BodyMedia Calorie Counting Accuracy

Options
Is anyone using the BodyMedia device (just got bought by Jawbone)? If so, I'd appreciate your feedback. I'm trying to get an idea of how accurate it is tracking calories burned.

Thanks!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's just an estimate, so for some things/people it'll be pretty close, for others it'll be way off.

IME, activity trackers are more accurate the longer the timeframe you look at. So while calories tracked over an hour might be way off, calories tracked over a day or 2 might be much closer.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine since June - minus a trip overseas, and a couple weeks with an injury - I really like it.
    When I was researching devices for calorie counters, this was by far my favorite. You can review comparisons online and reviews, to make an educated choice. For which will work better for you.

When you use a HRM with the BM arm band for workouts your numbers become much more accurate.

When the device was released (I have done much research since then) it was stated to be the most accurate tracker (in it's class) on the market. From my experience, it seems fairly accurate.

It motivates me too! I can check it throughout the day and make sure that I'm hitting step goals, and activity goals as well.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I had the first and second generation bodymedia armband. It was the most accurate tracker I ever used. If I input my information accurately and stayed within my set goals I dropped weight accordingly every week. I don't know how the new ones are. My only dislike was it was just such an obvious piece of equipment. And I love the user interface. I use a Loop now.
  • samestrin
    samestrin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I had the first and second generation bodymedia armband. It was the most accurate tracker I ever used. If I input my information accurately and stayed within my set goals I dropped weight accordingly every week. I don't know how the new ones are. My only dislike was it was just such an obvious piece of equipment. And I love the user interface. I use a Loop now.

Since you moved to the Loop, I'm curious what were the benefits of the move? Thanks!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Since you moved to the Loop, I'm curious what were the benefits of the move? Thanks!
    [/quote]

The Bodymedia, in my opinion, took out all the guesswork for me. I was only using that website to track everything. I just had to put in my food. So as long as I ate at the goal I had set and burned the proper calories during the day I would hit my loss every week.

I stopped wearing because it was so visible especially in the Vegas summers. Winter not a big deal as much as I was wearing long sleeves. Before I got my Loop I was using a regular HRM but I like gadgets and I like the idea of the tracker and knowing my steps and when I should get up and take a walk, etc., but I liked that the Loop took the place of my HRM if too if I added the chest band during workouts.

Now, the Loop website is no where near as nice and user friendly as the Bodymedia and it doesn't integrate with MFP. In a nutshell it tells me my total calories for the day, steps/miles and what I burned during exercise. The drawback to the Bodymedia was that it didn't display my HR but I think the new models have a wrist unit that does. Another drawback to the Bodymedia is a prescription fee.