Eat what you burn

Hello - Not sure if this of interest to anyone but I've lost about 60 lbs (20%+) of body weight in 6 months. It was pretty simple (not easy). I use Myfitnesspal to track calories I intake and exercise calories I burn and used their RMR calculator for my sex, weight and height and calculated my resting metabolic rate in calories. I created a spreadsheet that keeps track of the simple math, Calories consumed - Calories burned - RMR = net calories . Divide that by 3500 and you get how many pounds you lost that day. Doesn't matter what kind of food I eat the formula can predict my actual weight with a tolerance of 1-2%. If I haven't lost any weight on the scale I look at the sheet and it is dead on accurate (I ate too much or burned too little). I adjust the RMR down as I lose weight. I view losing weight as pain management. Which pain can I tolerate more? Not eating as many calories or burning more calories. I've always sided with burning more as it is less painful for me so I do twice a days in the gym for 45 minutes each session. This has the added value of bumping my metabolism twice a day instead of once. Not sure if it really helps but it has some intuitive logic to it. Not everyone can go to the gym everyday let alone twice a day, but at least this approach gives you an understanding why you shouldn't get discouraged its just the math.

Replies

• clarinetmajor
    clarinetmajor Posts: 44 Member
    Would you be willing to send me a copy of your spreadsheet? This sounds like a great idea!
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Thank you
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Actually, I have no desire to eat back my exercise calories.

This is nice for you. Glad that weight loss comes easily. For many of the rest of us... FOOOOOOD!!!
  • rarawall
    rarawall Posts: 1 Member
    Makes sense. Congrats! I find tracking my food on this site to be a tremendous help also. In the past, I've counted points, carbs, etc. The myfitness tracker is a much better way to go for me. Problem is I have a horrible arthritic knee and have used that excuse to avoid exercise (for now)
  • Dom4less
    Dom4less Posts: 40 Member
    It sounds interesting and I would love to try what you are doing, If you are willing to share your spreadsheet I would love to try as well. I a big believer that "numbers don't lie" so let me know. Tks!
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    I actually do about the same thing! I use my Fitbit Flex to track my calories burned each day and then MFP to track calories eaten. And then I have a spreadsheet on my phone that I do that same calculation with! It's such simple math!
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 484 Member
    I would love to see your spreadsheet.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm willing to give this a try! Thank you! I would also like to see the spread sheet if possible.
  • Astraea05
    Astraea05 Posts: 248 Member
    edited October 2014
    Sounds like a nice tool to keep on track. Thanks for sharing.
  • Astraea05
    Astraea05 Posts: 248 Member
    edited October 2014
    Is BMR and RMR the same thing?
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Thanks for sharing, created the spreadsheet today and will start tracking.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    According to my spreadsheet I'm not eating enough and if I ate more I would lose more. Does that make any sense?
  • spa407
    spa407 Posts: 47 Member
    Put me down for another one that would like a copy of the spreadsheet. Or, where's the best place to find the RMR calculation?
  • jshuster09
    jshuster09 Posts: 6 Member
    would you be able to send your spreadsheet over as well? thanks!
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    I'm interested too.
  • djlebreton
    djlebreton Posts: 50 Member
    I would be interested in this as well if possible. Thanks :)
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    I am interested as well. :-)
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    I would love to see the spreadsheet as well. I kind of go by the fact that if you eat all natural foods you should not have to be so calorie restricted but my loss has totally slowed down and I need some help :) thanks
  • vero4645
    vero4645 Posts: 2 Member
    Good idea! I would love a copy of the spreadsheet as well! :D thanks!
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    That's great you found something that works for you...BUT for me...I have to keep my CARBS low...not really looking at total calories...and that's when I lose the weight...if my CARB intake is higher...even if total calories stay the same..I always gain ...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!