Burn 3500 calories a day to lose 1lb..........Fact or fiction???

Options
I recently came across a number of Professionals stating the above is a bit of myth???
What's everyone else's views???? (you can't always believe the internet!)

I did find this article quite interesting!

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/you-will-not-lose-1lb-every-time/

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't think the author of that article knows much about nutrition, human behavior, or how the human body works. Actually, I'm sure of it.
  • nmandine1
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if it were true... :p
  • KaranRai5
    Options
    it takes 3500 calories burnt to remove a lb of fat, that's the standard..
    doing that in a day? highly unlikely nor safe lol. any "weight" lost would be water, not caloric related
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It bothered me I had to get to the end see it was basically promoting a 10 carbs, 30 fat, 60 protein diet. I don't think there is a one size fits all diet. Some people do better on high protein, some do better as vegetarians, etc. I think everybody should do what works for them, also I don't agree with eating very low calorie other than to get out of obese range, it is not good for you and it can damage your body. I don't think comparisons made with doing this diet instead of eating 900-1000 calories a day are valid, I reject all of that.

Eating consistently and reasonably healthy at a reasonable deficit (500 or less) and getting enough exercise to me is valid.

I thought the whole article was just flawed, it was like, oh don't do this one extreme, do this other extreme instead because it is better. I did not find that helpful.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Zoe Hardcombe is, in fact, a blithering idiot.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've always heard 3500 a WEEK not in a day. I think it would be pretty impossible to do in a day.
  • kamurray6
    kamurray6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bit of a myth. I am no scientist, but common sense tells me that all calories are not created equal. 1000 calories made up entirely of candy is going to have a very different effect on my body than 1000 calories made up of skinless chicken, beans and vegetables. Also, everyone's body reacts differently to different types of food. I will gain wight if I eat a moderate number of calories that include processed carbs like wheat bread than when I eat a higher number of calories in protein and fat. For example if I eat an egg white omelette for breakfast and veggie smoothie for lunch on both days I will see at least a 1 pound increase on the scale if I eat a turkey burger on a whole wheat bun for dinner vs no gain or potentially a loss if I eat a burrito bowl (no tortilla) with steak, cheese and guacamole for dinner. My boyfriend reacts to high processed sugar levels. He puts on weight eating ice cream frequently, but eating pizza (and lots of it) twice a week doesn't seem to affect him at all. He cuts out sugar and loses weight quickly. He cuts the pizza for a week and no weight loss.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Zoe Hardcombe is, in fact, a blithering idiot.
    I do like to read a "blithering" it's been a while. Thank you x
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    1 pound of fat produces about 3500 calories of energy, in a closed system, where only store fat is used as fuel.

If you are eating less than you are burning, you will used stored fat and/or muscle to fuel your body. Hypothetically, if you burn off everything you ate and an extra 3500 calories in a day, and you burn only fat, you'd lose a pound, but that'd be very difficult, and definitely not healthy.

For example: You eat 1200 calories (the minimum). You burn 2000 calories a day through normal activity. Right there you have a deficit of 800. You'd need to burn an extra 2700 calories through exercise. If I am exercising at pretty high intensity I can burn 600 calories an hour. So that's 4.5 hours of high intensity exercise on only 1200 calories of food. Pretty sure I couldn't do it, and even if I could, I'd burn off some muscle too (and who wants that?).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh sorry...I checked some of the links and here are some quotes

Eating less makes us want to eat more and/or do less. Doing more makes us want to eat more and/or do less. Neither eat less nor do more has worked, can work, or ever will work as a solution for the obesity epidemic.

Don’t take my word for it. As Dr Robert Lustig says – you wouldn’t dream of giving your child beer or cola, but fruit juice is metabolised by the body in the same way. Or, as Gary Taubes says, “If you are overweight, fruit is not your friend.”

Man is as evolutionary disposed to being sedentary as he is to gathering food. What man would have done, and what we should do today, is natural activity. Walk, talk, sing, dance, cook, clean and tend the land – that’s what we should do. Not pumping iron!

And to top it off

Here are her Qualifications

Zoë is a qualified nutritionist with a Diploma in Diet & Nutrition and a Diploma in Clinical Weight Management, but she is first and foremost an obesity researcher. She works exclusively in the area of weight and obesity and reads, writes and talks about obesity as many hours as possible, seven days a week

So basically she is trying to sell books and be a lecturer on tour getting money to talk to overweight people and give them more excuses.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I don't think the author of that article knows much about nutrition, human behavior, or how the human body works. Actually, I'm sure of it.
    I looked at some of her other blogs. Her lack of understanding is frightening, and passing herself off as some knowledgeable expert is downright fraud.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    But how does she exercise so much when she talks about obesity as much as she can? Huh?!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am amused that the "proof" used was a group of people given "advice", and a group of people "who attend weight watchers". As if that makes any bit of difference to what people actually ate.

This is amazingly mindless drivel. I am sad that people read stuff like this and think it is even remotely true.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I think she is standing in the background of every shot in FED UP. Seriously, The first sentence was BS, same for #2, and #3. Yes, this article had little to no value except it was somewhat amusing.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kamurray6 wrote: »
    I am no scientist, but common sense tells me that all calories are not created equal.

I don't even know what to say to this.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kamurray6 wrote: »
    I am no scientist, but common sense tells me that all calories are not created equal.
    I don't even know what to say to this.

I do...

visit this thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10005140/true-or-false-a-calorie-is-a-calorie-is-a-calorie#latest

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Calorie measurements are just our best way to calculate energy as it relates to our physiology and metabolism. If this genius has a better method, I'm Jim Dandy.
    I suspect she's selling something, so her job is to make what is simple very complicated. She's probably a fraud!
    That's my guess.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    In for the "a unit of measurement is not a unit of measurement" posts.
    9h3sulb866p7.gif
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I recently came across a number of Professionals stating the above is a bit of myth???
    What's everyone else's views???? (you can't always believe the internet!)

I did find this article quite interesting!

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/you-will-not-lose-1lb-every-time/

I stopped reading when I got to Minnesota Starvation Experiment. That study has been used to promote more poorly supported ideas to more people...It's basically a red flag for Woo at this point.