too few calories?

Options
Ive just input everything that I plan on eating today: grapes, banana, chopped chicken salad from subway with dressing, pork chops grilled with cabbage and green beans..........that totals 803 calories and I have 657 left...........this seems like an awful lot of food

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sounds low to me. How did you determine how many calories were in your dinner? Did you weigh the pork chop or just guess? What about any oils used for cooking?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sounds low to me. How did you determine how many calories were in your dinner? Did you weigh the pork chop or just guess? What about any oils used for cooking?

This.

If you still end up short on calories, why not add in more at dinner or add dessert or something?
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    The generic calorie count for a pork chop is 505 calories for 219g. I assume 219g is the size of an average pork chop.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

+1... Alot of times people forget to add any oils and whatnot that's used to cook with. If you took that into consideration, I'd suggest eating a couple of TBSP (weighed TBSP) of PB or some full fat cheese to up the calories a bit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    joaniej75 wrote: »
    Ive just input everything that I plan on eating today: grapes, banana, chopped chicken salad from subway with dressing, pork chops grilled with cabbage and green beans..........that totals 803 calories and I have 657 left...........this seems like an awful lot of food

Assuming that all of your calorie information is correct (and I agree with those above who say it seems a little low), let's look at this from a nutritional standpoint. Since you already have it logged, take a look at your nutrition reports and see. Did you get enough protein for the day? Enough fat? (Most of us think MFP sets their goals for these a little low, so try to get close or even over most days). Plenty of fiber (around 20+ grams)? Did you get all of your recommended vitamins, especially things like calcium and iron?

A day or two way below your calorie levels is fine, but it's hard to get all of the nutrition your body needs on 800 calories a day. Remember that feeling full or not hungry isn't always the best indicator of whether or not you're eating enough. The body's hunger signals can be knocked out of whack by too many things and won't always warn you if you're low on any particular nutrient.

• MissyLaRae
    MissyLaRae Posts: 7 Member
    Options

That's because you're only eating small amounts and you've got a lot of veggies in there. 803 calories for a day will put your body into starvation mode and you will begin to gain weight. Realistically you should be eating a minimum of 2500 calories a day.

Check out 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    MissyLaRae wrote: »

That's because you're only eating small amounts and you've got a lot of veggies in there. 803 calories for a day will put your body into starvation mode and you will begin to gain weight. Realistically you should be eating a minimum of 2500 calories a day.

Yep....just look at all of those overweight starving children in 3rd world countries!!

<insert eyeroll emoticon here>
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

2500? Really without knowing any stats you just throw out that number. Also no on the starvation mode. You really need to do some more research.

OP your estimates seem low as stated above. But if you are that low add something else in, but make sure your nutritional needs are met once you do that, have 2 pork chops, have 1/2 cup of ice cream.

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

1. The concept of starvation mode is idiotic, as I_WILL_END_YOU points out.
    2. I'm a 6', 180-pound guy who lifts, and I maintain at 2500 calories.

• CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    For one thing, weight your food. Estimates can be way off and it sounds like yours are.

Secondly, amount of food and the caloric content of food aren't really the same thing. For example...I could probably eat a 100 pounds of celery and not reach my calorie goal for the day...or I could eat 1 Big Mac and eat enough calories for days in that one meal. I'm just guessing as I don't know the exact calories of celery per/lb or a Big Mac but clearly quantity doesn't always equate to calories/nutrition.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    nm

• katherinemab
    katherinemab Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I second this. Can't see your diary as it's locked but I highly recommend weighing all foods and entering EVERYTHING (cooking oils, a bite of this or that) for an accurate calorie count! I keep pre-measured snacks that are high in calories for when I'm just below my goals (avocados, peanut butter).
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That's my line. :)

Everyone has a different set point on their caloric intake. I have maintained 800-1000 calories a day for just under 3 months, lost almost 60 pounds to date - and still walk an hour a day / bike an hour a day on the weekends. No negative mood issues, no cognitive issues. For the record - I'm currently 6'0 and weigh 247.

Just because I can do less calories than someone else doesn't mean that I'd tell everyone to intake less than 1,000 calories - and frankly those of you that need more calories shouldn't be telling anyone that less calories are good or bad (unless you are the physician / dietician for the particular person and that person has waived any HIPAA medical confidentiality).

The recommended caloric counts are generic on purpose. Diets less than 800 calories are only recommended for those under the care of a physician - who is likely running blood and heart tests along the way.

Yep....just look at all of those overweight starving children in 3rd world countries!!

• I_Will_End_You
    Options
    The generic calorie count for a pork chop is 505 calories for 219g. I assume 219g is the size of an average pork chop.

um...no...an average size pork chop IS NOT 219g....more like 100g to 130g...I just checked the USDA site...

I thought that sounded high. I don't eat meat, so I'm clueless on portion sizes. I was just going by the serving size on the google search.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Lolz.

For real, let's just throw out 2500 calories without any personal info! Real smart.

I'd gain at 2500, but since you said I can I am sooooo going to eat that much now. Peanut butter here I come! <3

• dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've had several doctors that recommended that I eat 800 calories a day. I've lost a lot of weight by doing this. Nowadays, I eat mostly proteins and fats. Carbs have no value, and the carbs that I eat come from vegetables only. There is no starvation mode. If there was, there would be obese children starving in Africa. Don't forget all those fat prisoners liberated from concentration camps after World War 2. If you are not hungry, don't eat.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    dgroulx wrote: »
    I've had several doctors that recommended that I eat 800 calories a day. I've lost a lot of weight by doing this. Nowadays, I eat mostly proteins and fats. Carbs have no value, and the carbs that I eat come from vegetables only. If you are not hungry, don't eat.
    This is just such bad advice I don't even know where to start.