Just Log it.

Options
desweds
desweds Posts: 126 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
Getting healthy is overwhelming. I can't do all this quickly.
In time I will make this work and see amazing results.
I will learn and make adjustments that will get me moving towards my goals.
Only one thing is constant:
Just log it.

Ate an entire Meat Lover’s and a jar of Nutella? Be honest and just log it.
Already in bed but you didn’t log in yet? Get up and just log it.
Don’t know how much sushi you ate? Guess high and just log it.
Skipped the last three days and lost your streak? Start again today and just log it.
Thinking your macros are screwed up? They probably are. Just log it.
Got hammered last night and have no idea what you did? Throw in 1500 calories and just log it.
Haven’t lost weight in three days? Who cares? Just log it.
Afraid of failure? The only real failure is failure to just log it.

Replies

• aliackerman
    aliackerman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this philosophy. On days when I overeat, I just keep logging everything. That way I see how big of a hole I'm digging for myself and have full knowledge of what it will take to dig myself back out. "Just keep logging" is my mantra. I recently gained 5 lbs during a week of catered breakfasts and lunches while in all-day meetings at my office (translation: sitting all day and full access to tons of CRAP to eat). I just kept logging everything that I ate and drank. When I saw the 5 lb jump, I knew exactly how it happened and it was no surprise. Now I'm back to eating normally, the 5 lbs is gone, and the scale is moving in the right direction again.

Just keep logging...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Had 2 pumpkin ales and chicken wings - yep I just logged it
  • desweds
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Had 2 pumpkin ales and chicken wings - yep I just logged it

I hear you sister...I had a ton of chocolate chips. Logged and public.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    That's what's worked best for me :) 80 lbs down so far, its been up and down, but I can easily tell what works for me by logging honestly.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Great mantra. After logging all my food today was over so hopped,on my elliptical for 30 minutes. It was 10pm. No way would have done the 30 minutes if I hadn't logged. Newly joined and loving this site.
  • desweds
    Options
    fobs13 wrote: »
    Great mantra. After logging all my food today was over so hopped,on my elliptical for 30 minutes. It was 10pm. No way would have done the 30 minutes if I hadn't logged. Newly joined and loving this site.

Thanks. I also see it as a mantra.
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Truth.

...and it works both ways. If you honestly log all your food and aren't losing at the expected rate, you will be properly armed with correct information when you complain to your doctor!
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Log it - motivating, informative, behaviour changing, mind blowing, educational, inspiring.... Way too many good reasons to not do it!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    While sucking it up and logging it might be motivating to take a deep breath and keep a failure of a day to become months, there's another aspect to it that I like.

If you are as accurate as possible about your intake, weigh yourself every day and track that weight as a moving average of some longer period of time (say 10 days or so), you're getting a MUCH more accurate picture of how many calories you need to lose, gain or stay the same. Since calories v. weight loss are only a guess, this is a HUGE help in having a clear picture of what your body is really doing.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep...this is my philosophy.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    <3
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    so fed up with people saying: "not bother to log it, mad weekend" "sister's birthday, not logging tonight", "going on holiday, see you next week" etc!
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    desweds wrote: »
    Getting healthy....<snip>

Ate an entire Meat Lover’s and a jar of Nutella? Be honest and just log it.
    Already in bed but you didn’t log in yet? Get up and just log it.
    Don’t know how much sushi you ate? Guess high and just log it.
    Skipped the last three days and lost your streak? Start again today and just log it.
    Thinking your macros are screwed up? They probably are. Just log it.
    Got hammered last night and have no idea what you did? Throw in 1500 calories and just log it.
    Haven’t lost weight in three days? Who cares? Just log it.
    Afraid of failure? The only real failure is failure to just log it.

This sounds like some bizarro parody of Weird Al's 'Eat It' parody of Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' song.

I agree, if you only log the positive you are missing half the equation.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    isn't the whole point of myfitnesspal to make shure that you're not horribly *kitten* up your diet?
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Once I started logging my food intake, I was stunned at the amount of calories I consumed.
    :o
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm using that same philosophy now. Every morsel of food and every ounce of liquid that passes my lips is now getting logged! Now if I am unable to log due to lack of technology (such as a cruise), that's different. But outside of that - I'll be logging!
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Completely AGREE!!!! Cant fix anything unless you know and are honest with yourself!