crockpot

Options
is it okay to put raw meat in the crock pot along with veggies and rice? there's no chance of salmonella? i know it's a weird question but i'm paranoid i'll give myself food poisoning. It's the first time I use a crockpot.

Replies

• amberrn1
    amberrn1 Posts: 2
    Options
    it is perfectly fine! i use my crockpot all of them time. everything comes out perfect everytime!
  • 365healthchallenge
    Options
    Yup, perfectly fine. I love my crockpot :)
  • tristan83
    tristan83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    it is perfectly fine! i use my crockpot all of them time. everything comes out perfect everytime!

Do you have any recipes for a beginner?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is perfectly fine! :)

Here's a recipe I did last night!
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Carnitas/Detail.aspx

And another favorite, but probably not for summer:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Beef-Stew-I/Detail.aspx

I also like to just do a roast in the crockpot. Throw in a roast, potatoes, carrots, onions, envelope of Lipton Onion Soup and a little bit of beef broth. I haven't calculated nutrition information on that yet! You could do the same with chicken, though I'd put in some poultry seasoning and rosemary instead of the onion soup packet.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    sparkspeople.com has really good recipes
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    The crockpot heats the food to a high enough temp (over 140 degrees F) that it kills any bacteria that MAY be present. Just a side note that if you are reheating foods, you want to reheat it to 165 degrees F for at least 30 minutes. If you are worried, I would buy a meat thermometer and remove all doubt.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I don't think theres many crock pot recipes out there without meat, lol. Just kidding! I do stews, ham and split pea soup and chilli most of the time in mine, other than that I don't use it much! Good luck and hope your dinner turns out yummy!!
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded =) I feel much better now.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Here is a simple & tasty recipe.....1 top round roast (fat trimmed), 1 jar of salsa, dump in C'pot, when it's all cooked shred and enjoy. This also works with chicken.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot all the time. I have even made baked potatoes, stuffed green peppers, cakes in it. Best invention ever for the working mom!!!!