I'm officially done losing weight, AMA

Options
Before you ask:
I've lost 50 pounds
I'm 6' 170
I lift (SL 5x5) Monday Wednesday and Friday, and run Tuesday and Thursday
I plan on maintaining at 2600 calories until March, and then losing whatever fat is left
I ate at a 500 calorie deficit the entire time, with 140 grams of protein, 80 grams of fat, and minimal carbs every day

I'd love to help some people who are just starting, I used to read these threads all the time in March/April and I never thought I'd be the one making the thread.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    ahhh well done… thanks for the info..congrats!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    AMA? Against medical advice?
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Glickman!
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Ask me anything
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    glickman1 wrote: »

Ask me anything

Makes more sense. :)

Congratulations! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I'm glad you asked. I've never seen AMA, except maybe American Medical Assoc.!

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done :-)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Good job!

...but 140 grams a day?! More? Man, I peeked at your diary, you get as much protein into breakfast as I manage in the whole day. Well done.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I assumed "against medical advice" too and thus my initial thought was "but 170 seems like a perfectly appropriate weight for his height."

Congrats!
  • glickman1
    Options
    Good job!

...but 140 grams a day?! More? Man, I peeked at your diary, you get as much protein into breakfast as I manage in the whole day. Well done.

Eating too much protein has zero downside, and it's pretty filling. So I like to get as much as possible
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    There are studies now that show that high protein diets are linked to increased incidence of cancer. Though it seems like many things eventually are.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/03/04/the-protein-puzzle-meat-and-dairy-may-significantly-increase-cancer-risk/
  • glickman1
    Options
    There are studies now that show that high protein diets are linked to increased incidence of cancer. Though it seems like many things eventually are.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/03/04/the-protein-puzzle-meat-and-dairy-may-significantly-increase-cancer-risk/

You said it yourself, anything can be linked to cancer nowadays
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Yeah, a lot does. I'm still sticking to the general recs of 45-50g for myself, though. I have no 'beefs' with anyone who chooses to eat a lot of meat protein, though. Maybe re-think it later in life, especially if you get gout.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I eat a high protein diet (currently shoot for about 165g per day) because I find it easier to reach my calorie goals and remain satiated and because, combined with a resistance program, higher protein intake limits LBM loss when losing weight (i.e., lose more fat, less lean body mass, including muscle, when in a deficit).

However - there were some interesting studies re: cancer and mortality about higher protein diets at different age groups published recently. I am too lazy to track them down again (or to remember precisely what I thought of the study protocols), but here's a popular press write-up of one that showed some concern over high protein diets in folks aged 50 - 65. As I recall, there was something else interesting about the same time that showed some really positive correlation (not necessarily causation, please note - same as above reporting) between higher protein diets and health markers and mortality among folks over 65 (i.e., higher protein diets had positive correlation re cancer and general mortality).

EDIT: After multiple tries, I am giving up on the link working correctly in the new forum. Google "protein 50 - 65 year olds" and you'll find lots of popular press on the first study I was trying to link.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Wow impressive
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Haha, that's what I thought too.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What was your daily calorie intake to lose the weight? Wish I could maintain on 2600 lol