Zumba - is it any good?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A co-worker offered me an old set of Zumba DVD workouts. Anyone here used or using Zumba DVDs? I don't want to take them if I won't use them so looking for some general information like is it a good cardio workout (cardio is what I'm looking for)? How much room do you need to do it? Or any other information or opinions on it.

My favorite exercise!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Another option for shoes is to put ductape on the ball of the foot of your shoes (probably only a good idea if you ONLY use them for zumba, though LOL).

My husband has these big stress reduction mats he uses when working in the garage. I thought I might try moving one of those inside to use, if I can find one that isn't too dirty.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Another option for shoes is to put ductape on the ball of the foot of your shoes (probably only a good idea if you ONLY use them for zumba, though LOL).
    You people are so smart!
    Really? I don't know... I wonder if there's like a class where you can just try it out once just to see if you're right. :smile:
    Most strictly Zumba instructors (ie. not at a gym) would probably give you a free trial class. I have always had that for dance classes. If you find Zumba at a gym, you could probably get a free or discounted day pass to the gym, and take the class on the night that they have Zumba (I have also experienced this). Good luck!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

My husband has these big stress reduction mats he uses when working in the garage. I thought I might try moving one of those inside to use, if I can find one that isn't too dirty.

Zumba on a hard floor is just fine. At my gym we do Zumba in a room with hardwood floors built on top of cement. It's less than ideal but a good pair of sneakers works well.

And no, don't do the duct tape trick. That's a way to get injured.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I tried it with a friend and hated it. Mostly because I can't dance and felt like Elaine from Seinfeld on the dance floor (youtube it if you don't know what I mean). Would probably be enjoyable after a few shots of Sambuca, but I guess that defeats the purpose :blush:

haha, this is exactly how I felt. The classes I took definitely left me drenched in sweat, but I felt *so* silly the whole time, and could never quite nail the choreography. Not for me.

Depends on the teacher and the mix of students in the class. My teacher is amazing and the class is a mix of men and women of all ages shapes and sizes. 0 judgement and lots of fun!

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I heard tennis type shoes were a good idea for Zumba...
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Steph_135 wrote: »
    I heard tennis type shoes were a good idea for Zumba...

I've had great luck with Adidas Climacool for Zumba (I needed to switch from a regular cross trainer Adidas since the floor is really hard)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    And shoes that have the pivot point work well, too. It's the circle area at the ball of the foot. Unfortunately, I have issues with plantar and those shoes don't have enough support for my feet. I miss them. :(
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I go about 2 times a week. I love Zumba classes..the energy and music. Having a great instructor also makes a difference!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I tried the DVD last night. A workout called Cardio Party. I had a hard time keeping up with the moves, as predicted, but it was really fun and definitely got my heart rate up. They kept mentioning a beginner DVD which I guess breaks down the moves, but was not in the set I was given. Oh well, it was free and I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.

Oh, and I decided to just do the workout in the garage where there is plenty of room and no carpet (because who carpets their garage ;) ). It was a cool evening so it worked perfectly.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I tried it with a friend and hated it. Mostly because I can't dance and felt like Elaine from Seinfeld on the dance floor (youtube it if you don't know what I mean). Would probably be enjoyable after a few shots of Sambuca, but I guess that defeats the purpose :blush:
    This right here. I don't like things with a lot of steps that I cannot keep up with. I wind up feeling awkward and quitting because it doesn't feel like it's doing me any good.

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!! It's a very good workout. It takes awhile to pick up the moves so don't get discouraged. Just keep moving and you're good!!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Zumba - if you want to pay to learn how to just throw your arms about a bit while moving around, then fine. Alternatively, you could just do this by getting drunk and going to your local nightclub.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Zumba - if you want to pay to learn how to just throw your arms about a bit while moving around, then fine. Alternatively, you could just do this by getting drunk and going to your local nightclub.

Thanks for that valuable feedback, but as I stated in my OP, I am getting the DVDs for free. Also, we don't have any local nightclubs where I live.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

Thanks for that valuable feedback, but as I stated in my OP, I am getting the DVDs for free. Also, we don't have any local nightclubs where I live.

Ok, sorry to hear it. Works just as well in a park though if you havent got a nightclub.....
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the workout! You'll pick it up in time, and won't have any problem. That's what I like about working at home. No one sees you. :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I tried the DVD last night. A workout called Cardio Party. I had a hard time keeping up with the moves, as predicted, but it was really fun and definitely got my heart rate up. They kept mentioning a beginner DVD which I guess breaks down the moves, but was not in the set I was given. Oh well, it was free and I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.

Oh, and I decided to just do the workout in the garage where there is plenty of room and no carpet (because who carpets their garage ;) ). It was a cool evening so it worked perfectly.

As long as you keep moving even tho you don't get the moves, that's what counts. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It really is great cardio!! :flowerforyou:
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been doing zumba for 1.5 years. I LOVE it, it's really hard for me to do anything else (I plateaued only doing zumba and now have to incorporate body weight). I've never done the DVD's though, I had a class I went to then moved to another state. I now follow Lauren Fitz on youtube as well as Darci Serr and do some of the routines that I know from my old instructor. Once you've done the dance a couple times you'll know it, it's all about following the pattern