Best way to meassure my progress?

Options
So, basically I'm of a normal healthy weight, and not terribly out of shape, so I'm not necessarily looking to lose weight or even that many centimeters, I want to get stronger, fitter and more athletic - shape up and get a more sporty body.
But how would you best keep track of my progress? I read those body fat % scales are really inaccurate? And I can take pics, but it'd probably take a while to see a noticeable change that'd show up in pics, so what could I best do on a weekly basis to motivate me that change is happening from all the exercise? Suggestions/input, please?

Replies

• stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Photos and measurements--but I personally do it monthly, not weekly, so the differences are more noticeable and more motivating. If you are walking or running or lifting, keep track of times/distance/reps...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if you're trying to get stronger, then tracking the weight you're lifting is a good measure. if you're doing some sort of endurance training, tracking time is something to do. take pics and compare them monthly. obv track scale weight and measurements.
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    Thanks. I mostly follow classes, they're all 55 min. each. If scheduled right, two in a row with a mere 5 min. break, and I'm usually too bored to do my own thing at the gym that I can track, so I guess I'll mostly compare pics occasionally and be happy when I can put more weight on my barbell or use a heavier kettlebell. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    if you're trying to get stronger, then tracking the weight you're lifting is a good measure. if you're doing some sort of endurance training, tracking time is something to do. take pics and compare them monthly. obv track scale weight and measurements.

This.

Pick a few lifts to use as benchmarks and track the weight you use over time. Do the same for cardio workouts.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I mostly follow classes, they're all 55 min. each. If scheduled right, two in a row with a mere 5 min. break, and I'm usually too bored to do my own thing at the gym that I can track, so I guess I'll mostly compare pics occasionally and be happy when I can put more weight on my barbell or use a heavier kettlebell. :)

I have a bit of experience on the teaching side of fitness classes and there's two things you should know. One, the people in the videos you're watching did NOT get in shape like that using videos like that. Two, the best you'll usually get from those classes is mediocre. The reason is that the classes are already too hard for the totally out of shape beginners that are attracted to them, so the instructor can never make them hard enough to challenge the class vets that could benefit from a more difficult routine. They'll give you a heavier weight or some sort of mod but it still won't be enough.

So if you're at the point where you're killing your classes, it's time to do your own thing.