The way I used to eat

Options
Hi all, this is my first post, I have been using MFP on and off for a while but last year really got serious. Overall I'm down from about 318 to 198 this morning.

Anyway has anyone ever really looked back on how they used to eat compared to how they are eating now? Holy moly I can't believe I wasn't bigger than 300+. I also sometimes travel for work which would lead to 3 meals per day out. There were days where I had to easily get 4000 calories. I knew I was eating bad but really had no idea.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I used to pop down to the 7/11 after lunch and get their 2 for $5 bags of candy and bring them back to my office, pop them in a bowl on my desk and eat both, while fooling myself I was "sharing" because the people who came into my office would take one or two.

This was after having a ham and cheese croissant for breakfast, a large pad thai for lunch, raiding the office cookie jar throughout the day and then going home to a full dinner, followed by snacks and a 6 pack.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup, I look back (13+ years now) and marvel at the crap I ate. And that my entire diet was based around crap (heavily processed, packaged convenience foods). I used to think of eating healthy as a chore. One to avoid.
    Cheers!!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My eating has totally transformed, but it was a slow work in progress.
    Today, if I go to McD and devour a BigMac and fries, I feel sick for hours after.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your loss!

Second, absolutely! I can't believe I wasn't heavier than I was, I ate like it was my job. Massive portions at most meals (except breakfast) and they never felt like enough, I always wanted more. Even after one of my largest meals, a huge plate of restaurant chicken parm with spaghetti (enough for two people), buffalo wings and a large bread and butter roll to scoop up the leftover sauce, even though there was no more room in my stomach, I always wanted to eat more. So I ate more. I snacked all the time too. Bad snacks, unhealthy snacks. I was constantly thinking about my next meal The desire is still there, and always will be, to go back to my old habits. But I control that now.

• blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    My eating has totally transformed, but it was a slow work in progress.
    Today, if I go to McD and devour a BigMac and fries, I feel sick for hours after.

This^^^^^ I cant even get through a full meal anymore-- I can do a whopper but that's it and I am full!! don't even like fries anymore and used to get a large meal and finish it off by myself!!
  • nikkikitty77
    Options
    I ate fairly healthy for years, but even if you eat OK foods, the amount can lead to HUGE numbers of calories. I was surprised to learn what foods are calorie dense, which are not worth it (large amounts of sugar, unhealthy fats, etc) and which are worth the calories because of the other benefits (protein, fiber, etc).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes I used to eat horribly, but I admit that sometimes I miss those days of not caring :p
  • themusicdude
    themusicdude Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's the kind of loss I'm hoping for! I had a bad pig out meal a few weeks ago and ordered exactly the amount I used to eat and I couldn't finish it! That was a good sign, but I still have a hard time with food goals. Congrats on your hard work!
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just this morning I filled out tomorrows food diary with what used to be typical meals. Came up 4600 calories and nearly as much sodium. :o

I wonder why I was lethargic and had sky high blood pressure. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: