Plan of Attack... *long post

Options
Okay. So like many people I have been on and off the "wagon" for a while now (and let's be honest, when I'm off I dive off that wagon head first. usually into cake.) But I'm determined now to actually reach my goals because I'm sick of sounding like a broken record when every Sunday rolls around and I tell myself, yet again, "okay, diet starts tomorrow"

I am holding myself accountable on a 30-day period. I have marked off a calendar in 30 day increments, and every time I hit that mark I get a reward (yet to be determined, any feedback and suggestions are appreciated). I have also made some goals such as lose 30ish pounds, fit into a size six, that sort of thing but I'm focusing on keeping myself accountable for 30 days at a time because I think that's more manageable- any thoughts?

Also, I have a list of some food/exercise/mental goals as well, which I will list below. If you have anything in common or want to help motivate each other on this crazy journey, please feel free to follow- I love helping people and I need someone to keep my chunky bum up on that wagon and out of the cake!!

Goals:
~Gym 5-6x a week for @ least 30-45 minutes
~Mix cardio and weights (lift heavy!! it boosts metabolism and gives you a squat booty)
~Build flexibility (Splits!!!)
~Meditate every day and spend more time outside (this really helps my mental focus and capabilities/outlook on things)
~Drink 4-5 litres of water daily
~Stick to portion sizes- no going back for seconds!
~Eat less sodium and only natural sugar; also cut down on carbs and only eat whole grains
~Only eat red meat every 2 weeks or so and have @ least 1 meatless day a week
~"flip" meals (big breakfast and small dinner) and eat 5-6 small meals/snacks a day
~Start with only allowing Greek Yoghurt and cottage cheese for dairy but eventually transition to being dairy free

Okay guys, you deserve a prize if you've stuck with me through this long self-motivational post. This will allow me to look back on my goals at a moments notice, as well as hopefully help me find like-minded people with similar goals! Thanks yall :)

Kayla

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're cutting carbs, red meat and dairy?

Red meat and dairy are good sources of protein and fat... so I'm not sure why you would want to cut them down/out, unless it's for a medical issue. Same with carbs... although it's good to limit them to an extent, carbs can be healthy for you too, give you energy, etc.

I only paint these things out, because, while having 30 day goals is great, you want it to be sustainable so that you can reach those 30 day increments (easily). Sustainability is key. Don't be restrictive with your calories and food unless you have a medical (or moral, IE Veganism) reason for it.

Just my opinion though.
    Good luck.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Hey Kayla! Wonderful work getting started again. It doesn't matter how many times it takes :)

My goals are quite similar to yours, though I have about 50 pounds to go.

My rewards for meeting my goals are things like: new make up, facial, massage, new clothes, stuff like that!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I just happened to start at the beginning of a month so I see where I am monthly. I don't have any particular goals or time limits, though.

I am going to allow myself to splurge on something I wouldn't usually get every 10 lbs. Not food, I am not getting clothes because i have a lot to lose. I bought myself a stuffed animal for my first 10 lbs. Probably not for everyone,
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Is there a reason you're cutting carbs, red meat and dairy?

Red meat and dairy are good sources of protein and fat... so I'm not sure why you would want to cut them down/out, unless it's for a medical issue. Same with carbs... although it's good to limit them to an extent, carbs can be healthy for you too, give you energy, etc.

I only paint these things out, because, while having 30 day goals is great, you want it to be sustainable so that you can reach those 30 day increments (easily). Sustainability is key. Don't be restrictive with your calories and food unless you have a medical (or moral, IE Veganism) reason for it.

Just my opinion though.
    Good luck.

^^^ All this. I really really hope you changeyour goals. Even the water one, thats A LOT of water, 2-3liters is sufficient for health.

I really want you to be successful and I've done this for years. Before this last pregnancy I maintained my lowest weight for years. I did this by just minding my calories and eating everything I liked in moderation. The more you restrict yourself the harder it is and the less likely you will be succeed.

I'd love to be your friend and help in any way I can. Please don't take anything I've said to heart, I just want you to be successful x
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Those are some awesome goals! And while you wrote that these are mental goals, it's great that you wrote them down, even if its here. I would suggest writing these down in your home as well so you can constatly see them and push yourself to reach them.

For accountability, 30 days is probably fine. You have to find what works for you. If you can do 30 days and have the willpower to see it through, go for it! Accountability in 30-day increments sounds like a lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet. So remember that this is a journey to a healthy life - you don't need to race to the destination; enjoy life along the way. Healthy living (and even weight loss for that matter) is a marathon, not a sprint.

As for your listed goals, they look great to me. Plenty of water and portion control is important. If you need help with portion control, more water and more green veggies are the best - both help you feel more full with little to no added calories! Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus are all great choices there. And cutting down on carbs (especially processed carbs) is great, just don't cut out carbs completely. Going to the gym 6 days a week, you're gonna need carbs for energy.

And rewarding yourself at end of every 30 days is a great idea, too! I would suggest don't reward yourself with more food at the end of every month (you're not one of Pavlov's dogs now, are you?). While the occassional indulgence isn't going to hurt you, there are plenty of other self rewards. Maybe go shopping for new clothes, or a different physical activity other than working out that you could do with friends. But whatever makes you feel accomplished, that's the goal!

Godo luck! You got this!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hey Kayla,
    Im with you I just started Friday and I am sick of saying ok Ill start tomorrow. I am not cutting carbs out completely but I am forcing myself to eat more fruits and veggies and less carbs because I could have Spagettie, Pizza and every other carb all in one sitting lol. Feel free to add me on as a friend we can help each other out :)