Belly fat

Options
I need help in an exercise to help tighten up my belly. I need to something that will help work the muscles so that I can tone the muscle. I know sit ups are what people tell me to do. How many? How many reps?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as toning. You have to lose fat by eating at a calorie deficit. Strength training helps keep the muscle you have.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat in a deficit and lift heavy with compound movements …training your core every day for a set period of time is a waste of time IMO …I dedicate one 30-40 minute session a week to training my abs..the rest is compound movements….
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have found to strengthen my core (because your belly is part of your core) is heavy compound exercises. To "tone" your core you have to lose fat and strengthen the muscles under. I do a few sets of two exercises once a week for core, other than that squats, deadlifts, bench press and pull ups do a great job.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sharont81 wrote: »
    I need help in an exercise to help tighten up my belly. I need to something that will help work the muscles so that I can tone the muscle. I know sit ups are what people tell me to do. How many? How many reps?
    Just work your abs with sit-ups or whatever, and that's good! You should do this along with a full body workout targeting all muscle groups.
    The problem is that you can't specially tone your belly or spot reduce fat.
    It takes an approach involving overall body fat reduction through proper diet and smart, effective exercise.
    I wish there was a short cut to belly reduction through some magic exercise - believe it!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Ab wheel rollouts are the bomb for working the core specifically, as are L-sits and planking. Don't forget to throw in some rotaional work as well like washing machines, wood chops etc.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    i agree with everyone's response above. it won't matter how many sit ups, crunches or planks u do for your abs if u don't have a consistent healthy diet. reduction in belly fat is 80% (give or take) diet and 20% exercise