WHATS THE BEST EXERCISE DVD FOR A 300+ MALE BEGINNER?

rjm8185
rjm8185 Posts: 81 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, anyone any ideas for me please, I'm currently 340lbs so its not easy.
Thanks in advance Rob

Replies

• jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Walking, Swimming, and Yoga. Things that are low impact. I was about that weight at my highest weight but I was still able to do these 3 things just fine. getting on a elipitcal machine is another great no impact exercise. I suggest those exercises just in case you have concern for your joints.

And Cycling is another great no impact exercise too.
  • My Wii Fit is awesome! It lets you warm your way up to advanced levels and you can use it with the whole family.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I'd recommend Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. Its an excellent DVD set and it really helped me get started. Once you've built up a bit more endurance and have some more weight off your knees you may wanna look into some light step aerobics, or Wiifit. Basically do things that are easy on the knees. Good luck on your journey, you can do it!
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    My Wii Fit is awesome! It lets you warm your way up to advanced levels and you can use it with the whole family.

Great suggestion! However, the Wii Balance board is has a weight limit of 330lbs. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Balance_Board

So the original poster can get one but he'd have to wait a few weeks before he'd be able to use it. And the wii and balance board combined will cost 2-300 bucks.

Yoga(free), walking(free), swimming, will be much cheaper and doesn't require he has to buy much of anything. Thats why I like to suggest those things.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    I'd recommend Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. Its an excellent DVD set and it really helped me get started. Once you've built up a bit more endurance and have some more weight off your knees you may wanna look into some light step aerobics, or Wiifit. Basically do things that are easy on the knees. Good luck on your journey, you can do it!

I do Leslie Sansone workouts. They are great. Walking for thirty minutes a day is very healthy too.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    My dad was over 300 when I got him on an exercise plan. I had him doing...don't laugh! the Just My Size Yoga DVD, its so much easier than typical yaga DVD's. I also had him walking the treadmill with me and I got him started on Biggest Loser DVD's. Good luck!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I really like Walk Away the Pounds DVDs as well. You can get an idea of what they are like by checking out some videos on Youtube -- this is one of the ones I found last night and really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk&feature=channel

I also recommend the Wii. I don't have Wii Fit (yet, I want to get it!), but I have My Fitness Coach and Wii Sports and have enjoyed doing those. My Fitness Coach is harder but I like it to get some strength training and a balanced workout in. They both require the Wii console (of course) but no additional equipment besides that. You can use a nunchuk on Wii Sports but it is not required. I'd recommend a yoga mat for My Fitness Coach if you don't have carpeting just because there are some yoga poses in it and it is hard on the knees on hardwood floors! :) My Fitness Coach will also use equipment you have (but it is not required) -- hand weights, heart weight monitor, steps. It is really a lot of body resistance and yoga training... but with a "coach" there to help you through it.
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Bump.
  • TickledPurple
    TickledPurple Posts: 33 Member
    If you have access to a computer at home try this....
    http://www.rosemaryconley.tv/Exercise/Expert-Advice.aspx?vxChannel=Exercise_ExpertAdvice&vxClipId=2712_840080
    Its a 7 minute workout session that you can do sitting down so you don't put too much strain on your knees and ankles. I use the workouts on this website a lot as I find that once I've bought a DVD I tend to leave it in a cupboard and forget about it, whereas I can easily fit 7 minutes into my day and best of all.... its free!
  • rjm8185
    rjm8185 Posts: 81 Member
    Thank you all very much for your help and advice, I did my first Leslie Sansone mile today and really enjoyed it, I also downloaded some workouts from the Rosemary Conley site that was suggested. Thanks once again everyone Rob
This discussion has been closed.