Help! I'm going to the Texas Rennisance Festival!

desweds
desweds Posts: 126 Member
OK, I'm going to renfaire and I want to eat sensibly.

I won't be drinking alcohol. At all. (I know - why even go, right?)

Yipe. The food. So horribly caloric. Yeah, I know. Eat less. OK, I will.

I'll be walking and dancing and wenching all day and into the night. For some reason I can't find any workouts called wenching - what is this? The 21st century?

I thought I could eat a roasted turkey leg - how bad can that be? MFP is confusing on this one. Is one roasted turkey leg really over 1000 calories? Double yipe!

TurkeyLEGS.jpg

Anyone got any ideas on how to keep this from getting out of hand?

Replies

• caitlinmichelle33
    caitlinmichelle33 Posts: 14 Member
    So jealous! I used to go to the renfaire every year till I moved out of state. I say go with the turkey leg! You'll be walking around and you can always pull the skin off and eat the meat. Plus it's a special occasion :) Enjoy!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    edited October 2014
    My strategy is: Get one, enjoy it, log it and then move on.

You didn't gain the weight by eating extravagantly once. You won't be doing this daily, it's okay to let life get in the way. Just log it, realize it can't happen regularly, and move on.

ETA: I have noticed that I get fuller now, than I did when I was a human garbage disposal. I cannot eat like I used to. So, you might find that the one turkey leg is too much, or after you eat it you realize that you don't particularly want anything else.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Eat the freaking food. How often do you go? A few treats a year in an otherwise active and healthy lifestyle won't hurt you.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Every time I go to ren fest I lose weight regardless of what I eat, just from all the walking. Go, have a good time, buy some nice stuffs, and worry about your diet tomorrow. At least that's what I generally do.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I do not see how a turkey leg would be over 1000 calories I looked in the food diary and most were 100-300 calories except for the turkey leg at seaworld that was out of hand. Anyways eat the turkey leg get rid of the skin and eat the meat it should be fine. Remember to have fun and keep your body moving.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Get the turkey leg. Not sure if it's really 1000 calories, but if you're that concerned, split it with someone. I'd go all out and have a ball. :happy:
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Not sure where you saw over 1000 calories for a leg but here's what I found:

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-turkey-leg-with-skin-fryer-roasters-roasted_f-ZmlkPTE2NzIwMg.html
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-baked-turkey-leg-131151414

Not sure the weight of the particular one you will be eating but it doesn't seem horrible. Either way, enjoy yourself! One day is not going to distory your progross
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I've never been at the Texas faire, although I've performed at Arizona, Southern Cal, Bristol and Carolina. Every show I've done has some kind of roasted corn and a version of steak on a stake, so there are lower-calorie choices available. Have you had a festival turkey leg? They're massive. Definitely enough to share with another person, or you can eat half and ask them for some foil and a bag so you can take the rest home. (I've seen lots of people at the turkey leg stands at the end of the day, buying some to wrap up and take home. It's not as weird as it sounds).
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    I go to the Texas Ren Fest twice a year and never have a food problem, even when I wasn't eating at a deficit. They have a ton of options, plus you end up walking for eight or so hours.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    RenFest is usually an annual thing, so don't worry about it too much. Eat what you want and try to log it as best as you can. If you're really concerned, do an extra workout that morning or the day before/after and use a pedometer to log your steps since you'll probably be walking more than usual.

Most importantly, have fun and don't miss the Ded Bob Show or Sound and Fury!
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    I would go with grilled chicken on a skewer, (unsalted) soft pretzel, jerky....

I'm not sure what all they have there but it won't hurt for one day to go a little overboard. Just try to keep portion sizes in check.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Now I'm feeling kind of sad. I used to live pretty close to Sterling, NY, and they have an excellent Ren Faire there. Just amazing. It was the only one I'd ever been to until I went to the Georgia Ren Faire. It was horrible. If I hadn't had free tickets and used the trip to visit family, I would have been angry about it.

I've heard TX has a good one, though.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    DO NOT be a muggle.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Sound delish! Eat the meat and fat....stay away from carbs
  • desweds
    "Eat the food". Yeah...that's not a good idea. I don't share that philosophy. Left to my own carnal culinary desires I can easily - EASILY - eat way in excess of 6-8000 calories in food and booze.

I have to keep the brakes on. I'm going to have fun but I can't - won't go back to my evil ways.

So no. I won't just "eat the food".
  • desweds
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    My strategy is: Get one, enjoy it, log it and then move on.

You didn't gain the weight by eating extravagantly once. You won't be doing this daily, it's okay to let life get in the way. Just log it, realize it can't happen regularly, and move on.

ETA: I have noticed that I get fuller now, than I did when I was a human garbage disposal. I cannot eat like I used to. So, you might find that the one turkey leg is too much, or after you eat it you realize that you don't particularly want anything else.

Thanks Kasey. Good stuff there.
  • desweds
    agal129 wrote: »
    I would go with grilled chicken on a skewer, (unsalted) soft pretzel, jerky....

I'm not sure what all they have there but it won't hurt for one day to go a little overboard. Just try to keep portion sizes in check.

Forgot about Meat - On A Stick! Thanks!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    According to calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-turkey-leg-with-skin-fryer-roasters-roasted_f-ZmlkPTE2NzIwMg.htmlhttp:// an 11.5 oz leg is 417 cal (which sounds more reasonable to me)
  • desweds
    acheben wrote: »

Most importantly, have fun and don't miss the Ded Bob Show or Sound and Fury!

I love me some Ded Bob. I'm so going to get Bobified.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    blink1021 wrote: »
    I do not see how a turkey leg would be over 1000 calories I looked in the food diary and most were 100-300 calories except for the turkey leg at seaworld that was out of hand. Anyways eat the turkey leg get rid of the skin and eat the meat it should be fine. Remember to have fun and keep your body moving.
    Ren faire turkey legs definitely don't weigh 4oz! They really are huge.

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    It's probably just under 800 calories. Maybe you could carry your food scale with you and weigh the leg, eat the meat and skin, then subtract the weight of the bone.

Or you could eat the leg and move on.
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Eat! Drink! Be Merry!

When I go to our local RenFaire, it is a "cheat day" and I just have fun without worrying.
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    so fun!!!!!! wenching has to burn lots of calories.... have fun... corn on the cobb and meat.. nothing fried, easier said than done, I'm sure