So Confused About Weight Loss

Options
Hello,

I had a baby 2 months ago and I am working on getting back to my prepregnancy weight. I am 5'9 and currently weigh 137 with a goal weight of 130. I am exercising a lot...I used to do triathlons and am working back to doing them again so my workouts burn 400-800 calories. I strictly do swimming,biking,running. I am on a high protein plan and probably eat about 1200-1300 calories a day. I am not a big eater, I actually have to drink a lot of calories through protein shakes so I know I'm not eating more than this amount. I seem to have hit a plateau though and I'm curious if any body has some ideas as to why this is happening. I haven't lost weight in several weeks. I feel good working out though. Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You say you "probably" eat 1200-1300 calories per day. So.....how do you know how many calories per day you're eating? Can you open your diary?
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    you had a baby 2 months ago... give your body some time to recover from being pregnant. someone i used to know once told me "it took you 9 months to gain that weight, don't worry if it takes 9 months to lose the weight."
  • noquietending
    noquietending Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know much, but when I hit a plateau I start looking at the details. You may be eating only 1200 calories on a high-protein plan, but where are the other calories coming from? Carbs? How much sugar is there in your protein shakes? Are you getting enough fat?

Think about changing up your workout routine...maybe some crossfit or lifting? When you run, is it just a jog? Try doing sprint intervals instead, or run up a hill.

Just some thoughts.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    137 is a very healthy weight (even a little underweight) for someone who's 5'9.

You weight 137 pounds 8 weeks after giving birth? I should hate you :#
  • Jess400
    Jess400 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay I think I made it public. I haven't been using the app much bc I've been following a strict plan where I weigh out my portions for the week so I know exactly how much I'm getting. I'm going to start using the app everyday though. Maybe my ratios of carbs-fat-protein are off?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Not to be depressing or anything but you just had a baby. Our bodies change quite a bit during that whole process. It may be that you aren't going to be able to lose those last 7 pounds without a lot of sacrifice. Rather than a scale number as a goal why not a tape measure goal or even a running or triathlon goal? Does it really matter what that number says on the scale if you look and feel great?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and you do not need to lose weight. You would probably be better off with body recomposition than weight loss, especially if you are looking to get back into triathlons.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally considered to be something like 4-6+ weeks without a loss (or gain) while making no changes to your routine. Is this what you're experiencing or are you using the word more colloquially to refer to a period of 1-2 weeks without a loss?

If it's only been a couple of weeks, then it could be a normal stall due to the normal water weight fluctuations in our bodies. If it's been more than a couple of weeks, then you're either eating more than you think or burning less or some combination of the two.
  • Jess400
    Options
    I know it's a healthy weight but I've always been very in shape and I want to get back to where I was.

My workouts are pretty much the same. I jog 4 miles at a 10 min/mile pace. Swim workouts are a mile straight then a mile of pull/kick. Biking is 12-20 miles straight on flat roads. Sometimes I brisk walk on off days or if my ankle is bothering me...even then I go 3 miles.
  • Jess400
    Options
    A plateau is generally considered to be something like 4-6+ weeks without a loss (or gain) while making no changes to your routine. Is this what you're experiencing or are you using the word more colloquially to refer to a period of 1-2 weeks without a loss?

If it's only been a couple of weeks, then it could be a normal stall due to the normal water weight fluctuations in our bodies. If it's been more than a couple of weeks, then you're either eating more than you think or burning less or some combination of the two.

No I am using the term plateau incorrectly then. I've been at the same weight for 2 weeks. I'll continue to monitor for another 2 weeks and see how it goes.