Most people quit weight loss

Options
Why do you think you'll stay strong and stick with it?
Why do you think others quit?
What makes you different?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Because I'll never be fat again.

instant gratification - or lack thereof.

I'm accountable for and in control of my own actions.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    -Because I have before and I know I can
    -Because they look for a quick fix and lack patience. Or they're just not ready to put in the work
    -Back here to lose baby weight. I have the tools, I know what to do, and once I make a decision, nothing stands in my way
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anything making me different, but I'm not looking to the scale for results yet. I'm just looking to build the kind of habits that result in a lifestyle condusive to losing weight. Figure it's time to work on better managing my caloric intake and exercising so I joined MFP.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd say some of the top reasons people quit are 1)They're too restrictive with their food 2) They're too restrictive with their calories 3)They're not patient (IE, instant gratification) 4)All or Nothing mentality

I dumped all of those notions and stuck with a sustainable calorie goal which included all my normal foods, and more I've fallen in love with, exercised moderately (instead of going balls to the wall) doing activities I truly enjoy so that I wouldn't burn out and enjoyed my life while doing it all. Bonus, I lost 58 lbs.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am sticking with it because I cannot see myself giving up and working to gain the weight back so I can then rejoin my former life - there were times when I was not sure where I was going but I knew there was no turning back.

I think others allow things to take over there time and focus. Making too many big overwhelming changes allows for any little thing to sabotage those plans. Making small realistic changes while still challenging oneself enough to keep the focus insight I believe helps these changes become ones that can survive the long-run.

I'm Adrian, that alone makes me different from everyone else! But really, I don't think I am different, I just think it was my time to do this.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I am happy losing weight. People who it weren't happy doing it.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Because the night belongs to lovers.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    -Because healthy feels good. And sleeps good!
    -Lack of self-control and good ole-fashion discipline.
    -Because I'm me.
  • nige101
    nige101 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm happy and throwing away clothes, buying new ,only lost weight by calorie counting and walking, nothing too life changing easy to continue with little or no effort :smiley:
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wont quit because if I make myself get stubborn about something, I wont quit, so Im going to get stubborn about losing weight. And invested in losing weight already and I have no intention to lose that money.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I really want to be at a healthy weight.

It is way to easy to stop doing the correct things to maintain a healthy weight

I have learned so much here about weight loss. I now have the tools to monitor my weight and I understand what happens to my body. I have learned that I really enjoy physical activity.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    If i can quit smoking, I can Loose weight.
    I have Quit smoking, now I am loosing weight.

Staying dedicated to quitting smoking was (is. I say is because I will always want to smoke) Harder than Loosing weight.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Because I have seen what happens to people when they let health and fitness fall to the wayside. I have had family members develop diabetes from unhealthy habits, ignore doctor's instructions to change their lifestyle, and have severe consequences.

I want to be healthy for me, for my husband, and for our future family. I don't want my children to have to worry about my health, and I don't want anyone else to have to take care of me later in life because I didn't take care of myself now.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't feel very "strong" doing this. Eating right is easy for me in and of itself as far as finding good foods I thoroughly enjoy that aren't too calorie dense. The weight and overeating were related to issues well beyond food, if I keep those issues in check the food will just naturally stay in check without much effort.

I agree with everyone else who has said those who quit aren't patient enough, take an "all or nothing" approach, try to go too restrictive and quit because they didn't enjoy the process they had chosen to lose weight.

I'm not any different. I have done all those misguided approaches before. They weren't fun enough so I quit. This time I am dealing with the cause and not the symptom, and it's a lot easier as far as eating goes. I think my biggest pitfalls were "well I already ate 100 over, so I might as well eat 2,000 over" and "well I am already overweight so what's another 10, 20, 50 lbs" but those were part and parcel with my band-aid approach.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Because I am now officially grossed out by my before pictures.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for nine months now. Why quit now, especially when I'm so close to both onederland and the halfway mark? I've changed my lifestyle and still enjoy the things I love in moderation.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am still new at this. I think this is a time in my life where I actually need to change. But, I hit my first bump and have just been maintaining. I am okay with that. I will get back on track. I am in this for the long haul.

I am included in others. I have quit other diets because they were too restrictive or I just didn't understand enough.

I am no different. I think this app makes counting calories pretty easy, at least so far. I have some goals for calories, macros, exercise that are reasonable I think. I was doing okay before i found the forum, but I like having the support from others, too.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That's is the mindset that makes you quit. Stop comparing yourself to other people. It's not about other people quitting, or you making it farther than him or her. It's about you reaching your goal. The only person you have to prove anything to is yourself.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Because I'm genuinly excited to be doing it - it's not a duty, it's not because I 'should'. It's a great challenge I'm thrilled to take on.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Because I like - love - the way I eat and exercise now. I eat what I like in moderation and get up and move a little every day instead of either sitting/lying all day or going to the gym for a short period and then quit. Prelogging and meal planning is fun and takes away anxiety and poor food choices that used to lead to overeating, cravings and shame, leading to more overeating, cravings and shame.

I think those who quit are too ambitious and too impatient. They want results NOW and think they need to starve themselves. They refuse to apply common sense and logic and learn from those who have succeeded. Some even believe in magic. Most of them freak out from normal weight fluctuations.

I am curious and like to find out how and why things works or doesn't work. I am lazy and prefer to do things the easy way. My approach is try, fail, try something else, fail, try something else, succeed, continue.