Anyone else thinking of their first marathon or triathlon

Options
Looking for support through the winter months to train and be in top condition for a triathlon and a marathon next summer. I have done mud runs and 5 ks and just ran my first half. So im looking to step up my game. I have been on mfp for over 2 years and have lost 100 lbs now looking for the the people that want to take it to the next level. Training can be tough in a small town in northern MN in the winter. Feel free to friend me.

Replies

• MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am usually a marathoner but I have had plantar fasciitis. After taking a running break all summer I am getting back to running again just a little bit. I know I can't go back to my old training schedule yet though so I want to train for my first triathlon this winter and compete in the spring/summer. I think the biking and swimming will help counterbalance the stress I put on my foot. I will be getting started in a few weeks. I'm in the process of moving to Japan right now so I need to get there and get a bike etc... but I know I will be training soon! I will send you a request.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Hey Walleybob977, I completed two sprint triathlons over the last two months and am running my first 5k this weekend. I will begin to train for a half marathon in early winter. I will also be competing in an olympic triathlon next June so training is essential.

I am in TN and can run and bike outside for most of the winter but swimming is definitely going to be indoor pool time, which is okay for a while, until I need to get in the lake for race conditions.
    I will request you as a friend. Most of my tri and/or half training won't ramp up until January....
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Technically I've run a marathon because I've done two Ironmans. But I've never done a stand-alone one and after my 2nd IM, I crashed my bike and got post-concussion syndrome and it's taken me almost 3 years to get back to even the HM distance.

I am signed up for the Tinkerbell HM in May though. It will be my first HM since the crash. I plan to start training for a full marathon after that with the goal of doing one in the fall of 2015.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the request its awesome seeing people go after there goals and pushing there limits. A Ironman would be the ultimate goal and I could see my self doing it in a few years. The only problem I see is getting the training in with a young family time gets toughs. Either I'm Running, lifting riding, eating, or sleeping and the family suffers but they are supportive.