My best friend encourages bad eating habits?

Options
2»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    irleshay wrote:
    Stick to your guns and tell her you don't want the food, and thanks but *she'll* have to take the extra food home. Since you bend, she keeps doing what she's doing. You're not forcing anything on each other if she eats what she wants, and you eat whatever/if/when you want.
    Yes.
    Stand up for yourself. You're saying one thing (I want to weigh less) and doing the opposite (eating whatever she puts in front of you).
    If she orders you food you don't want, give it to a homeless person, or leave it on the tray, or throw it out, or make her take it home.
    What you DON'T do is put it in your mouth.

If she's your friend (really a friend) she'll want you to be healthy & happy. Doesn't sound like that's happening.

I agree with packing a lunch & snacks so there's no reason for her to believe you're not eating.
    If you're driving the car, tell her you're not stopping for food. Period. Warn her once, go through the drivethrough so she can order _her_ food once, and after that you don't stop.
    If you're riding along, just sit there & watch her eat. For most people, it's uncomfortable.

BTW, 2 things:
    - From your profile picture, you look fine. Are you sure your target weight is a healthy one?
    - Having so little to lose, and (apparently) being so close to (or at) a healthy weight, any weight loss is going to come very slowly. 1 lb a month would be a victory.
    - Dude, paragraphs, please! :anguished:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you ride to campus together? Whose car is it? You might need to find a better way to get to campus.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with what everyone said but I did have a question- is your profile pic you how you look currently? You look so TINY! Especially considering how the camera tends to make people look larger than IRL.

Is it possible that your friend is concerned that you don't need to lose weight and is making a misguided attempt at "helping" you?

The pic may just be the angle or whatever, but the thought did cross my mind. If I am incorrect then yeah, what everyone else said.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've got an acquaintance who tries the same things on me. In his case it is because he wants to dominate the situation; he is a situational bully. I do not let him get his own way.

Doesn't "no" mean "no"? Say it and mean it.
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You should read these three articles:
    1. Perils of Clean Eating (why it's so easy - and common - to binge): http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-perils-of-clean-eating/
    2. Guide to Flexible Dieting (saved my life!): http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/healthy-living-heavy-liftings-ultimate-guide-to-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-iifym/
    3. Moderation (helps you reduce binging in the long run): http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/7-steps-to-mastering-moderation/

I'm a senior in college, and flexible dieting has really helped bring sanity back to fat loss and fitness :) Here's me (and some of the "junk" I eat): http://instagram.com/talishlaf
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You are always going to have temptations in your life. YOU have to learn to say no thank you and be satisfied with your choice. I go to many group functions and just opt not to eat or only eat the healthy option. I don't feel deprived- I feel empowered that I'm making the choice I want and I know I will feel great later with no guilt or upset stomach. When friends ask why I'm not eating XYZ I just say "I don't eat that $#@% anymore." The end.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    She doesn't support your goals. Your friend, or your goals. She isn't going to change.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Also you don't look remotely overweight but that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat healthy! Food is fuel.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ignore everyone saying "she's not a good friend", that's so rude. They don't know you or her. Some people share love through food, it's a taught behavior, many people have a grandma or parent or someone who does the same and they learn it. What you can do is still eat out with her but make better choices. It'll take a lot of self control to get a side salad and diet sprite or a single burger instead of a full meal or a lot of things, but it'll let you lose weight and still have fun/go out. :) There's good choices to make at every food place, literally almost everywhere if your'e just trying to lose weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Unless she has a gun, she can't force you to do anything you don't want to do. Just say no.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just break up
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Only one solution you must kill her.

I can give you a really good recipe for humans. Really high in protein!

Seriously, you're an adult you need to do a few different things:
    1.) Tell your friend "NO!" and if she doesn't respect you then move to step 2
    2.) Ask her why she's concerned about what you eat and is sabotaging you
    3.) Depending on answer make up your mind
    4.) When she buys you food toss it... or give it to someone nearby

You're 19 and seem fairly fit from the picture so maybe she's concerned about you having an eating disorder but Taco Bell and what not just isn't healthy for anyone... taste mighty fine sometimes but still not healthy.

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You are so young, so this might be hard to hear, but 1) she's a toxic friend and 2) you need to be your own person. Ultimately, it is up to you and you have to have the wherewithall to break away from her if you truly want to "do your own thing". It makes me wonder in what other areas of life she is controlling / dominating you. Good luck! Remember that your health comes first!
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Throw it away or leave it on the counter. She'll get the hint or she'll con't to waste her money.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    irleshay wrote:
    Stick to your guns and tell her you don't want the food, and thanks but *she'll* have to take the extra food home. Since you bend, she keeps doing what she's doing. You're not forcing anything on each other if she eats what she wants, and you eat whatever/if/when you want.
    Yes.
    Stand up for yourself. You're saying one thing (I want to weigh less) and doing the opposite (eating whatever she puts in front of you).
    If she orders you food you don't want, give it to a homeless person, or leave it on the tray, or throw it out, or make her take it home.
    What you DON'T do is put it in your mouth.

If she's your friend (really a friend) she'll want you to be healthy & happy. Doesn't sound like that's happening.

I agree with packing a lunch & snacks so there's no reason for her to believe you're not eating.
    If you're driving the car, tell her you're not stopping for food. Period. Warn her once, go through the drivethrough so she can order _her_ food once, and after that you don't stop.
    If you're riding along, just sit there & watch her eat. For most people, it's uncomfortable.

BTW, 2 things:
    - From your profile picture, you look fine. Are you sure your target weight is a healthy one?
    - Having so little to lose, and (apparently) being so close to (or at) a healthy weight, any weight loss is going to come very slowly. 1 lb a month would be a victory.
    - Dude, paragraphs, please! :anguished:

This!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Just break up

This.