How to Stay on Track During Vacation?

Options
I'm leaving for a week long vacation this weekend and while I am incredibly excited to get away I'm nervous about being able to eat healthy and get in some exercise. I will be walking a lot, which might be my saving grace, but does anyone have tips for healthy eating and staying motivated while on vacation? Thanks!

Replies

• horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    eating healthy on vacation is all about choices. I tend to slip into the same rotine for eating when I am not on vacation. I grab fruit and vegetables when I get to destination for the snack attack I am sure to have. The hardest part is ordering when eating out. I have a hard time eating in moderation so it is a struggle to eat slow and drink water before and after a meal to make sure I feel content.
  • carlcopley
    Options
    Don't snack or graze or constantly eat. Keep to a schedule, make sure no portion size is bigger than your palm for meat or your hands together for veggies, and stay away from processed crap.
  • adjadj83
    adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a trip and it was challenging! What saved me was packing my own food. Bring healthy low calorie snacks enough for the whole trip. Make sure to take an insulated bag so you can keep fruit and perishables cold. Pack a jump rope and bands to do a mini workout every morning when you wake up. As crazy as it sounds, I boiled a dozen eggs and took the egg whites in a container with me to South Beach last year. Put them right in the hotel refrigerator when I got there. I ate a few each day, had salads and didn't gain a pound!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you just eat cabbage everything will be fine.....
  • vtroys
    vtroys Posts: 16
    Options
    Plan ahead; eat 1/2 your meal when served or if you can order light fare try that; make good choices like grilled foods vs fried; have water on you always.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Use moderation and have fun, its vacation!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    mebelfanti wrote: »
    I'm leaving for a week long vacation this weekend and while I am incredibly excited to get away I'm nervous about being able to eat healthy and get in some exercise. I will be walking a lot, which might be my saving grace, but does anyone have tips for healthy eating and staying motivated while on vacation? Thanks!
    First, everything in moderation.

Second, have a wonderful time!

There is no third. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I like to get a hotel with a gym so I can keep up with cardio in the mornings. So convenient to just pad into the gym while the other half sleeps in. Failing that, I get day passes at a local gym. The hotel can usually recommend one nearby.

When confronted with things like hotel breakfast buffets and large portions in restaurants, just ask yourself occasionally "Am I really enjoying this?". If so, by all means continue. Just don't mindlessly eat mediocre food because it is plentiful.