There are lots of weight training things you can do to change the shape of your body though.
  • bumdo
    bumdo Posts: 11
    Options
    Only thing to do is to try tone the muscles in the area but you cannot lose fat locally im afraid. But I would keep at it, it might be that your body balances it natutally eventually. :)
  • unpunishable
    unpunishable Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you have to work hard on your bum, say, squatting with heavy weights. Otherwise yep, it only gets smaller as you lose bf% 'cause we all have a massive amount of fat down there. If you don't focus on glutes, you risk losing your booty! JK, of course, but still. You've got to fight for it to grow, your glutes are currently quite small, and often it's determined anatomically, but still you can make 'em grow lifting heavy.
  • jesslo800
    Options
    you have to work hard on your bum, say, squatting with heavy weights. Otherwise yep, it only gets smaller as you lose bf% 'cause we all have a massive amount of fat down there. If you don't focus on glutes, you risk losing your booty! JK, of course, but still. You've got to fight for it to grow, your glutes are currently quite small, and often it's determined anatomically, but still you can make 'em grow lifting heavy.

That is what i'm doing. I definitely work hard,lifting the heaviest i can and focus on the glutes every other day but no growth in size.
    How many months does it take to see a change? Would eating more help?
  • philwrightfitness
    philwrightfitness Posts: 122
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jesslo800 wrote: »

That is what i'm doing. I definitely work hard,lifting the heaviest i can and focus on the glutes every other day but no growth in size.
    How many months does it take to see a change? Would eating more help?

Lifting the heaviest you can is not necessarily the recipe for good muscle growth, weights should be around 70 percent of your maximum 1 rep lift and good technique is paramount, eating more protein may help 1g per pound of lean mass
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Fat is not necessarily stored evenly in the body, thus the areas that have the most will show visible loss a lot more slowly than the ones that have less fat to begin with, since fat is stripped off like layers of an onion. A lot of people make the mistake of looking at their fattest areas first while trying to lose, and get discouraged, because it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Better to look to the areas that do look leaner - that means that fat is coming off and if one keeps at it with a decent diet and exercise over time, that tummy/butt/upper arms whatever the trouble spots will go down. But I will say this, as one gets older, mid-section fat is the hardest and most resistant to get rid of, especially in post-menopausal women who are not on some form of HRT.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Fat does not discriminate on body parts. It comes and goes how it feels.