Shakeology for someone with poor diet, starting to improve health

Options

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    To the OP: It sounds as though you have already made up your mind. Hopefully, you are granted the success you crave with the Shakeology. I am confused because I don't see how this product will lead you to better eating habits.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    best place for shakeology

Cat-watches-toilet-flush.gif?
  • smallandunhealthy
    smallandunhealthy Posts: 10
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To libbydoodle: you probably didn't read the whole thread, but I don't eat a lot and have food aversion/potentially allergies. I only eat one meal a day usually at dinner, and it's never really super healthy either, just steak/chicken/fish/pasta/rice. I tend to eat junk food at work to hold me over til dinner. I'm obviously not getting the right nutrients and I'm not sure what I actually can't eat since my body has had bad reactions to food. I think shakeology or another option mentioned here would help get me started while I figure out what foods I can eat.

Also, to everyone who keeps telling me it's a waste of my money: I got it for free from a friend who's husband has lots of bags. I do not intend to buy more.
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    Sorry for the book, but read this when you have time. As far as stores and to find the "cleanest" food sources that are truly organic (which by definition, means no pesticides, non-GMO, etc.), most have decent organic produce and "health" sections these days, but unfortunately the organic label is not always true. The best place for these would be to purchase truly organic seed and grow your own. Herbs and tomatoes in pots are most peoples gateway garden "drugs." We do this but it's not enough yet so I recommend finding local organic farmers and/or integrated pest management farmers. For example, most of our food is organic (we even buy 1/4 cow at a time from local guy all grass fed, no hormones etc). We also will allow integrated pest control - technically not organic, but because of blight issue, our local tomato guy used copper as pesticide - I am fine with that. o me logic always trumps labelling - I looked into it and copper is fine, not a carcinogen, etc. There is no "good" store per se - even whole foods sells gmo junk so you really have to start reading into things on your own. One good resource to start that has company report cards for items you buy at the stores by brand is cornucopia.org. There are other ingredients that are actually natural, yet linked to health issues such as carageenan - so you should stay away from those as well (in some almond milks). The corn that is almost unavoidably gmo is not the "sweet" corn that you eat on the cob - it's the additive/filler type that is used to make maltodextrin and other such nasty fillers. Sweet corn is likely non-gmo if marketed organic, but of course like everything else - do your own studies on these topics and become your own expert. Only you will truly know your body in the end, so research, talk to some doctors (I recommend a naturopath and/or homeopath as well as a nutritionist/dietitian), experiment by adding/subtracting certain foods one at a time over longer periods of time to see how you react (see an allergist first). Learn from and listen to your body. Check out the ingredients of shakeology on your own (all good stuff). I don't know which flavor/type of shakeology you have, but I know that the vegan formulas are known to make a ton of difference with people that have digestive issues more so than the regular flavors. I personally like the regular variety better simply because of lower carb count, but I definitely do feel a difference when using the vegan variety over a couple months. Like most foods/supplements/drugs or whatever - to really tell a difference you have to give it a few weeks to months to really see what it does/doesn't do for you. This is especially true for immune system-regulating adaptogens - some of my personally desired foods that are in shakeology. I am a huge fan of these and have been studying, taking and experimenting with them for many years. When I take them regularly, I simply don't get sick... You can get these for pretty cheap on amazon or at your local health shops for when your shakeology supply runs out. Notable are reishi/ganoderma lucidum, cordyceps, astragalus (very cheap) (my sp. may be off on some of this stuff I typed so look through search suggestions while searching in case). Also pre and pro biotics as well as digestive enzymes - I make my own kefirs, kombuchas and love kimchi and pickles done right (low salt, properly fermented). Also apple cider vinegar, coconut oil... You may also have issues from candida yeast living in your gut too - some of these bolded items may greatly help you. And last but not least - get a really good water filter. I can write a book, but there are already plenty out there, on the toxic garbage in out water supplies... I use a variety including portable water bottles from seychelle with built in filters and have a gravity fed Berkey at home with black filters and the mercury/fluoride filters for the fam when we're at home/cooking/for parties/gatherings... Propur also looks good. Brita/Pur just don't cut it but are better than nothing. I used to use AquaSpace.com carafe filters, but over time something like the Berkey is cheaper and more convenient - replace the fluoride/mercury filters once per year and the black ones every 5-8 years or so (still haven't had to change these). Make a list and look this stuff up and try it little by little. You can buy all this at the store, and if you like, I'd be happy to share recipes and how-tos. I'm not on here too often, but feel free to friend me on fb. Just mention this topic so I know you're not fake/spam friend request. My fb username is coachmigs, searchable name is Mark Migs. Being healthy is the most important thing to strive for, I feel body shape will ultimately happen if you stay healthy. Of course exercise is very important, and will obv get your body there faster. I agree that building some muscle is a good route to go - don't rely on just cardio, and do not be afraid of looking like a hulky woman - it simply won't happen unless you start messing with unnatural means to get there purposely! Find a well balanced routine. I have a whole slew of those I can recommend as well. I wish you well and hope you find your way to being healthy and inevitably happier soon!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Shakeology or any of the others, I've slowly changed my eating habits and increased my exercise.
    You do need to find out if there's a physical reason that you can't stomach so many foods or if it's psychological, for me I wouldn't use shakeology; juice plus etc (they're all too expensive for me in any case), for me they wouldn't be a long term solution and it's long term plan that you really need to succeed.
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options
    lol at drinking that garbage.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    U can make smoothies for yourself, customized to your particular requirements. All you need is a food processor or blender. This prepackaged stuff is a giant waste of money and tends to have ingredients that are questionable, or be sold by scammy multilevel marketing companies. Get some protein powder and fruits and veggies and DIY. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    CoachMigs wrote: »
    Sorry for the book, but read this when you have time. As far as stores and to find the "cleanest" food sources that are truly organic (which by definition, means no pesticides, non-GMO, etc.),

So, by definition, no fruit or veggies at all, right?

I mean, I have a zester tree in my backyard that isn't treated at all, but the zestar in and of itself is technically a GMO.... It was born at the University of Minnesota and released in 1999. Does this mean it is not OK to eat.....it is a GMO....just like a seedless watermelon and all the fruit we love to eat that grow bigger, sweeter, and with less seeds.

• RGv2
    Options
    Sorry for the book, but read this when you have time. As far as stores and to find the "cleanest" food sources that are truly organic (which by definition, means no pesticides, non-GMO, etc.), most have decent organic produce and "health" sections these days, but unfortunately the organic label is not always true. The best place for these would be to purchase truly organic seed and grow your own. Herbs and tomatoes in pots are most peoples gateway garden "drugs." We do this but it's not enough yet so I recommend finding local organic farmers and/or integrated pest management farmers. For example, most of our food is organic (we even buy 1/4 cow at a time from local guy all grass fed, no hormones etc). We also will allow integrated pest control - technically not organic, but because of blight issue, our local tomato guy used copper as pesticide - I am fine with that. o me logic always trumps labelling - I looked into it and copper is fine, not a carcinogen, etc. There is no "good" store per se - even whole foods sells gmo junk so you really have to start reading into things on your own. One good resource to start that has company report cards for items you buy at the stores by brand is cornucopia.org. There are other ingredients that are actually natural, yet linked to health issues such as carageenan - so you should stay away from those as well (in some almond milks). The corn that is almost unavoidably gmo is not the "sweet" corn that you eat on the cob - it's the additive/filler type that is used to make maltodextrin and other such nasty fillers. Sweet corn is likely non-gmo if marketed organic, but of course like everything else - do your own studies on these topics and become your own expert. Only you will truly know your body in the end, so research, talk to some doctors (I recommend a naturopath and/or homeopath as well as a nutritionist/dietitian), experiment by adding/subtracting certain foods one at a time over longer periods of time to see how you react (see an allergist first). Learn from and listen to your body. Check out the ingredients of shakeology on your own (all good stuff). I don't know which flavor/type of shakeology you have, but I know that the vegan formulas are known to make a ton of difference with people that have digestive issues more so than the regular flavors. I personally like the regular variety better simply because of lower carb count, but I definitely do feel a difference when using the vegan variety over a couple months. Like most foods/supplements/drugs or whatever - to really tell a difference you have to give it a few weeks to months to really see what it does/doesn't do for you. This is especially true for immune system-regulating adaptogens - some of my personally desired foods that are in shakeology. I am a huge fan of these and have been studying, taking and experimenting with them for many years. When I take them regularly, I simply don't get sick... You can get these for pretty cheap on amazon or at your local health shops for when your shakeology supply runs out. Notable are reishi/ganoderma lucidum, cordyceps, astragalus (very cheap) (my sp. may be off on some of this stuff I typed so look through search suggestions while searching in case). Also pre and pro biotics as well as digestive enzymes - I make my own kefirs, kombuchas and love kimchi and pickles done right (low salt, properly fermented). Also apple cider vinegar, coconut oil... You may also have issues from candida yeast living in your gut too - some of these bolded items may greatly help you. And last but not least - get a really good water filter. I can write a book, but there are already plenty out there, on the toxic garbage in out water supplies... I use a variety including portable water bottles from seychelle with built in filters and have a gravity fed Berkey at home with black filters and the mercury/fluoride filters for the fam when we're at home/cooking/for parties/gatherings... Propur also looks good. Brita/Pur just don't cut it but are better than nothing. I used to use AquaSpace.com carafe filters, but over time something like the Berkey is cheaper and more convenient - replace the fluoride/mercury filters once per year and the black ones every 5-8 years or so (still haven't had to change these). Make a list and look this stuff up and try it little by little. You can buy all this at the store, and if you like, I'd be happy to share recipes and how-tos. I'm not on here too often, but feel free to friend me on fb. Just mention this topic so I know you're not fake/spam friend request. My fb username is coachmigs, searchable name is Mark Migs. Being healthy is the most important thing to strive for, I feel body shape will ultimately happen if you stay healthy. Of course exercise is very important, and will obv get your body there faster. I agree that building some muscle is a good route to go - don't rely on just cardio, and do not be afraid of looking like a hulky woman - it simply won't happen unless you start messing with unnatural means to get there purposely! Find a well balanced routine. I have a whole slew of those I can recommend as well. I wish you well and hope you find your way to being healthy and inevitably happier soon!

This is the biggest bunch of hooey I have ever seen.

Poster was going to come back and start an "all the toxins we ingest" thread a few weeks ago....I missed it though.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I believe that disorder (ridiculous rules for "clean" eating, thinking everything's toxic) is called Orthorexia. There is professional help for that.
  • CoachMigs
    Options
    Again - use logic when it comes to GMOs. I am fine with hybridization and crossbreeding of fruits, veggies, and even animals... some of my fav dog breeds wouldn't exist without these methods :p In general, fruits and veggies in general are "good" and "fine" in my book. I disagree with things such as using modern biotechnology to synthesize DNA, and then inserting this construct into the host organism where in no way shape or form would it happen naturally. They've been biotech engineering veggies with things like viruses, animal and even human DNA... I stay away from these (like Monsanto's frankenstein creations). On that note - look into Monsanto, what they create, and stay away from that! That right there is a good start. My food rule of thumb in a nutshell: Food from farmers=good. Food from mad scientists=bad. I doubt the zestar apple was genetically modified with animal/insect DNA - it was likely crossbred/hybridized. Also, the Organic label is SUPPOSED to mean no pesticides among other things. I think this is very important for overall health. Here's the definition of GMOs that I tend to go by: http://gmo-awareness.com/all-about-gmos/gmo-defined/
  • RGv2
    Options
    Again - use logic when it comes to GMOs. I am fine with hybridization and crossbreeding of fruits, veggies, and even animals... some of my fav dog breeds wouldn't exist without these methods :p In general, fruits and veggies in general are "good" and "fine" in my book. I disagree with things such as using modern biotechnology to synthesize DNA, and then inserting this construct into the host organism where in no way shape or form would it happen naturally. They've been biotech engineering veggies with things like viruses, animal and even human DNA... I stay away from these (like Monsanto's frankenstein creations). On that note - look into Monsanto, what they create, and stay away from that! That right there is a good start. My food rule of thumb in a nutshell: Food from farmers=good. Food from mad scientists=bad. I doubt the zestar apple was genetically modified with animal/insect DNA - it was likely crossbred/hybridized. Also, the Organic label is SUPPOSED to mean no pesticides among other things. I think this is very important for overall health. Here's the definition of GMOs that I tend to go by: http://gmo-awareness.com/all-about-gmos/gmo-defined/

Do you have any non-propaganda sites?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    best place for shakeology

Cat-watches-toilet-flush.gif?
    qft

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

So I take it you don't use vaccines or vaccinate/plan to vaccinate your children.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. For someone who is just getting started - to start their entire fitness foundation at the beginning on a fad, meal replacement program full of propaganda and a huge percentage of gaining back the weight - seems like a shoddy foundation. If I was just starting out, I would teach myself the real nutritional basics, get a fundamental understanding of how biology and exercise and nutrition work together and practice consistency in activity for three months and then level up. But nowhere in there would I include anything to do with Beach Body, Shakeology, meal replacement, diet pills, extreme carb diets or anything other than 'normal'. You can't fake looking healthy. You either are or you aren't.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this thread screams eating disorder....26 year old female at 87 pounds and is "relearning" how to eat fruits ....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Also I think very important: have you tried organic vs "regular" fruits & veggies? You may be very sensitive to pesticides and other toxins that are polluting our food supplies... It may be simple as you needing "clean" food and avoiding the gmo's and pesticides. Do you have any fruits/veggies that you have ever been able to keep down or say you like?

Organic fruits and veggies are still treated with pesticides.

I was going to say the same thing....

MFP = wow! LOL
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I also would like to state that selling multilevel marketing products does NOT entitle someone to claim that they are a coach of any sort. You are simply a vendor. Know why that guy has all these bags of it he is giving away? Because the company has him stock up on it, under the premise that he will sell it... only people see the price, and/or find out it's an MLM product, and they walk away and don't buy. Leaving him literally holding the bag and having to give the stuff away for free. MLMs are all scams, the primary target being the vendors, while the company laughs all the way to the bank... and no, I don't care what kind of success stories the vendors tell you. Those are fake, designed to suck you into the pyramid as well.

rant/psa over.
  • smallandunhealthy
    smallandunhealthy Posts: 10
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this thread screams eating disorder....26 year old female at 87 pounds and is "relearning" how to eat fruits ....

ndj1979: Wow, kind of rude for someone to assume an eating disorder without reading all the information provided?

I am not 87 pounds. I stated previous that I was around 87 now while in college because I was naturally very skinny and active. I'm right under 100 lbs now. I'm also 4'11-5' so the my current weight is pretty reasonable. I'm also Asian, my mom is around my height and my Dad is 5'4", so again, my size is pretty standard. My weight isn't actually the issue, I'm more concerned because I'm uncomfortable in my clothes since I've gotten larger in my stomach and back.

Also, as I stated in some of the first posts, I could not keep food down as a child. I used to vomit most food that was given to me as an infant (I could not even drink milk), and some of these things stuck around throughout childhood. That's what I'm "relearning" - I'm trying to start eating fruits and vegetables that used to make me sick.

For all the people who are putting my on blast for "wasting" my money on a gifted (aka FREE) bag of shakeology, I've drank it all this week. It's not helping much and doesn't taste good, but it's better than not eating. I have an appointment with a doctor and a nutrionist next week. Hopefully after that I can drop this shake and get some foods that won't make me sick.

Just felt the need to clarify some things. I'm not wasting any money because I didn't spend any and I do not have an eating disorder.

This thread is becoming extremely ridiculous and off topic.