Is re-heated pasta less fattening?

Options
2»

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Supposedly, it's refrigerated resistant starch that is less absorbed by the body, but I doubt it. A few years ago 2 women wrote a resistant starch diet book. Naturally, they laughed all the way to the bank.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Does microwaving food really change it caloric content? I don't think so. Not a significant amount, at the very least. Does it change how your body digests it? Possibly. Does that make a difference as to how much weight you will lose? No.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    One study on its own is not enough but the results of this one are heartening. Thank you JenniDaisy for drawing it to our attention.
    I wonder if the same happens to the starch in bread when it is made into toast seeing as how it has already been heated during baking.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    There were no loss in carbs in the reheated pasta, that I read in the linked article. What they found is that the pasta became a resitant starch and therefor didn't raise blood sugar as high .... like 50% less for the pasta that was cooled and then reheated.

Back about 55 years ago, I worked in a restaurant that served spaghetti as one of it's featured dishes ... We cooked the #9 pasta very al-dente and portioned it out onto a stainless steel try by weight. Then the tray would be covered with saran and refrigerated. When an order for spaghetti would come in later that day, a portion would be plunged back into a cooker of boiling water and brought to proper doneness and heat, sauced and served. Who knew, we were improving the nutritional value of spaghetti with our cook-cool-warm up method!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There's nothing in the article to justify the "less fattening" tag, all they're really describing is a lowering of the pasta's GI index.