New & need help with weight gain/bulking!

Options
2»

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Try Bulgarian squats. All the weight goes through pretty much one leg.

http://youtu.be/3dDOWcEvKA8
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    mgroneill wrote: »

Any advice on how to gain weight as fast as possible? I want it to be muscle but do i have to get fat first before i actually focus on the muscle part?.
    hell no. find out your maintenance calories. (simply use a calculator and see how your body reacts.) follow a good full body routine in the beginning and eat 500cals over your maintenance.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Also wondering whether it's worthwhile getting a barbell for squats etc. Already have a 20kg set of dumbbells but if i just buy more weights for them would that bypass the barbell or does the barbell target different muscles better? Or would it just be easier to get a gym membership (£60 covers the whole year at my uni so pretty good). By the way got body beast for free from a friend so thought i might as well give it a try

Cheers

The problem with dumbbell squats is that your grip strength is going to give out long before your quads and glutes. You're not going to be able to lift as heavy without a barbell.

Yeah you're right. Never thought about that. Would dumbbells at least be sufficient enough for working out my upper body? Arms, shoulders chest etc.

Dumbbells are fine for bench press, shoulder press, curls, etc. Also, as someone else mentioned, split squats...Also lunges, stiff leg deadlifts, etc.