Weight-Loss After Higher Caloric Days?

Options
Among my MFP friends and family it seems to have happened to everyone... you're in a plateau, haven't lost anything in weeks, then WHAM! the day after a higher caloric day you find that weight-loss you were looking for!

I was stuck in a plateau for like 2 weeks, yesterday I had one slice of pizza and a couple bites of cake at a birthday party (within my calorie allowance), woke up this morning to found I had lost nearly a pound!

Can anyone give me a rational (possibly scientific) explanation? I know that it helps to throw your body off now and then so I change my intake regularly to keep my body on it's toes, but it seems like it's always the day after eating junk or drinking one too many that I see these losses... what gives?

Thanks in advance for the respectable responses!

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It's known as the whoosh effect. When we lose bodyfat, the empty fat cell fills with water. Increasing the intake of our food for a day changes water balance and encourages the water in the fat cells to be released.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have also done "liquid diets" (broths, protein powder, broth based soups and vegetables) to break plateaus but it came out ineffective, yet I have a few bites of junk and I am dropping? It's very frustrating & I know I am not the only one this happens to.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    The whoosh effect, gotcha. Well at least now I have a name for it so I can look into it some more, I couldn't find anything without a name, thank you! Makes sense of course, I know that a day of upping my intake helps as long as its mostly protein but yesterday was a normal protein day..
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Your welcome and congrats on your amazing weight loss!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    It's known as the whoosh effect. When we lose bodyfat, the empty fat cell fills with water. Increasing the intake of our food for a day changes water balance and encourages the water in the fat cells to be released.

That's what I was thinking. Lyle McDonald wrote an interesting piece on Whooshes.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Lyle Mcdonald, that narrows the search even more, thanks