Who has had to completely give up alcohol for weight loss?

Options
12346»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    I have alcohol sometimes with my refeed day which happens about once a week. It's been a couple weeks since i've included alcohol in it. I'll never get rid of it completely. Margaritas are life

:lol: And yet the, "Margaritas are life," is exactly why I gave it up! Life with Margaritas (and Mojitos, and IPAs and Bloody Marys and that really good scotch and and and and...) yeah.

• Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if I “had to” but I gave up alcohol as the first step of my weight-loss, because I’ve never been a big eater and it seemed the easiest way to cut a lot of calories. Over the first few months, I lost 20lbs or more, so it certainly gave me a good start.

Oddly enough I found it easy. In the 30 years leading up to quitting, I averaged at least half a bottle of wine every day (and a lot more at weekends), but I can’t say I’ve missed it at all.

Did it affect my social life? Not really, but then I’m in my 50’s. My days of going out on the beers with the boys ended long ago. Half “the boys” are dead, for one thing. When we do get together, once or twice a year, I do have a drink or two, but I’m rubbish at it these days. A complete amateur. I had two shots of very nice malt whiskey at the weekend and was what I used to call “6 pints drunk”. Oh well, at least I’m a cheap date.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I keep to only drinking on weekends and within my calories unless it's a "cheat" day.

Alcohol is bad enough, i wouldn't subject my body to it every day. Talking weight loss or not
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yep.

Nope.

It, of course, eases the pain of it when prescribed medications which require alcohol to be verboten. :)
  • AngelJenny74
    AngelJenny74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yup...replaced it with smoking weed instead (calorie free)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Except for munchies, LOL. When I smoked weed in college I would down huge amounts of doughnuts and pizza.

• ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I had to three years ago when I joined in May 2016. Not one sip and don't miss it at all! I was totally shocked after drinking a couple glasses of wine every night for 30years!!
  • MarisaMSimon
    MarisaMSimon Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE soda and alcoholic drinks on the weekends. Now that I've been counting my calories weekly, I hardly ever have enough calories for drinks. Therefore, I'm the DD for my friends and I can still have a good time hanging out. I prefer having my calories coming from foods than drinks :smile:
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I stopped May 2018 and I dont miss it. My hand "drink" is seltzer with lemon and lime.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Over time I've weaned off to almost nothing. I started out doing extra cardio so I had daily room for the booze I "needed" to feel sane. As my weight came down that got less and less fun, and wasted a bunch of muscle mass. I took a trip abroad at one point and the jet lag and time difference just threw off my drinking schedule, and I was so pleased to be drinking less just as it happened that I decided to have a dry month when I got home. That was last June/July. Since then I've just been less and less tolerant to the point where I felt stupid getting all drunk chatty with friends one time, and I get a pretty good headache next morning from one drink. I think I'm just over it, but it was a process. I'm not saying I don't drink, or I won't ever, but I look at it completely different now. I feel no weirdness not drinking if my friends are, in social gatherings, but in fairness we're not hanging out to drink, it's usually like book club or dinner out and an event like a play or something.
  • dorothy2512
    dorothy2512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a LOT of wine, most days, and when i first decided to lose weight, I was still trying to do the same, I would work out my food, around the wine, it after a week or two, the food won, and the alcohol was getting less and less, so I have gone teetotal all together, as when you drink, you make bad choices with snacks etc, I find I am a lot better by not having any alcohol at all, and when we do go out for social events I drink double lime and soda, and it’s good. I can’t be the DD anymore as I have bad eyes, so can’t drive anymore!
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Ha right?
  • KKishaA
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Except for munchies, LOL. When I smoked weed in college I would down huge amounts of doughnuts and pizza.

Marijuana makes me not eat because I'm so freaked out. Maybe I should try it? 🤷‍♀️
  • KKishaA
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    I had to three years ago when I joined in May 2016. Not one sip and don't miss it at all! I was totally shocked after drinking a couple glasses of wine every night for 30years!!

This is where I want to be. Eventually the benefits get over shadowed by the negative consequences when you need more then two glasses. Good for you changing it up after 30yrs!
  • KKishaA
    Options
    Over time I've weaned off to almost nothing. I started out doing extra cardio so I had daily room for the booze I "needed" to feel sane. As my weight came down that got less and less fun, and wasted a bunch of muscle mass. I took a trip abroad at one point and the jet lag and time difference just threw off my drinking schedule, and I was so pleased to be drinking less just as it happened that I decided to have a dry month when I got home. That was last June/July. Since then I've just been less and less tolerant to the point where I felt stupid getting all drunk chatty with friends one time, and I get a pretty good headache next morning from one drink. I think I'm just over it, but it was a process. I'm not saying I don't drink, or I won't ever, but I look at it completely different now. I feel no weirdness not drinking if my friends are, in social gatherings, but in fairness we're not hanging out to drink, it's usually like book club or dinner out and an event like a play or something.

Love this! A natural process.