Traveling...

Options
I'm going out of town this weekend- for birthday parties and an anniversary party. I won't be able to track calories or meal plan. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Use moderation and have fun.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Carry a A4 pad, pen and a measuring jug and record everything and I mean everything that you take on. Also take a pedometer so if you go walking around, you can accurately estimate exactly how much exercise you have done.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    ^ this.

Enjoy and put it down as a "cheat weekend" :) ..........nothing wrong with enjoying yourself and don't feel guilty.

• vtroys
    vtroys Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree, just get back at it on Monday AM! Try to think "portion control" even if you are indulging. If I am stuck on a day/weekend like this, I feel successful if I end the weekend having eating just a little better than i would have the last time faced with the same situation. You may not be perfect, but if you are making strides in doing better than last time, you'll feel better. (You end up having 1 cupcake instead of 2 like you would have last time.) Enjoy your weekend - sounds like fun! :smiley:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Try and bank a few extra calories the week before and then don't worry about it.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    adnaram wrote: »
    I'm going out of town this weekend- for birthday parties and an anniversary party. I won't be able to track calories or meal plan. Any suggestions?

The MFP smartphone app is ideal for this kind of situation. I use it all the time. I would have a much harder time keeping up with what I'm eating otherwise.

You probably don't want to log food during a party, but you can usually find a quiet moment to catch up a couple of times a day.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Have fun, eat in moderation, and if you go way overboard don't let it derail you - just pick right back up and get back to the programme. Hopefully you have a long life ahead of you so one fat weekend isn't going to be devastating.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Either let it go as a cheat day if you're due one or log it the best you can and try to eat no more than your limit for the day. Remember that you're learning how to be healthy and life will always present us with events that will make it more difficult. The easy way out is to call it a cheat day even if we just had one and then do it again later when something else comes up. If we learn to control ourselves when life throws us curveballs, then we will reach our goals and learn to maintain.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You probably don't want to log food during a party, but you can usually find a quiet moment to catch up a couple of times a day.

While I don't believe in feeling any shame about logging, don't hesitate to break your smartphone out during a trip to the bathroom to log your food. What I've found is that a lot of people are positively interested in the app and like to hear about it, some even ending up using it themselves.

• adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options

The MFP smartphone app is ideal for this kind of situation. I use it all the time. I would have a much harder time keeping up with what I'm eating otherwise.

I don't have a smartphone. :(

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This. I never log on vacations. I use moderation and have fun and then I get right back on plan the day I get home. No excuses. One vacation won't ruin your efforts, it is the long-term habits that make or break success.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Moderation.

Last month I was in Ireland for two weeks, didn't log at all, and I didn't gain any weight, and I had plenty of good food, including a sweet each day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    First off, I think you will be alright for a single weekend if you just try to make wise choices overall. I spend every single weekend doing somthing or going somewhere. But then again, I also use the smartphone app. I get the idea that this is really rare for you (otherwise you would not be asking), so I think you will be fine this one time.

Second, I'm suggesting that you try to limit quantities, be smart about what you eat, and take opportunities for exercise whenever possible. Park further away and walk an extra block or 3.

I'm going to add that a weekend is fine. But I've taken longer trips where I had poor or no phone connection or time (seriously, I barely had time to pee, and definitely didn't have 5 min. to log). I took a road trip earlier this year for 10 days. I saw a lot of places and even did quite a bit of hiking (63 miles). I still gained weight because I wasn't tracking how much I was eating and must have ended up eating more than I spent, even though I was very active.