Weight fluctuations on your period

Options
2»

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah, I have seen menstral water weight gains of 10-15lbs!!!! Now that's just scary. There is seriously no point in my weighing around that time. But your metabolism speeds up during that time too, so if you don't PMS binge you may find that you have a really big drop after the water weight is gone.
  • muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    yes
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    meggwtw wrote: »
    Ugh. This may be too much information, but I supposedly gained 5 pounds (FIVE) in the last two days. I think the reason I supposedly gained the weight is because I just started my period...Do any other females here experience menstrual cycle weight fluctuations?

Nope, it's just you. :|

This happens to me every week after my long runs. Don't worry about water weight.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yes. I gain about 5 lbs of bloat the week before every period - my tummy gets all bulgy and I feel puffy and huge and my digestions slows waaaay down. Then, a week later, it all vanishes and I'm back to normal again. I'm learning to live with it and just wear looser clothes that week and not worry about it much :)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Oooooo girl- stay away from that scale during your period! It's not good. My weight goes back down a few days after it's gone.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i don't even bother weighing myself. I retain water like a beast.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself because it's a good indication that if the number goes up on the scale, I'm probably about to get my period. Sort of like an early warning system. I don't get discouraged at the number on the scale, though; it's just a data point.

The good news is, for the first 1-2 days of my period, I tend to lose my appetite, particularly my sweet tooth, which is pervasive the rest of the time. And I always feel like doing more exercise, since it helps with cramps. So mine is probably actually good for my weight loss efforts! Go figure. :)

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Ive only had about 250 periods, so I cant say for sure that this pattern is legit. But i always gain 8 pounds when I catch the cotton mouse. The best way to figure this out is to track your weight through about 3 months to see what your particular pattern is!
  • DevilsNegu
    DevilsNegu Posts: 60 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yup totally had the happen just a little while. I was so upset ugh but back on track now
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    my weigh in day is Friday I weighed in at 204.3. I started spotting on Tuesday evening and for *kitten* and giggles got on the scale Wednesday morning it reported 199.6 I don't trust that - who loses weight during their cycle? I'm wondering if I should skip logging my weight in MFP this week because I'll be bummed if it goes back up next week