Serving sizes offered on this sight....

Options
2»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to hunt a bit before I find an actual weight/measurement. I also do a lot of creating my own NI based on specific weights and measurements.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It's member driven. If you don't like the serving sizes offered, then add your own. Show some gratitude rather than entitlement.
  • ECWWalker
    ECWWalker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues when I started. You just need to look around more and find the right one. With more experience it will get easier and easier.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a "standard" serving size. Serving sizes of package goods are chosen by their manufacturers and often are specifically chosen to avoid unpleasant numbers. For example, a food listed per serving as "fat free" may actually have some fat in it but the manufacturer was able to "round down" to zero for a small enough serving.

For other than packaged items that don't have a measurement you need, you can always add one using the NDL/FNIC database for reference. A vegetable like red bell pepper is hard to measure by the cup, for example. The NDL/FNIC for them shows that 100g of raw red bell pepper is 31 calories.

To figure out the calories for your recipe, just weigh your chopped bell pepper and do some arithmetic. If, for example, your pepper cut up weighs 125 grams, the number of calories is 1.25 times 31 or 38.75 calories.

Adding 100 gram amounts from NDL/FNIC for foods that don't include it would be a good favor for all of us. I'll try to start doing it more regularly. Anybody else in?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Once you use the site for a while finding the correct entry is a breeze. If you're looking for grams on fruits and veggies add USDA to the name. Also helps to use the plural form of the word - blueberries vs. Blueberry. For milk (or anything with a bar code) try using the bar code scanner first. 90% of the time the right item comes up. When I use the bar code scanner on something like salad mix and the grams entry doesn't come up I just do a search and 99% of the time someone has added it to the data base with the grams entry. Once you have used the correct entries a time or two they'll come right up in your frequent list. Or as others have said - add it yourself!! I also have a conversion chart hanging inside my cupboard that tells all the conversions from teaspoons/tablespoons to cups, etc. Super handy - I use it all the time. http://thats-what-she-said.ca/genius-will-want-hang-kitchen/

Spend less time finding excuses and more times finding solutions and you'll be a lot more successful.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    As much as possible, I weigh food in grams as it is more precise. I try to find entries that are one gram and then make my serving size how many grams I ate. As an American, I do measure liquids in cups because that is what I'm used to. As long as it's accurate, I'm fine. But we would all do well to know enough math for our daily lives!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Make sure that your profile settings are for cups/tablespoons, etc. It may be showing you metric measurements because that's what you have listed in your settings.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Create your own private database:
    Foods > My Foods > Create Food

Use websites like USDA, skipthepie, or nutritiondata to verify produce/meat/things not packaged. Use stuff on the label for everything else. I calculate calories from the item's macros, set my serving sizes to grams/ml unless it's only available in oz on the packaging, weigh everything.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This site is used by non-Americans who don't use cups and ounces (and, according to a recent thread, are baffled when they get to learning that a cup changes based on what you're measuring, lol.) they're not converting and their system makes more sense, anyway. It's also used by Americans who prefer to use the metric system. You may find a lot of entries that use metric stuff.

If you want to save yourself the hassle, just use the ml and grams. Go to the dollar store and buy a measuring cup with both ounces and ml on it. Most liquid measuring cups have both. Get a food scale - you can buy them at Wal-Mart or on amazon. They're not very expensive. Weigh in grams.

I enter all my own stuff. It's no slower than cruising through and trying to find one that works. Plus, every time you eat that thing again, you already have it. :)