Do I really need a PT?

Options
There is this contest at my gym that is going to be starting next week. It's a 60 day challenge to lose the most weight/body fat and consists of 5 personal training sessions (boot camp style) a customized work out plan and nutrition help of some sort for $130. My question is this...I really want to participate (the cost scares me though) but all I can think of is, if what I'm doing at the gym and with my eating is working for me right now, why would I spent the 130 dollars for a personal trainer to do a challenge? I've always sort of figured I'd spend the money on a trainer when I hit a plateau and need the extra help. Right now, I'm fine. I'm losing at a steady pace and what I'm doing seems to be working. However, I like a challenge. I just don't want to spend money I don't really have. I'm basically looking for opinions. Would you do it? Would you wait until the next contest? Would you not do it at all if you were me?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    . I just don't want to spend money I don't really have.

Errr

You don't have the money easily to hand. You don't spend it

Surely?
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have money. It could just be easily spent doing something else, or on something else. Part of me says "It's an investment to yourself, do it." and the other part says, "But why? You don't need the help right now. Wait until the next challenge." That's my dilemma.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have money. It could just be easily spent doing something else, or on something else. Part of me says "It's an investment to yourself, do it." and the other part says, "But why? You don't need the help right now. Wait until the next challenge." That's my dilemma.

then do it.
    i get all the above included in my monthly membership and it is fully worthwhile.
    i query boot camp style personal training tho.intense.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well in that case I wouldn't until you need a boost because everything is working for you

Although I do love my PT because he pushes me and it's like buying in will power, you don't sound like you need it yet
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is a promotional campaign for the fitness center--it is not really a "weight loss program". (And I am not criticizing that at all). So you shouldn't really think of it as "personal training", but as a recreational program. It's more like signing up for a series of ballroom dance lessons than hiring a personal trainer (esp since you aren't doing one-on-one training, from your description).
    I don't see this as being essential to your weight-loss program, but if you think it might be fun and maybe informative, then go for it. You might enjoy the workouts, you might even learn a few new exercises you can incorporate into your usual routine.
    But I would not consider it in terms of "investing in yourself" or "needing help" because I don't think you will get those kinds of benefits.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Depends....what's the prize for winning? Would you be doing the challenge if there were no prize? If not, there's your answer.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd do it if there were no prize but Az makes a good point.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    There you go. Sign up for the fun of it and if you win, bonus!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's not essential at all, but it's fun and challenging to mix up your workout routine like this. You might learn new exercises that will be valuable later, and make new friends who will continue to support and motivate you.

If you have money to spend on it, do it. If you'd rather spend the money on something else, that's cool too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This "contest" is a hook. They are selling personal training sessions while pretending they're doing something else.

I wouldn't give money to people who were:

1. Trying to scam it out of me
    2. Too stupid to even pull off a halfway decent scam.

That's me. You should do what YOU want to do, though.