Clearing the Mind

Options
About 4years ago I first started to change my lifestyle/eating choices. I can remember getting to a point where all the junk food I was eating prior never even crossed my mind, I was dedicated to becoming a new man. Fast forward 4years I have let myself slip a little, and now I cant seem to get my mind right and stay focused. Any ideas or success stories on keeping the mind right?

Replies

• covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well sure. I've lost 30 pounds so far just doing at home workouts and changing my lifestyle. A lot of what has changed for me is my "why." You thought about why you changed the first time around, why you slipped, and why you want to get back there? That might help define your goals. I found a Facebook fitness family with people who have lost 75-100 pounds. Utterly inspiring. It can happen! Good luck. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Pretend you're the Chargers' 4th-string RB and will probably have to play this Sunday ;)
  • GetFitSD
    GetFitSD Posts: 278
    Options
    Good Call Sofaking. Better get out there on the grind.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Keep it focused on your breath
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    GetFitSD wrote: »
    About 4years ago I first started to change my lifestyle/eating choices. I can remember getting to a point where all the junk food I was eating prior never even crossed my mind, I was dedicated to becoming a new man. Fast forward 4years I have let myself slip a little, and now I cant seem to get my mind right and stay focused. Any ideas or success stories on keeping the mind right?

First I'd ask you what you mean by "staying focused" and "keeping your mind right".

Now I'm not suggesting you are wrong by any means, but I'd be curious about it.

• GetFitSD
    GetFitSD Posts: 278
    Options
    @side steel. In regards to staying focused, I guess I mean avoiding or resisting temptations. I need to mentally stay inline with my goals so I do not get sidetracked. I know where I want to be and I know what I need to do to get there, so that would be keeping the mind right.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    GetFitSD wrote: »
    I need to mentally stay inline with my goals so I do not get sidetracked. I know where I want to be and I know what I need to do to get there, so that would be keeping the mind right.

IMHO I'd say you're already pretty much there. You know what you need to do and you know where you want to be.
    I think I get where you're coming from as I can be the same. I know both of the above but that doesn't stop me from slipping off the macro nutrient wagon now and again. And you know what, now and again it doesn't matter.
    For me, putting on a pair of jeans I haven't been able to fit into for ages is my motivation. I got there, I did it, I looked in the mirror and thought; "Hell yes, more of that please."
    Look in the mirror dude, all the motivation you need should be staring right back at you. You are your own competition. :smile:

• glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Accept that there are going to be slip ups, just don't let them stop you. Stay focused, and when you're not, pick up again asap. Soon enough it will be like second nature again.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mindset is the hardest part. Most of us know what to eat and what to do, it's the daily commitment that is hard. Heck, some days it's the hour by hour, minute by minute.....

For me this go around, which has been my longest lasting and most successful, I just finally got fed up with feeling like crap. Eating healthy, for me, keeps my head clear too, so that helps me stay focused. I have lost and regained smaller amounts so many times in the past, I refuse to go through this again and again and again. Whenever I feel like quitting, I remind myself of that. I focus on what I can do, like pre-planning, exercising, eating my fruits and veggies. Some days I factor in a small "cheat", or I plan ahead for a weekend when I know I might be having beer and pizza. I adjust and readjust to keep myself moving forward.

Some days are very easy and others are, well, not so much. Those other days take practice, patience and planning.