Any advice trying to lose weight when you're already "thin"?

Options
2»

Replies

• ericadcruz32
    ericadcruz32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, where on earth did my reply go? I posted it here....
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you feel the need to lose bodyweight. Improving body composition (more muscular appearance, less bodyfat, improved ratio of waist/hips/thigh/shoulders, etc.) on the otherhand does not necessarily translate to weight loss
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you honey - always striving for that “magic” number that made me feel great. I was wrong. Check out my post https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731805/i-ve-put-on-a-bit-of-weight-couldn-t-be-happier#latest
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    The thread is 5 years old and the OP hasn't signed on since November 2014.
  • hellokittylover2122
    hellokittylover2122 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    porscheMD wrote: »
    I'm 5'6 and 128 pounds. I'm most comfortable at 115lbs (what I used to be), but I find it very difficult to lose weight when I'm already at a very normal BMI. I eat 1200 calories a day, but do I need to cut down even more? Is it even possible with my BMR to lose 2 pounds a week?
    I'm 5'6 and 128 pounds. I'm most comfortable at 115lbs (what I used to be), but I find it very difficult to lose weight when I'm already at a very normal BMI. I eat 1200 calories a day, but do I need to cut down even more? Is it even possible with my BMR to lose 2 pounds a week?

• hellokittylover2122
    Options
    Even though this thread is oId, I was wondering the same thing and am glad it popped up. I'm in the "healthy" range, but I feel like I got a few pounds to lose. I think I will follow others advice and try lifting and putting on muscle. I can't imagine only eating 1200 calories for the rest of my life.

Hello! I was in a similar boat about 6 months ago. I use to be 130 lbs at 5’7 with 24 percent body fat. I’m currently 120 lbs with 17-18 percent body fat. I now eat exactly 2100 calories a day and dont gain any weight due to my metabolic rate going up. I did this by strength training combined with some cardio at the gym. The key for me was building muscle and losing body fat. The more muscle you have , the more calories your body burns on it’s own, hence the more you can eat and still lose weight ! Also undereating was actually preventing me from losing weight. I was also eating 1200 a day thinking I would get smaller, but what happened was my metabolism got use to such a low energy amount and worked less hard. My reccomendation to you would be to eat 1500-1600 calories a day and find some online kettlebell / strength excersizes 2-3 times a week. Also incorporate HIIT cardio 3 times a week. I’m starting a cut this week as I want to lose 3 more pounds and will be eating 1500 a day, putting me in a 600 calorie deficit.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I am 5'6" inches, 36 years old, and when I told my doctor that I intended to lose more weight (I am 137 now), she said, "good, but don't go below 20 BMI." I looked that up and 20 BMI for our height is 124 lbs.

I will say that my 15-year old daughter - who is an athlete (swimmer) and has tummy problems is 114 lbs and 5'6" - and she is barely in the normal BMI. She looks like a healthy teenager, and her doctor has no problem with that since she is low body fat % and has amazing cardiovascular indicators. Something to keep in mind.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Was responding to posts that have now been edited, so never mind :smile:
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Why do so many young women want to be underweight??? It is not attractive or healthy. Baffles me.

The perception is, the smaller the more beautiful even age-defying- young or mature.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm 5'6" too. When I was young I was typically 120 without even trying but when marching band 2 a days would come around in the summer and I was super active I'd drop to 115. When that happened my periods would also stop. That told me 115 is probably too low a weight for my body. Basically my advice for anyone reading would be don't get too fixated on a number in your head but listen to your body too.