Can you have too much protein?

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
Sometimes I go over my protein goals and it puts me in the red. Most of my proteins consist of lean meats (e.g. chicken breast) Do I need to cut down on my amount of protein? What are the affects of too much protein?

Replies

• ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    By MFP I am always over but I have not had issues with this I think because many recommend 1 gram per llb of lean muscle in body. MFP recommends 56 a day but I am always over 100 that includes a variety of sources not just meat It was recommended for me to up by trainer and MD I was too fatigued and am training fairly hard beween cardio and strength training. I am the last to say I understand Macros I am in the process of sorting and learning about theses
  • Aiko831
    Aiko831 Posts: 9
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "Next to water, proteins are the most abundant substances in the human body. Proteins are major components of living cells and are called the "body builders" because of their role in developing and repairing bone, muscle, skin, and blood cells.

Adults should consume about 0.8gram per kologram of body weight. To calculate your protein needs divide your body weight (in pounds) by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms, then multiply by 0.8, The result is YOUR recommended protein intake per day.

There is considerable controversy over whether someone in high-level physical training needs additional protein to build and repair muscle fibers or whether normal daily requirements suffice. In addition, a sedentary person may find it easier to stay in energy balance when consuming a diet with a higher percentage of protein and a lower percentage of carbohydrate. Why? Because proteins make a person feel full for a longer period of time. "

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Not likely to affect you negatively barring any serious medical issues (pre-existing kidney/liver problems).

There have been extensive studies to identify the "upper limits" of protein intake and there are none established based on the results. As long as you're meeting your micronutrient needs (vitamins and minerals) from a variety of sources, protein it up Sir. :-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's numbers you should probably consider the protein amount to be a minimum rather than a maximum. It is usually pretty low.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not likely to affect you negatively barring any serious medical issues (pre-existing kidney/liver problems).

There have been extensive studies to identify the "upper limits" of protein intake and there are none established based on the results. As long as you're meeting your micronutrient needs (vitamins and minerals) from a variety of sources, protein it up Sir. :-)
    ^^^ This

People are sheeping too much on thinking you can over do protein.

Protein is more important when cutting to help retain muscle and not nearly as important to bulk as people would think.

• TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Numerous studies have shown that there is no additional benefit to be gained from eating more than 0.82g per lb of bodyweight (this is the upper limit). Eating more than this won't cause a problem however.

Only real downside to eating 'too much' protein is that it's an expensive way to get calories, and if you're sticking to a calorie target it may mean you're dropping your fat/carbs below optimal levels.
  • annanaidoo
    annanaidoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I"ve been eating a high protein/low carb diet for over a year now and the weight fell off quickly! I'm always in the red for it but as long as you're within your calories! Your body will need that protein and use it up anyway especially if you are working out because the protein helps muscle recovery!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It can cause organ damage, but if you're healthy with no prior kidney/liver conditions you will find it hard to over do it and it'll be worse for you to eat too little rather than too much. The important thing is plenty of protein from a variety of sources containing a variety of amino acids.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    At extreme levels I'm sure you could have too much protein. I've read that at least 1g per pound of lean body mass is optimal to lessen muscle loss when losing weight. I'm sure even 1g per pound of total body weight would be fine, but personally I find it very difficult to hit that number without using supplements so I doubt you're eating enough protein to cause any harm.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. They kind of confirm what I thought that it is not a big deal.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP recommendations it is very low. .8-1 gram per body of lean body weight is a good point to aim for. Just like all other macronutrients eaten in excess can be stored as fat.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    What are the affects of too much protein?

Unless you have a pre-existing kidney issue, none.

The only potential problem is if consuming too much protein takes away from consuming a balance of the other two macros...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There are new concerns about it based on this study, but it only focused on people over 50.

http://www.livescience.com/43839-too-much-protein-help-cancers-grow.html

"They found that people ages 50 to 65 who ate a diet rich in animal proteins during middle age were more than four times as likely to die of cancer during the study period than those who ate a low-protein diet, according to the study published today (March 4) in the journal Cell Metabolism."
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There are new concerns about it based on this study, but it only focused on people over 50.

http://www.livescience.com/43839-too-much-protein-help-cancers-grow.html

"They found that people ages 50 to 65 who ate a diet rich in animal proteins during middle age were more than four times as likely to die of cancer during the study period than those who ate a low-protein diet, according to the study published today (March 4) in the journal Cell Metabolism."

To "die of cancer" is a pretty broad statement to me. Cancer can be genetic although not as common, and in more cases early detection is the key to survival.

Interesting that they are saying only protein from animals and they mention that that the risk nearly vanish when if one was to consume protein for plants like beans.

They are talking about from the age range of 50ish-65 as it states that a people over the age of 65 are less likely to "die from cancer or other causes".

TFP
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes. Protein is the it thing right now, and of course it's important, but too much is too much.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can get too much protein and it could hurt you. Most Americans eat more of than they need.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I wish I could easily go over my protein daily :\ and I eat meat
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    too much protein can raise your uric acid levels and cause gout and kidney problems