Lean Cuisine

Options
2»

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I don't like them but that's because I don't find them filling. Trader Joes has some great frozen meals that don't break the bank - both cash wise and calorie wise. Just read the labels but a lot of their fish ones I've tried are delish
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    amysj303 wrote: »
    I use them, they can be an easy way to track but for the most part I have only a few that I like. The meat in them can be gross so I have supplemented my own meat (usually shredded chicken) to the vegetarian pasta ones. My favorites are the butternut squash ravioli, the mushroom mezzaluna (another ravioli), and fettucine alfredo.
    Not sure if you were talking specifically about lean cuisine but I rely on frozen entrees a lot and I think you can look at the options but I am ok with anything 400 cals or fewer for lunch, and a lot of the other options are tastier than the low-cal option. Stouffers meat lasagna, I had today, it was 360 cals, I get the all-natural one. I also like Amy's meals the enchilada and tamale ones are good, also Michael Angelo's makes a baked egg plant parm that seems like a lot of food for the minimal cals, really fills me up, and I also do EVOL burritos, they are local and natural, but found even at walmart freezer section.
    I don't watch sodium. There's only so much one can do and sodium is not really an issue for me.

Isn't stouffers 2 servings per package or something?
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I agree - add a salad (the salad addition ones are great for this!) or extra veggies. Stay away from the pasta ones - they are much higher in sodium than some of the others.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Amy's Light & Lean meals (or even the regular variety), but they're pricier.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat lean cuisine and smart ones frequently for lunch, I like them and it keeps me satisfied at only 250-300 calories a pop.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you're watching sodium, then stay away from them. Personally, I can consume a ton of salt and my blood pressure is still really low. I used to eat Lean Cuisines every day for my supper, and I loved it since it takes the craving for some of my favorite foods away (pizza, pasta, steak & potatoes...yes please)! I never found them hugely filling but anything with that amount of calories is probably not going to be no matter what. I found it important to satisfy my cravings with them though and I lost weight with them. I'm just taking a break from them now because I got a little burned out on them. Hope this helps!
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a Healthy Choice Steamer most weekdays for lunch. I usually have a side salad with them so they last me all afternoon.
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat some form of Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones just about everyday for lunch, paired with a salad or greek yogurt. I am satisfied.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    What happens when you stop eating them? Won't you be back in the same boat you're in now? Gaining weight?

It might be better to learn to cook healthy balanced meals that are low calorie.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    What happens when you stop eating them? Won't you be back in the same boat you're in now? Gaining weight?

It might be better to learn to cook healthy balanced meals that are low calorie.

^^^^^^That would be me!
    I'd bloat up like a balloon...
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine is awesome. As everyone else has said, they are sooo convenient if you are busy and don't have time to cook. They are low on cals which is obviously the best part about them. They are also really easy to log.. my favorites are spaghetti and meatballs, mushroom and steak panini, hmm prob a few others haha. I wouldn't buy them when they aren't on sale though.. not worth it.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have some frozen options in the freezer too. They are things I have always eaten and will continue to always eat.

My favorite is Boston Market Turkey Medallions. It's a bigger meal at 13 ounces but it only had 240 calories.

Banquet also has a Turkey meal I think its got about 230 calories in it as well and it typically costs less than a dollar (though I question how much "turkey" is actually in the turkey but I LOVE the gravy and stuffing in it so yummy!)

Lean Cuisine I try to stick to the ones that are 150/170 calories. Those are pretty much just meat/veg (no pastas, pizza). The pastas and pizza ones are too calorie dense for the amount of food you get to eat. But that's pretty much how I eat when cooking- mostly meat/veg as that is what I enjoy, keeps me full and is "worth" the amount of calories they contain.

I think they are a good tool but I would read the packages and compare calorie amount to size of package so you can get the most food for your calories.
  • jimHofmann
    jimHofmann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In general, frozen low-cal meals (300 cals) have helped me lose because I use them at work where "food machines" and nearby Subways and grills have always tempted and led me to overeat my goals. I usually add a piece of fruit or some pita chips and I'm fine until my 3PM snack. Lean Cuisine is okay (high in sodium as someone has pointed out) but there are many other alternatives.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I eat a lean cuisine, smart one, or other lower cal / higher protein (for a frozen dinner) meal most work days. I take a chicken breast and cut it up and add it. The two combined make for a decent protein and rather yummy lunch.

Yes they are high in sodium.

Yes they can help with weight loss, as long as you finish the day in a caloric deficit. :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've ate my fair share of frozen meals & agree that some don't fill you up, but they're cheap & handy if you need one in a pinch.

My favorite Lean Cuisines are Tortilla Crusted Fish & Apple Cranberry Chicken.

Healthy Choice favorites are Pumpkin Squash Ravioli & Crustless Chicken Pot Pie.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »

How do you figure? As long as they would be in a calorie deficit then they could eat whatever they wanted & still lose weight.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I eat Lean Cuisine for lunch along with fruit or a salad. As long as you budget the nutrients into your calories/macros, you will be fine.
  • GoldenGate15
    Options
    Thank so much for all of your feedback xx
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't eaten those since the 90's. I remember thinking they were okay in a pinch. I don't remember ever being very satisfied after eating one. I think that is because I treated them as a meal. Aren't they under 300 calories? I say if they work for you then go for it. Note:check for sodium and msg if you are especially sensitive.

Here is a random link with nutritional info.

https://www.leancuisine.com/Products/NutritionInformation.aspx?ProductID=10134