Bloating

Options
Hi! Looking for a bit of advice really…

How do you know when you are bloated and its not just weight gain? Recently I have been feeling very bloated all the time and my stomach has swollen right out to the point I look 4 months pregnant yet I am unsure if I am actually bloated or gained a lot of weight? (I am definitely not pregnant)
I have upped my water intake recently due to problematic skin, is this a factor or am I just gaining weight? (Diet hasn't changed that dramatically)

Thanks! :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eating foods high in magnesium and potassium can mitigate water weight. But you generally have to look at weight over a 4-6 week period to understand if it's a real gain or now. But if you have an infection, it's not uncommon to retain water.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Because if you weigh yourself you would be able to see if you were heavier/lighter?.....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Its VERY common to retain water (drives me insane). Drink lots of water and watch sodium.
  • Hanlonx
    Hanlonx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My scales vary between 5lb every couple of days so I am unsure as one day I can be 9.2st and others 8.7lbs. We are currently unsure if my skin is infected (no clue what is up with it just now!) Thanks for your answers! :smile:
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    sodium causes weight gain, what a pain. Just drink as much as you can and i also take herbal duratics.
  • loquinmalie
    loquinmalie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Of course there's female stuff too - I always get really bloated and lose no weight when I'm PMSing. Two things about water weight: it does come from excess sodium and not excess water consumption (to my understanding) and it isn't "real" weight - so long as you're eating well and exercising the numbers will drop when the bloat goes away. That is a large amount of bloating though - if it persists more than a couple days I'd talk to a doctor.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Record what you're eating (if you're not already) and how you feel and look after. If anything seems to be triggering a bad reaction, take it out of your diet and see if the problem clears up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hanlonx wrote: »
    My scales vary between 5lb every couple of days so I am unsure as one day I can be 9.2st and others 8.7lbs. We are currently unsure if my skin is infected (no clue what is up with it just now!) Thanks for your answers! :smile:

theres a 9 pound difference between 8st7 and 9st 2
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    That's a big weight difference!!!

I would watch your fibre intake if your bloated - Do you eat a lot of carbs or white complex carbs?

How much water do you actually drink a day?

Too much fibre and not enough water really bloats me, its horrible. You just need to try and find a balance & watch high sodium foods.
  • closerXX00
    Options
    I think I was in my early 20s when I realized I'd be bloated like you said and it turned out I was lactose intolerant.Maybe it's diet related...
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    Sorry I meant 8st 10/11lbs! The only carbs I really eat are sweet potato and porridge, I'll keep a closer eye and take notes. Thanks :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories do you eat? Can you open your food diary?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I get fantastically bloated at the drop of a hat, especially TOM and when I eat lentils. However it doesn't really cause me to gain unless it's due to water retention.
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    I eat round about 1350 a day, I only really log my breakfast and lunch but going to start this week logging my evening meals. I don't get TOM due to the contraception I am on, and I currently drink around 3 litres of water a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hanlonx wrote: »
    I eat round about 1350 a day, I only really log my breakfast and lunch but going to start this week logging my evening meals. I don't get TOM due to the contraception I am on, and I currently drink around 3 litres of water a day.

You don't actually have to have a TOM to have the symptoms. Your body will still bloat.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Salts, eugh, its the enemy when it comes to water retention. What's worse is that its hidden in nearly everything. Generally speaking anything that is in cans or sealed plastic bags that gives the impression that it should have died ages ago but hasn't would be filled with sodium. Also anything in the frozen aisle. We should normally have between 2-2.5g of sodium but end up having much more than that without noticing. Try to control sodium.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    What porridge are you eating?

The rolled big oats? Normal oats? Porridge pots/ sachets etc?

How many grams!

Can only be your fibre in take or salt for you to be bloating so much!

Have you tried probiotics - I had these and were amazing! Kept them in the fridge - No bloating what so ever - Check out Holland & Barretts!
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    I don't add any salt to any of my food so all the salt I have is already in my food, will keep an eye! :( I use 30g of Scotts Porridge Oats. It feel more bloated round about lunch/dinner time but I am only having salads or meat/veg! I'll try them thanks!
  • chesewdro
    chesewdro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    May be a food intolerance. People sensitive to gluten tend to bloat