Do you even nuclear fusion?

Options
_errata_
_errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-lockheed-fusion-idUSKCN0I41EM20141015
Compact nuclear fusion would produce far less waste than coal-powered plants since it would use deuterium-tritium fuel, which can generate nearly 10 million times more energy than the same amount of fossil fuels, the company said.

This sounds exciting?

Replies

• scasey1656
    scasey1656 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, this makes me laugh. One of the very few intelligent threads and nobody replies...

But, yes, this does sound exciting!
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    People have been claiming fusion is coming for most of my lifetime. So, meh.

Not to mention once they actually have 30% design-level on an actual plant, the political and public (safety, environmental, security, regulation) considerations will likely keep it in limbo for at least an additional decade or two. I'm guessing I won't see it.
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Never mind all that, we already have solar power capabilities that are super inexpensive and super underutilized! I'm always for progress in knowledge, though...
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It'd be great. And we COULD have cars that run on water. But where's the revenue in that?
  • _errata_
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    It'd be great. And we COULD have cars that run on water. But where's the revenue in that?

Apparently lockheed martin thinks there is revenue in it... otherwise they wouldn't invest in it. Basically energy costs are going to go through the roof, as the article says, over the next 30-50 years. Another alternative will eventually hit a price point at which it becomes cost-effective.

• _errata_
    edited October 2014
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    It has to actually exist first.

Are you talking about cold fusion? Or just this project specifically?
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    scasey1656 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, this makes me laugh. One of the very few intelligent threads and nobody replies...

That's because no one asked about the breast measurements of the female scientists. :open_mouth:

I would love to see them figure out cold fusion, but as others have said, they've been trying to get this right for a looooooooong time.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    scasey1656 wrote: »

But, yes, this does sound exciting!

Well, as it's a fitness/food website, I generally didn't see a need to do so. It's why I don't discuss high wing vs low wing here, or the the Big Crunch on ESPN's site.

But, what the heck, I'll play. Would fusion be wonderful? Absolutely! It would revolutionize EVERYTHING. Lockheed isn't generally known for making "pie in the sky" claims. If they're making these assertions, then they're onto something big. I don't know if they'll become involved with ITER (or even potentially DEMO) or if their implementations are too far apart, but I'm really rooting for them.

But as previously mentioned, hot fusion has always been "ten or twenty years away" (I'm 39) so I'll remain hopeful, but a bit skeptical. In the meantime, a kilowatt system solar system is being installed on my roof. The sooner coal is taken out of the equation, the better off the planet will be.

• _errata_
    Options
    _errata_ wrote: »
    It has to actually exist first.

Are you talking about cold fusion? Or just this project specifically?

Fusion in a form we could use, I know it exists.

I share your general skepticism. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Probably won't be in our lifetimes. On the other hand, i did have a melt down at work today.
  • _errata_
    Options
    I think the prospect of practical fusion is exciting just because of the safety implications. If bad *kitten* like an earthquake happens, the conditions for fusion to continue cease and you don't have issues like Japan experienced a few years ago. It is way safer than fission reactors. If they get this prototype working, then nuclear power will have a real chance at expanding in the future.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I hear fusion. I automatically think of this movie:

the-saint-cold-fusion.jpg

If Elisabeth Shue could do it...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Compact nuclear fusion would produce far less waste than coal-powered plants since it would use deuterium-tritium fuel, which can generate nearly 10 million times more energy than the same amount of fossil fuels, the company said.

But what is the availability/abundance/cost of deterium-tritium? Is it the same price as coal, or at least significantly less than 10 million times more expensive?
  • _errata_
    Options

But what is the availability/abundance/cost of deterium-tritium? Is it the same price as coal, or at least significantly less than 10 million times more expensive?

Taken from the article:
    Ultra-dense deuterium, an isotope of hydrogen, is found in the earth's oceans, and tritium is made from natural lithium deposits.

The materials are way more common than what we use right now for fission reactors, and much safer. :wink:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    I hear fusion. I automatically think of this movie:

the-saint-cold-fusion.jpg

If Elisabeth Shue could do it...

Ah. Back when Val Kilmer was hot.
  • _errata_
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »