What has been your experience increasing your water intake?

I drink a gallon by lunch and another by bedtime. Although I have to make frequent pit stops, I think besides eating a good deal of protein and reducing the carbs and fats, it is one of the most important weapons to burn body fat.

Thoughts? Do you add lemon to get a diuretic effect?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Increasing it will make you go to the bathroom more. It also will help with weight from water retention. Other than that, burning body fat comes from calorie deficit.
    And if you're getting up in the middle of the night frequently to use the bathroom, then body fat burn isn't as effective (since the body burn 100% fat when it's at rest).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,756 Member
    I drink roughly a gallon most days, but I try to cut it off about 1-1.5hrs before bed, because once I am sleeping the last thing I want is waking up to pee. I like it because my skin is smoother and less dry, but as for a weight loss tool... only in that if I am hungry, I will drink first, then re-assess my actual hunger.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2014
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Other than that, burning body fat comes from calorie deficit.

I do not think fat metabolism is simply calories in and out, especially, if one is concerned about maintaining muscle mass. Since dehydration has impact on metabolism and has an influence fat metabolism, the more dehydrated a person is, the slower the fat metabolism is regardless of the caloric deficit. Dehydration leads "to the inhibition of the glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in the liver" where fatty acids are metabolized.

In conclusion, under an optimal state of hydration, a modest caloric deficit should result in a decrease in body fat while maintaining lean muscle mass (assuming adequate protein consumption is maintained). However, in a chronically dehydrated state, the body may actually not break down fat as efficiently as possible.

That said, getting up in the middle of the night is certainly something to try to avoid. A good nights sleep will help lower cortisol levels.

• Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    I've been notoriously a non-water drinker. I've had to work up to drinking adequate water. I started at 2 glasses a day and over the past month worked up to 6 glasses (I think the other 2 comes from food, 6 seems to be a good number if I don't do much exercise, and I need about 2 cups of water per hour of moderate exercise). At first I had to pee a lot, and then gradually my body adjusted and requires the higher amount of water now, so I'm figuring I was chronically dehydrated before. Before I drank more water, I'd only pee maybe once or twice a day, now it's triple that.

I also find that drinking water helps with moderating food intake. It also helps me prevent headaches and get over them faster without medication (before, if I got a headache, it wouldn't go away for three days unless I used painkillers! Now if I get a headache it's gone in an hour without meds. This is just AMAZING to me), prevents me from feeling really sleepy during the day (even if I've missed some sleep) and seems to help my skin to feel less dry. I also bloat a lot less. A LOT less. Water, the miracle drug! :o

If your pee in the morning is dark, I've read that means you should drink more water in the evening, because you haven't retained enough to get you through the night. Of course, peeing a bunch during the night might mean too much water before bed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I pee more. Yeah, that's about it.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    I pee more forsure. I also have better digestion, better skin and hair quality without product and I can push harder while exerting a lot (say HIIT for example) where as before I would feel faint or weak faster and definitely needed to stop mid workout feeling thirsty before continuing.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    I drink slightly more water during the day so I have a reason to get up from my desk. Also it helps me feel a little more full. Otherwise I have no illusions about it helping with weight loss.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    more pee, better skin, even trade.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    I spend a lot more time in the loo :) also my skin looks tons better and I tend to eat less ( apart from today).
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Just a reminder that not everyone should up their water intake. It shouldn't hurt if you are in good health, but I have heart failure and my fluid intake is limited to 55 oz. a day. I will tell you, I often go over, because I get thirsty, but there is no way I could drink a gallon. Last week, in three days, I gained 10 pounds. Out come the diuretics. Rapid water weight gain for me is a serious warning. I must weigh every day to keep a handle on it.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Just a reminder that not everyone should up their water intake. It shouldn't hurt if you are in good health, but I have heart failure and my fluid intake is limited to 55 oz. a day. I will tell you, I often go over, because I get thirsty, but there is no way I could drink a gallon. Last week, in three days, I gained 10 pounds. Out come the diuretics. Rapid water weight gain for me is a serious warning. I must weigh every day to keep a handle on it.

I never considered water would be detrimental... see all the things a person can learn chatting, now and then? I hope the heart issues get better, soon.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I found I need to consume 80-100 oz of fluid to keep everything running smoothly. If I do that, I do pee more but I also have better poops, less gas, and feel better.