Hit my goal...now what?!

Options
I have been with MFP for 14 months, and in that time I have lost 61 pounds (hit my goal weight on my birthday!). I know how to lose weight, but I'm not sure how to maintain. I have not changed my calories yet, because I'm not sure how high to go. I've read SO many different maintenance calories that I should be at, but they are all so different! So far, starting this new phase, I have not measured any foods and will see if I gain or maintain from that. I could still stand to lose up to 5 more pounds, but if I just lower my BF% that would be awesome. Does anyone have any good advice on how to do this transition? Or how high to set my calories (i.e. which calorie calculator is the most accurate)? I appreciate any help, thanks!!

Replies

• RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Firstly - CONGRATS! (*)

Secondly, I'm afraid there's no simple blanket answer because everyone is a little different.

For me, when I reached my goal I did not change a thing because I subscribe to the theory that the body knows when to stop losing. Therefore I just carried on and my body leveled off on its own & have settled to a very comfortable weight that I have been able to maintain with fairly little effort.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! I reached my goal around my birthday too. I waited about 2 weeks and then increased my calories 50-100 calories a day every 1-2 weeks until my weight leveled off. It's not an exact science. See what MFP gives you as maintenance to give you an idea.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Maintenance is just doing the same thing as losing with more calories. Keep logging. Keep weighing. Keep exercising.

I had slowed losing considerably by the time I hit my goal, so upped by 250 calories (I was at a pound a week/500 calorie deficit). I stayed at that deficit to see how I did because you never know. I didn't lose or gain and was comfortable, so stuck there for a year. Then I lost another 5 pound so upped another 250 calories and have been there since.

One thing I WOULD do is to set a new goal for yourself to stay interested. I bought a fitbit zip and have tried to hit 10,000 steps/day. I also bought a pilates ball to sit on at work. I don't always hit my steps, but I do try and both have helped me lose inches while I maintain.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It's taken me about 6 weeks to find maintenance, mainly because a big part of me found it difficult to give up the buzz of losing. I upped by 100 calories per day per week and appear to have found it at 2100 per day (before exercise calories).
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »
    It's taken me about 6 weeks to find maintenance, mainly because a big part of me found it difficult to give up the buzz of losing. I upped by 100 calories per day per week and appear to have found it at 2100 per day (before exercise calories).

Likewise, I added 100 cals/day each week until I found my maintenance point.

Congrats on your achievement.

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    congratulations!
    Agree with the above, its not an exact science and I found it hard (and still do sometimes) to not panic when the scale shows a 1lb gain even though I know this is fine. Continue to weigh regularly to keep track, say once a week. Increase calories in small amounts, and try and keep the same kind of eating habits.

It takes a while to get used to maintenance, just as it did to losing. Agree that setting a new goal helps, to replace the buzz from losing, and keep you motivated.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Congrats. What a great birthday present. Maintenance for me is only 200 calories more a day. I am small and have a desk job. So it really depends on you.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I do have a goal, I want to lose 2% body fat and see some amazing abs. :)
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    logg1e wrote: »

Likewise, I added 100 cals/day each week until I found my maintenance point.

Congrats on your achievement.

I have done the same. One other piece of advice I would offer is to set a goal range - maybe your goal weight +/- 2 or 3 pounds.
  • vsheetz1
    vsheetz1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and vegetables, predominately white fish and white meat chicken, and 2000+ physical activity calories a week. Track what you eat and count your calories.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Hey, maintenance is pretty darn scary at first, then it gets fun. I just keep logging and trying new ways to exercise. My rule is nothing beyond 30 minutes.. and I keep trying new ways to add more activity to my day - more walking, more standing. I have found that for me, my goal weight is 3 pounds down or up from my goal weight. So the scale is my friend.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I would continue to log, at least for a little while. By doing this you eventually will get to know what your body and what your maintenance calories are. I began by just upping a little at a time.(100 calories/day) As far as reducing body fat. Protein and lifting! Great job on reaching your goal!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In a very similar situation, as in I hit my goal a little while ago, yet could also stand to lose a few more pounds. My own decision was to reverse diet, bumping my calories by 100/ 150, and since then adding 50 calories each week.

My thinking being I will shed a few more pounds when reversing back up to maintenance calories, a level I will find myself through this process, as well as allowing my metabolism to rise a little in the process hopefully.

Then once I hit maintenance, I shall stay at maintenance calories for a few weeks to allow my body to experience normality for a while, and actually I've planned my reverse diet so that this period shall coincide with christmas, something I plan to enjoy (but not to the extent I gain weight).

In the new year then I shall re-assess my goals, and probably go for one last final round of weight loss to hit my ultimate body fat % goal, something that shall hopefully be a little easier after my reverse diet and hopefully higher maintenance calorie level :smile:

By the way, once I hit my weight goals, I plan to set new goals, which shall be more than likely fitness goals, as I find it a lot easier when I have something to aim for :smile:
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    For me, maintaining is actually harder than losing. It's hard switching between mindsets. I tend to keep a daily deficit so that when something unexpected comes up, like eating out, vacations, I don't feel like working out, I'm extra hungry, etc., it doesn't really matter because I have the room to play around with my calories.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    JagerLewis wrote: »
    I have been with MFP for 14 months, and in that time I have lost 61 pounds (hit my goal weight on my birthday!). I know how to lose weight, but I'm not sure how to maintain. I have not changed my calories yet, because I'm not sure how high to go. I've read SO many different maintenance calories that I should be at, but they are all so different! So far, starting this new phase, I have not measured any foods and will see if I gain or maintain from that. I could still stand to lose up to 5 more pounds, but if I just lower my BF% that would be awesome. Does anyone have any good advice on how to do this transition? Or how high to set my calories (i.e. which calorie calculator is the most accurate)? I appreciate any help, thanks!!

Congratulations on meeting your goal.

Once, I got to my goal weight, I set my goal in MFP to lose 0.5 pounds per week for the first month or so after reaching my goal then gradually moved it up 100 calories until I stopped losing but did not gain.

After a few months of maintenance, I stopped logging everyday, but I found myself coming back to log when I needed/wanted to change my focus, such as, when I set exercise goals, started incorporating different foods into my diet (to see impact to total calories), started new habits -- more snacking or extra meals or caloric beverages, etc...or when I get to the top of my +/- 3 pound range, or during high periods of stress to prevent stress eating.

Best wishes as you find your new normal.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am new to maintaining. Under 2 weeks.

My theory: trial & error. Make slight changes to what you're doing, such as aiming for a little higher calorie # and less restrictive on weighing/measuring. Monitor your progress and in 4-6 weeks adjust as needed.

That is what I'm doing. I expect my burn to be ~2000-2100 per day (use a Fitbit which I know is not 100% accurate). I'm aiming now for 1800-1900 in per day. MFP gives me 1790 to maintain, at lightly active, before exercise. I think I'm midway between lightly active & active, as I hit 13.5k steps at least 6 days each week. If everything were 100% accurate there would be a slight deficit, and I too could stand to lose a bit more from my midsection. But I don't expect Fitbit to be 100% accurate on my burn and I am estimating some here & there on portion sizes. I believe strength training, toning will help with the flabby apperance. So far, so good. I hit my goal if 129.x and since 10-11-14 I've been 130-131. But not really a gain, as I have had several high sodium days, had a night out (with frozen sangria margaritas, and no guilt) for my birthday.

If I were to see a trend of moving upward then I'd adjust by aiming for 1700-1800. Or bumping my burn goal up to 2050-2100.