Protein sources for vegetarians

Options
CJsf1t
CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
Hi all, I am a vegetarian with 100 lbs needed to lose. My RDA for protein is about 80 gms but at the end of the day I am only upto 30-40 gms. Please tell me some good sources of protein that I can include to increase my intake.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just found this in a group that I joined here on MFP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources

The list breaks it down by meat/vegetarian friendly/vegan friendly. Hope it helps.
  • CJsf1t
    Options
    Wow! Thanks! Thats a great list :)
  • SnuggleBot
    SnuggleBot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a vegetarian too and sometimes find it difficult to get all the protein I need. I just bought a bag of ground flax seed (it's better for you and lasts longer if you get the whole seeds and then ground it yourself) and I just add a few tablespoons to every day foods to help bring the count up. For example, I had some greek yogurt and added 3 TBSP of flax for breakfast, and last night I had a baked potato and added a few TBSP on top of that too. Also, it's a great source of plant-based omega 3 fatty acids. :smiley: I hope this helps you!
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I want to lose a similar amount and am also a vegetarian. My diary is open so please feel free to have a look. I use flax, hemp protein powder, nuts, Quorn and cheese as my main sources of protein. There's quite a lot in some vegetables too.
  • CJsf1t
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I want to lose a similar amount and am also a vegetarian. My diary is open so please feel free to have a look. I use flax, hemp protein powder, nuts, Quorn and cheese as my main sources of protein. There's quite a lot in some vegetables too.

Thank you so much for offering to show your dairy :) I did get some good ideas
    Edit: I mean I will get some good ideas
  • Princ3ssj
    Princ3ssj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Beans. lentils. Tofu. Tempeh. Peas/split peas(a serving of split peas has 13g of protein for about 100cal) Edamame. Try to stay away from fake meats, there are so many other ingredients in those packaged and processed items its not worth it. They can be a helpful starting point in a transition period but ultimately cooking whole foods is better for your body.
    Beans and lentils are also high in fiber which helps keep you full longer.

Cheese is not a good way to get protein. Its high in fat/calories and dairy isnt good for you in general. You would have more energy and lose a considerable about of weight if you cut or or at the very least cut down on your dairy consumption. Soy milk has 7g of protein per glass which is helpful if you use it for cereal etc.

Im a bit confused by the suggestion of flaxmeal. Although it is really good for you and a helpful additive, its not high in protein. Theres about 1g of protein per tablespoon for 40cal.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that I use almond milk, cheese is the only dairy product that I consume and I know that I will give that up eventually. Good luck with this, do lots of research and decide what is right for you.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    "Organically Yours" Raw pumpkin [pepitas] seeds are also a great source of protein [18 grams per 1/4 cup] as well as "Reddi Snack" unsalted hulled sunflower seeds [10 grams of protein for 1/3 cup serving]. I love having them on days I don't eat meat. I know some people get put off with the high calorie and high fats numbers but you can spread it out over the course of the day.
  • CJsf1t
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I bought some flaxseed yesterday and I am going to try it this weekend. I love tofu. I am searching for some interesting tofu recipes. I heard chickpeas(garbanzo beans) are high in protein too.

edit: Do any of you use protein shakes/powders? If so which one- whey protein or soy isolate. Also which one is better?
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and aim for 100g of protein a day. I don't have a problem getting that if I eat these daily, which I usually do:

- cottage cheese
    - Greek yogurt
    - protein shake (I use Muscle Farm Cookies and Cream blended with a bit of skim milk)
    - high protein pita (10g) with hummus
    - some kind of cheese, usually a serving of cheddar
    - a serving of natural peanut butter or almond butter
    - a hard boiled egg
    - lentils or beans incorporated into dinner

• CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, too, and I would recommend tofu. It's so yummy and versatile.
    I also love beans, because they are high in fiber.
    I eat diary products like milk, yogurt, cottage cheese and cheese. I know some people don't think diary is good for you, but I have no problem with them.
    I have about a cup of milk a day (in my coffee and oatmeal) and I either eat cheese or have a yogurt.
  • plaquechoco
    Options
    Tofu is a good source of protein, however I would not call it 'yummy'. As someone said, it is colorless, odorless and tasteless. It really depends what you do with it. Quorn has definitely more taste and a meatier texture.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have this rice protein powder: http://www.amazon.com/Nutribiotic-Organic-Protein-Plain-Pound/dp/B0033T8CZK
    Also, one can buy hemp or pea powder.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend! My diary is open. :)

I've been a vegetarian for 7 years and while I don't hit 100g of protein every day (I think I've eaten that much once...), I can usually hit 50 or 60 without even thinking about it.

Aside from the obvious-- nuts, beans/lentils, dairy products-- some vegetables actually have the best protein/calorie ratio of all foods (meat included). I think broccoli tops the list. So my strategy is just to eat a lot of whole foods (mostly vegetables and beans), and the protein comes along with the territory.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am a vegetarian with 100 lbs needed to lose. My RDA for protein is about 80 gms but at the end of the day I am only upto 30-40 gms. Please tell me some good sources of protein that I can include to increase my intake.

Thanks in advance

Crickets. Grubs. Hissers.