Breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    It takes the body some hours to digest dinner. The longer you can fast after dinner up to a certain point, the longer fat burn window. "Break fast", it lies in the name. When you start feeding the body at the start of the day, it stops burning fat.

I see what you're getting at. The body will "switch gears," so to speak, when you eat. But in the big picture (over weeks, months, years) the determining factor of how much weight you've lost is always the calorie balance (in vs. out). Don't spend too much time worrying about when you're anabolic or catabolic.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    The whole 'three square meals a day' thing doesn't have to apply to everyone. I practically never eat breakfast, much like yourself it makes me feel a bit nauseous to eat in the morning, I don't like eating before 11am, normally it's more like noon before I want something, so I just have lunch, dinner, and a few snacks throughout the day when I'm peckish (also like yourself, I prefer evening snacking.) Breakfast is good fuel for a busy morning of course, but it's not good forcing yourself to eat something you really don't want to, especially when the result is feeling sick. If you're getting decent daily nutrition and meeting your calorie goal, do whatever is right for you, even if that means skipping the 'most important meal of the day' (I dislike that phrase, lol.)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    eat when you are hungry... and breakfast is the first meal of the day :wink:
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    What about elevenses?
  • vtroys
    vtroys Posts: 16
    Options
    Research intermittent fasting...you eat from 11 am to 7 pm....it is interesting.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week at around 6:30am. Afterward I usually have some type of smoothie with protein and greek yogurt.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast (I'm hypoglycemic and my morning sugar levels are way to low not to. However ever since I was pregnant with my first child food first thing in the morning makes me gag. I finally found that I could do protein shakes ( I use the lean 25 from GNC) I mix it with one serving frozen mixed fruit, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 cup water (averages 310-360 calories depending on the fruit I use, I also toss in a cup of baby spinach every now and then). I get enough carbs to up my sugar levels to normal, protein to help (which helps keep sugar levels from crashing) and I don't feel like i'm going to gag trying to get food down to early. I can say that if it wasn't for the low sugars and needing to eat, I wouldn't eat my first meal of the day until at least noon.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Seriously, where the fk is Steve? That's like 3 breakfasts threads he's missed.

lol I was thinking that too
  • kirstyk05
    kirstyk05 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I only started eating breakfast 2 weeks ago when I started on MFP.

I honestly have never ate breakfast previously and have found that eating it the past 2 weeks have stopped me from eating more later on throughout the day :)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Never used to it made me feel ill to eat to early

do now and I've got used to it so I kind of want to - but it's generally only around 200 calories (bowl of porridge with honey or toast with cottage cheese, avocado and tomato if at home)

I don't believe it matters if you do or don't to be honest - just keep track of your daily / weekly intake
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    DSTMT wrote: »
    Seriously, where the fk is Steve? That's like 3 breakfasts threads he's missed.

lol I was thinking that too
    I wonder what happened. Did the government kidnap him because he "knows to much"?

hahahaha Big Cereal strikes again
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, but my Doctor told me it was part of my problem. He said that it makes your metabolism enter "starvation mode" and then it stores anything you eat as fat, thinking that you are "starving." I don't eat much for breakfast, but I grab a banana or an apple on my out the door in the morning to eat in the car.

You know 99% of doctors aren't registered dietitians or nutritionists, right? Starvation mode is nothing but a myth. Your metabolism doesn't drop unless you're eating SEVERELY under your needs for an extended period of time.