Eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have heard that free range chickens produce eggs that have a better omega 3/6 ratio, Whether that is really important I'm not convinced and the jury is still out. I do know they taste better to me as other posters have pointed out.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    All I know is eggs that are free range and fresh taste a ton better than anything you can buy at a market. They have a different color (almost orange) when they are cooked. There has to be some difference, but for me, just the taste is worth it.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i read somewhere this past week that if you have thyroid issues you should avoid the egg whites, but the yolks are fine. sorry but i have absolutely no idea where i read it, i have been reading about 10 books this week! other than that, all i've read is positive about eggs. good thing, too, b/c i :heart: them!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    All I know is eggs that are free range and fresh taste a ton better than anything you can buy at a market. They have a different color (almost orange) when they are cooked. There has to be some difference, but for me, just the taste is worth it.
    Yes, we used to have free range domestic ducks and the yolks were bright orange. Nice BIG eggs and tasty!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,570 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not bad..but if you want to weight loss..you should remove it....its a fatty food.

85lbs down, I eat eggs 3-5 times/week. Also bacon!

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I buy eggs from our local farmers market. Just because the hens are treated much better than the chickens at the big producers. I don't know, but I think they have happier lives doing their natural thing. Roaming around and being free. Their eggs have deeper gold yolks and the shells are anywhere from cream colored to brown. Some are blue and greenish (I think it depends on the variety of the chicken.

They are a great food and should be included in our diets and as with most foods, moderation is the key.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If It Fits Your Macros - then they're fine. Cheap high quality protein. I try to buy brands that are cruelty free.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you can raise your own chickens or get your eggs directly from a farm, those are the best. If that is not possible, get your eggs as fresh as you can, which usually means somewhere other that a large grocery chain. I get mine from the gas station/convenience store because they are typically a week fresher than the grocery because the company buys from farmers in the state instead of having the shipped from wherever.

Brown or white makes no difference whatsoever. Color just depends on the breed of chicken.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    yvesklein wrote: »
    Eggs aren't bad for you. Just ensure you get your cholesterol checked regularly. You may have high cholesterol naturally. Eating foods high in fibre will reduce this. I recommend organic free-range if they're readily available at your grocery store.

you do realize the organic, free-range is a bunch of poo, right?

In the case of eggs, organic and free range is not a bunch of poo. Have you ever been to an industrial hen house? Egg-laying hens are housed elbow to elbow in crates - crapping all over themselves and the eggs you'll eventually eat.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    AZKristi wrote: »
    Eggs aren't bad for you. Just ensure you get your cholesterol checked regularly. You may have high cholesterol naturally. Eating foods high in fibre will reduce this. I recommend organic free-range if they're readily available at your grocery store.

In the case of eggs, organic and free range is not a bunch of poo. Have you ever been to an industrial hen house? Egg-laying hens are housed elbow to elbow in crates - crapping all over themselves and the eggs you'll eventually eat.

Agreed. It's worth it for the ethical reasons alone for me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    AZKristi wrote: »

Agreed. It's worth it for the ethical reasons alone for me.

It is not worth it to me for the price reasons. I eat about 1-1/2 dozen eggs a week and I just cannot afford $3-$4 a dozen plus the gas to go out to the farm. I have to limit myself to the convenience store eggs which right now are $1.29 a dozen or, if it is an emergency, I will get the grocery store eggs which are $1.59 and abut a week older than the convenience store. My local natural foods store has organic for $2.29 a dozen but they are also less fresh than the convenience store.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

They taste better and its nicer knowing the chicken that laid it was allowed to run around and kept humanelt. The latter matters to some people and not others.
  • TThankful1
    Options
    I'm going to say this when I started at medical weight loss and from my doctor advice(who delivered me into this world yes I thank him) but anyways...eggs are good for you, if you watch you calories you should be fine I have them all the time sometimes 6(boiled or fried in olive oil) a day with my fruits if that's how I'm feeling...white or brown who knows best the farmers I love them...