Am I getting a worthwhile benefit?

Options
You guys are always so helpful so, thanks in advance. Brief background: 5 years ago, I lost about 80 pounds and then failed badly and gained it all back. I've decided to try again and have started back dieting and getting to the gym. For cardio, I do the the elliptical, although while I was up to 45 mins when I lost weight before, I can only do about 15 mins now. I hate exercise -- really hate it. It hurts, I look stupid and am always worried that I'm not going it "right." But I'm trying to "just do it" even though it produces lots of anxiety for me. I am one of those unfortunate few who does not receive the emotional/endorphin "high" from exercise like everyone else does. In fact, I often feel worse after going to the gym.

Yesterday, I got some disappointing info that the elliptical work burns hardly any calories! I can't get a reliable reading off the machine (I go to Planet Fitness) but have looked at sites including this one and the info on calories burned for 20 mins is only about 200 to 300 cals. Seems hardly worth the discomfort - physical and emotional -- for such little benefit. Hell, I did some gardening last week and the data on that was WAY higher than killing myself on the elliptical!

So, my question is: is doing cardio (at the limited amount I can do it - 15 mins or so at loser level 2 or 3 even worth it? (my BF does like 45 mins to an hour at upwards of level 17 to 20 - he says he started low too I still feel like I can't compete.) What benefit might I be getting? I have REALLY bad knees so the elliptical is about all I can do (vs. running or something like that.) I'm so disappointed that now that I feel like quitting again but I know that's really not the answer. Should I give up on the cardio if no really benefit? I appreciate whatever thoughts (or kicks in the *kitten*!! :>) you all might be willing to share. Thanks much.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd say find something you enjoy. I do very little cardio as I hate it but I do love strength training - not the same calorie burn obviously but I get my deficit from my diet.

Doing something you enjoy will help you stick to it be it the elliptical, running, dancing, swimming or a sport - if you have fun, you'll be more inclined to do it consistently.
  • CarrieStratfull
    Options
    Swimming is a good and is easy on the joints and stuff too. I love it as I find it impossible to stress while swimming!
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a rower? That is the best form of cardio that you can do without any impact on your joints. There are lots of resources online regarding starting a rowing regimen and different types of suggested interval workouts. You will torch calories on the rower!
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I'd say find something you enjoy. I do very little cardio as I hate it but I do love strength training - not the same calorie burn obviously but I get my deficit from my diet.

Doing something you enjoy will help you stick to it be it the elliptical, running, dancing, swimming or a sport - if you have fun, you'll be more inclined to do it consistently.

^^^ this. Maybe a class or walking or biking or tennis or... doesn't really matter as long as you're moving and getting a good sweat going. You could also invest in a heart rate monitor to see how much you really are burning. Machine readouts often aren't accurate.
  • CJReg119
    CJReg119 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. Yes, I've heard the message to "find something you enjoy" before and that makes total sense. However, I don't enjoy any of it! I'm not good at it, it hurts and I look ridiculous! And now, to the point of my post here, I'm not really sure if it's beneficial. that's what I'm looking for info on -- do you guys think the cardio is doing me any good at only losing (maybe) 250 or so calories??
  • blueblueheart
    Options
    Cardio doesn't have to hurt. No need to jump right into any hardcore stuff. If you hate what you're doing to lose you'll just regain again anyway.

Walking for an hour would be great. Nice way to clear your head and get your zen on as well.

If work is far enough away, walking to and from could make a pretty big dent calorie-wise.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's beneficial. There are countless studies to show that exercise is good for you.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Any time you exercise, it's worth it.
    And as has been suggested, find something you enjoy. I like to bike, swim, jump trampoline, hike and ski, so my cardio is integrated into a lifestyle.
    I lost over 80 pounds and have kept it off for 3 years.
    YOU CAN DO IT!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my primary weapon of choice for losing weight. You say that 15 mins is the limit that you can do but I don't believe you. You were already at 45. If I use your "loser level" lower number for 45 mins that gives you 500. 7 days at 500 gives you a pound of fat loss.

At the rate you are going, that's still half a pound a week and definitely worth it. Plus there are the cardiovascular benefits you gain as well. Not bad if you can combine it with eating within/below your calorie limits.

The only person you need to compete against is your self. The elliptical I use has a HRM monitor build in and all try to do is to get my heart rate at 70% max. I pump the tunes that I really like and I can go for a long time.

You just have to work up to it again and find away to compete against yourself. If gardening is your thing, then hey - garden. I burn a lot of calories mowing the lawn. all you really need to do is to keep active and eat within your limits.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    CJReg119 wrote: »
    ....do you guys think the cardio is doing me any good at only losing (maybe) 250 or so calories??

The point is not that you burn calories, but that you develop a cardiac base. As you're working at very low intensity you're not going to be getting any improvements to lactate threshold or VO2Max, but you need to start somewhere.

If you're after validation of a decision not to do any CV work, don't do any CV work. It's entirely up to you.

• A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't know your area or resources but a deep water class (done in the deep end with a floatation belt) is a great workout and very little intimidation, the classes I go all the participants are old. Walking as someone else mentioned is a great exercise, free, and pretty hard to do wrong :smiley:

Exercise is very good for you, regardless of the calorie burn. Do you want to just be skinny, then yes diet alone will work, but if you want to be healthy then you need to find something that you enjoy. So ultimately the choice is yours. What is your goal?
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is doing you good. Doesn't matter that you're not burning loads of calories yet, you're still doing a good thing for your heart. You might look at some intensity information...I have only read a little bit about it, but you work as hard as you can for 20 seconds or so and then ease back for 40, hard again for 20, back for 40...something like that, as many reps as you can. Get someone who actually knows to advise you. It is supposed to be even more effective than just trudging along til you fall off.

That said, I do very little cardio <blush>, but I am really enjoying the strength training on the machines. I just started a week ago and can only do very light weights so far. We have Snap Fitness locally, but I really want to move to Planet Fitness by the first of the year. It's a farther drive but I love the the big open layout and the generous locker room set-up. It doesn't bother me a bit to ask if I'm set up right or if my form is OK and I don't care that others are able to do loads more. I'm there for ME.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    BTW, I started two months ago barely able to walk 15 minutes, I'm now walking over 5k in an hour (with a bit of lame running in the middle.) It's about baby steps!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    250-300 calories is nothing to be sniffed at! That's half a meal for me, LOL. If I can burn that in 20 minutes - woohoo! I've always thought that was a lot!

But I'm like you, I don't like to "exercise". So when I decided I needed to do something, I figured I wouldn't bother with the gym and thought outside the square. I took up taekwondo and 10 months on, I LOVE it. Sure, it took a while before I didn't feel a little foolish, this fat lady in a class full of people half my size and age, but it's so accepting and such a great environment. Now I'm a blue belt, help out with coaching the newbies, I'm in the advanced class and will be competing in the next state championships.

What I'm saying is - if you hate traditional exercise, try something a little different. Dance, martial arts, calisthenics, swimming, kyacking... just something that gets you moving that you can work on improving. It doesn't have to suck
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The elliptical is totally worth it, and you will get better and stronger really fast. It doesn't have to be fun, I know people say that but don't let it be an excuse to fall off.

The 200 calories I burn in the morning becomes a guilt-free bag of popcorn and a fudgesicle at night. Plenty worth it to me :) Gawd I love fudgesicles.

PS it takes me 35-40 minutes to burn those calories so enjoy your superior calorie burning ability!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    What kind of burn do you think you should be getting to be "worth it"? I consider 200-300 calories on a 20-30 minute workout doing pretty well. I agree with getting a heart rate monitor if you want a more accurate estimate. What gardening are you doing that burns more calories than the elliptical? Maybe that's just an overestimation.

I agree with what others have said that you need to find something you enjoy and isn't painful. You say you don't enjoy any of it. I find it hard to believe you've tried everything out there. Maybe the gym isn't your thing, but you love walking outside. Try to walk for an hour everyday? Swimming sounds great if you've got access to a pool and you like that. Zumba? Pilates? Some are more intense and will get more calorie burn per minute, but they all have benefits, so does strength training (which has lower calorie burns than most cardio, but is still great for your health) if you really want an option besides cardio. And you generally aren't comfortable and feel silly looking when you start something new. You have to find your way to deal with it; you're taking this journey to improve your health because you want to (hopefully) and it can't matter what anyone else thinks. As your body gets used to the movements, maybe you'll feel less "stupid". Good luck
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think we all feel silly and awkward when we start doing new things! I know I do!

There have been quite a few studies done showing that when it comes to our overall health, regular exercise may be MORE important than how much we weigh. So even if it doesn't contribute much in terms of calorie burn, it's probably a good idea to find a way to incorporate it in your life.

Walking is a great suggestion, maybe also going on hikes in nature, taking bike rides, etc. None of that will make you feel silly, and it might be more enjoyable than being trapped in the gym. You could also rent exercise videos... yoga makes me feel ridiculous, but every once in a while I pull out the DVD when I'm home alone and no one is around to laugh at me. :wink:

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    It takes me over an hour to burn 200 cal now I am at my goal weight. Still, it is saved for my glasses of wine at the weekend.
    If you hate the feel of sweat, and land based cardio is hard on your joints, try aqua fit (shallow or deep, I prefer shallow as I am not comfortable in deep water).
    It is fun, no one can see what you are doing in the water, and you can up your intensity as you get more comfortable with your moves.
    Even the cardio you are doing now is so worth it. The benefits go way beyond a 200 cal burn. You just need to try a few more alternate ways of doing it.
    Good luck, h
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Dr. Yoni Freedhoff's exercise mantra applies: "Some is good. More is better. Everything counts." (See his recent book The Diet Fix.)

200 calories might not seem like a lot, but it makes a difference. Depending on your calorie goal, it can be a 10-15% increase in daily calories. That, in turn, makes it a lot easier to stick to a calorie deficit.

That said, I think 200-300 calories for 20 minutes of elliptical is an exaggeration. That's 600-900 calories an hour. I'm now a 153-pound guy, and to burn 600 calories I need to bicycle 70-90 minutes, run for 45 minutes at an 8:00 pace, or row at 160 watts for 11000 meters (which takes 48 minutes).
  • rach3649
    rach3649 Posts: 40
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You dont look stupid! You look like everyone else, who also probably thinks they looks stupid... riding the elliptical.
    If you stick at it and do small increments in time you will get your fitness and time up. Pick those days you know you can do more and go for it.

PS what is a fudgesicle?

Just googled it.. OMG its a chocolate icy. YUM.