Should I consider it a "cheat" day if I'm still within 1200 cals?

Options
Really craving wings today and was going to get some. 8 wings for 440 calories. I still have 800 calories left to eat for the rest of the day but I really want these wings. Do I consider it a cheat day?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're under your calories, it's not a cheat day
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't be cheating if you work the food into your calories budget.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't consider it a cheat unless you go over on your calories (and even then, it's not a cheat if you exercise to make it up). If it's part of an otherwise healthy, well-balanced diet, then no food is forbidden if it's only on occasion.
  • Bloopers123
    Options
    why would you consider it a "cheat" day if you're within your calories?

I don't know! I've just been eating really really clean. Guess it just feels weird to eat stuff I consider "bad" and not call it a cheat day!

• iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you're watching your macros and they fit...eat them. I wouldn't consider it a cheat day. Not nessesarily healthy, but it's protein, and as long as the fat/carbs fit...why not?!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

I consider things that put me over my sodium or fat limits to be a cheat, but your calories are so low that it would be hard not to go over these limits.

Have you considered taking a not so aggressive approach?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    eating 440cals of delicious protein is hardly cheating.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I don't know! I've just been eating really really clean. Guess it just feels weird to eat stuff I consider "bad" and not call it a cheat day!

That's where your problem lies...don't put foods into "good" or "bad" categories. Calorie deficit is all that matters when it comes to weight loss.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Really craving wings today and was going to get some. 8 wings for 440 calories. I still have 800 calories left to eat for the rest of the day but I really want these wings. Do I consider it a cheat day?
    ABSURD!
    My cheat days are over 6000 calories... o:)
    That's a lot of wingless chickens!
  • Bloopers123
    Options
    giggitygoo wrote: »

I consider things that put me over my sodium or fat limits to be a cheat, but your calories are so low that it would be hard not to go over these limits.

I've been doing really well on 1200 cals. I don't eat back my exercise calories either unless I'm hungry and just really need something, then it's usually a fruit. I don't feel deprived at all because I still eat out once a week.. sometimes I do just crave for certain things and today it's hot wings!
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I find that instead of thinking of foods as "good" or "bad" I think of them as "daily" or "anytime" foods vs. "sometimes" foods and "rarely" foods. And of course, with the "sometimes" foods or "rarely" foods, I practice moderation. Since my day to day diet is jam packed with very healthy foods, I do not blink at the occasional "sometimes" food if it fits my calories.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I've been doing really well on 1200 cals. I don't eat back my exercise calories either unless I'm hungry and just really need something, then it's usually a fruit. I don't feel deprived at all because I still eat out once a week.. sometimes I do just crave for certain things and today it's hot wings!

You've been doing really well for how long? Because that's the kicker with undereating, especially when you're exercising. Everything is going great - and then it's not. Your workouts suffer, you start binging; it's just a bad situation all around.
  • Bloopers123
    Options
    Boccellin wrote: »

I find that instead of thinking of foods as "good" or "bad" I think of them as "daily" or "anytime" foods vs. "sometimes" foods and "rarely" foods. And of course, with the "sometimes" foods or "rarely" foods, I practice moderation. Since my day to day diet is jam packed with very healthy foods, I do not blink at the occasional "sometimes" food if it fits my calories.

thanks!! I will try to think of it like that instead!!
  • Bloopers123
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

You've been doing really well for how long? Because that's the kicker with undereating, especially when you're exercising. Everything is going great - and then it's not. Your workouts suffer, you start binging; it's just a bad situation all around.

For about 2 months now.. my last binge session was probably a little over 2 months ago. I still fit in a "cheat meal" every now and then so that I don't go crazy. I do feel satisfied on 1200 calories though.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    That's why I love calorie counting, every day is a cheat day, if I want some pizza I work it in. The best thing I ever did was decide to calorie count instead of doing some fad diet I would have never stuck to.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you need to change your mind set…there are no "bad" foods..just food that you use for energy …and no eating 440 calories with 800 left over is NOT a cheat day….
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "cheat" days. I'm not doing anything wrong. If you're wanting them, eat um, log um and move on.