Staying or Going?

Options
RaspberryTickleChicken
RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
edited October 2014 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
As I've peruse the 'Intro' & 'Get Started' forums I see a lot of folks returning to MFP.

Some just stopped logging while others stopped once they achieved their goals but has returned due to regaining weight.

SO I'm wondering:
  • Do you plan to continue to use MFP & why? And how active do you think you will be? ie forums MFP friend status 'likes' & comments etc.
  • OR if you plan on discontinuing MFP, do you plan for nature to take it's course & just gradually stop logging or an abrupt conscious decision not to continue to log? Why? ie. not getting anything out of MFP any more etc.

... Just my morbid curiosity :s

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I plan on continuing logging, hope I can get good habits and not have to do it every day, but I think I will still use it a lot, I have seen too many people come back and gained a bunch of weight, that is too scary. I like to take a weekend off once in a while but I cant do vacation without logging, I don't mind going over some but it does keep me accountable. I have gained as much as 7-8 lbs over vacation so I know I need it, sad but the truth. Maintaining couple of years now.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I use MFP quite frequently. Except the Food Diary. It just has too many glitches. I log my food at "another" website, and copy/paste the url to my news feed here so that my friends can view it. But the forums here are good for suggestions and inspiration.
  • hrtunstall
    hrtunstall Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I plan on continuing also. I need a means of monitoring & I actually like having daily knowledge of what I ate, how many calories I took in and how many I expended by which exercises. I see it as another life discipline now; one that has finally shown me how to lose weight (& eventually maintain it) and still enjoy life. Why wouldn't I want that? Also, just from lurking on the forums here & at reddit/loseit, I see many people who are back because they stopped & now have to lose again. I don't want to be that person. BTW, I don't think it is morbid curiosity. I am interested as well. :)
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I plan to stay with MFP. It's too simple and easy to log now, and it's part of my daily routine. I know from past experience that if I am not vigilant I will regain all I've lost and then some. I don't want to be that person anymore. I hit my goal weight in April and I've been trying to find my maintenance point since then. I've lost an additional 10 lbs since that time, but I've been holding steady scale-wise for the past month, so I'm feeling good about what I'm doing. I don't post a lot, but I do reply to my MFPeeps and "like" their posts daily. I got a lot of support during this journey and I want to give that back.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I log on several times a day. I no longer log my food but use the food database to research foods. I read the message boards and learn lots of great stuff. I'm pretty sure I will be a lifer.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    When I open my browser, my first tab loads FB, and my second loads MFP. After logging calories on various websites and apps over the last 3+ years I can't imagine not doing it ever again.

So, if you see a 'returning to mfp' thread from me, it's because I went to another service for a while, however, I like mfp better than livestrong or calorie count.

54850889.png
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I plan to continue on MFP. logging daily and checking in on certain groups. Having reached GW I find that different groups are now of interest - overtime I have moved away from some groups and joined others more relevant maintenance.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I came here in a "well, why not?" mindset, but realized I had to stay when I came to terms with my addictive relationship with food. Keeping track of what I eat, even when I go over my daily goal, keeps me honest with myself and forces me to look at why I'm eating. This has been the most freeing experience of my life; I cannot imagine not doing this!
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I came to stay. I love the people on here, the support on here and just the blogs and posts are always entertaining, informational or you can give advice.
    I'm not at where I want to be yet but if I get there, I'm going to stay on here
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Well, I've met my weight goals and left MFP twice, and each time I ended up putting weight back on. So I'll be around as long as it takes for me to learn how to eat at a healthy caloric intake.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I plan to keep logging. Not sure how active I'll be - likely not very - but I'll still be coming by to make sure I'm eating well. Eventually I might only log Mon-Fri or a couple days a week just to make sure that everything is on track. Maybe if I find that it's relatively easy for me to keep at maintenance I'll log off entirely and only log in if my weight is on the higher end of my ideal range. Logging isn't difficult, even when weighing everything.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I plan on continuing THIS TIME. I lost 40 lbs last year and gained it back and then some. The crazy holidays messed me up and I figured a day wouldn't hurt me not to log and then that turned into a few days and then they had Cokes at a family gathering and I said, what the heck, it's Christmas... It was a gradual decline for me. I didn't get the kick in the butt that I needed to get back moving again until I gained the weight back. I watched myself grow back again and was angry but did nothing until I weighed more than when I started last time. It's insane. If I'd taken a month or two off, I would be fine. I think I'll continue for a long time after I hit my goals even. It's too easy to mess up and gain the weight back. And maybe I'll learn better discipline this time.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Today I met my goal weight, but I'm definitely hanging around for awhile. I'll continue to log my food daily until I've maintained my weight without any set backs for at least a few months.

For me, it was mostly about breaking bad habits, and I'm still working on some of them. I know if I quit logging, I'll gain again.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I intend to stay. I use the food diary not only to make sure I eat enough protein, fat and fiber, but I also use it to plan my family's meals, so I can prepare food from scratch in a rush. I also like having my food and exercise in one place, and that it coordinates so well with Garmin Connect. I have a great group of friends on here, and I like "liking" their activities and seeing how they've progressed from losing to maintaining to competing in races. That's just so cool!

I peruse the forums, but don't contribute so much. I get tired to seeing people posting quite silly questions that they could have answered themselves with a quick Google.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    nvpixie wrote: »
    Today I met my goal weight, but I'm definitely hanging around for awhile. I'll continue to log my food daily until I've maintained my weight without any set backs for at least a few months.

For me, it was mostly about breaking bad habits, and I'm still working on some of them. I know if I quit logging, I'll gain again.

Congrats!
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging a few weeks ago. The reason is college. I can't really weigh my food there without coming across as a super-weirdo and that's not what college students want, lol. Plus, I'm already very skinny so I don't "need" to track anymore.
    I've always been quite disciplined, never a binger, so I know that I can control my weight even if I do not track every my food. MFP is a very useful tool to uncover your weaknesses when it comes to food, now I know them and won't give in to them again.

So i planned not to return, but I will be kind of bedridden for the next few weeks and I'm going to track my intake again so I won't gain too much weight not doing any exercise. After that, I'll completely leave MFP I think ...
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    sushi549 wrote: »
    nvpixie wrote: »

Congrats!

Thank you :smiley:

• BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Been logging every day for almost 2 and a half years now. Don't plan to stop - ever. It's become too much of a habit. :)
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am here to stay. I can not imagine not logging my meals or keeping in daily touch with those that have helped me meet my goals. I have support here and have friends that understand the struggles of weight loss unlike those at home that mock and wait for my failure. This site keeps honest, accountable and motivated.
    60817891.png
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I used to log to lose weight and then to keep myself honest so I didn't drift back into bad habits. Now I find more often that I'm not eating ENOUGH and use logging to make sure I don't go under too much.

I like logging and do it out of habit. I've logged every day for 3.5 years and so am usually on the site 3-5 times a day. I've maintained for 1.5-2.4 years, depending on when you count 'hitting goal'. I stopped checking the forums as frequently in the last two months as part of my plan to waste less time on the internet. But I have been relapsing the last few days. I expect to slow down soon as I've said anything useful I've had to say on the forums - probably two or three times over.