Can't seem to meet my protein goals...

2»

Replies

• gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Try some greek yogurt! Chobani fat free is my favorite. You can also do a protein shake with fat free milk and a banana thrown in for good measure.
  • javierp
    javierp Posts: 7
    I'm not a meat eater or a least not to the point where I could meet my entire protein day's requirement.

SOLUTION!

supplements! yes, the easiest way for me to get all the protein I need is through supplements. Protein bars, Ready to drink shakes etc. This way, I can get just what I need; the protein and none of what comes with the natural sources of protein (extra calories from fat, sodium etc.) This approach had worked for me over the last 15 years.

Javier Preciado.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    tofu
    meat or seitan/meat replacements if youre vegetarian
    lentils
    quinoa
    greek yoghurt
    cheese
    eggs
    nuts
    protein powder
    brocoli
    nut butters
    beans
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    nuts, beans (and rice), tofu, oatmeal (cooked yourself), edamame
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    I have a whey protein shake at the gym straight after my workout. I pack it in my gym bag and find it really helps.
    Boiled eggs are also great for breakfast on the run
  • JezziedotM
    JezziedotM Posts: 31 Member
    Yep I eat lots of tuna, thats my main source of protein probably. And I try to drink the whey protein shakes but most taste so awful they're hard to get down without gagging!

Thank you for all the advice. A visit to the health food store is in order!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    This is when loving meat comes in handy, I will litteraly sit and plough through chicken to hit my goal of at least 200g, I usually hit around 220-240 though. Even if you don't like it, it's the easiest way. And whey protein is good but I hate having more than 1 shake a day.
  • Chucksteakswife
    Chucksteakswife Posts: 52 Member
    tofu
    meat or seitan/meat replacements if youre vegetarian
    lentils
    quinoa
    greek yoghurt
    cheese
    eggs
    nuts
    protein powder
    brocoli
    nut butters
    beans

The above is a great list. Ricotta cheese is a good source of whey protein too. Salmon is a good source of protein too (not sure if that was mentioned in any earlier reply.
  • Chucksteakswife
    Chucksteakswife Posts: 52 Member
    And milk
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    i like syntrax nectar's vanilla whey protein -- 23g protein, 90 calories, 0 carbs. i mix it into my oatmeal or smoothie in the morning.

i've also been making egg muffins for the mornings -- this week they have ricotta cheese, so they taste like the insides of a lasagna. super easy too: 4 eggs, 2 c. part skin ricotta, 1/4c. fat-free shredded cheese, and herbs/seasoning of your choice -- i did basil and some garlic powder and trader joe's "everyday seasoning" this time around. pour into lined muffin tins. bake at 400 for 23 minutes.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    I had the same issues as you in the beginning, constantly being way too low on protein intake. Once I started upping my weight training though, I realized I had to increase the intake. Now I'm over every day pretty much.

On an average week my protein will come from:

Salmon
    Turkey
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Edamame
    Protein Bars
    Protein powder in a smoothie
    Chick Peas or Hummus
    Yogurt (although I'm lactose tolerant so this sucks)
    Nuts
    Eggs

Here's a master list for you to help you out:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    This is a great topic.
    I've also had difficulty meeting my protein goals.
    Please keep the suggestions coming.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Tuna is a big one. Super easy to prepare and packs a lot of protein in a small amount (not a lot of calories either). Greek yogurt, cheese, protein bars, and eggs/egg whites are all easy and have a good amount of protein in them.

Tuna is awesome. An alternative, since you don't want to eat it more than once every 3-4 days, thanks to the levels of mercury, is canned sardines. Be sure you buy boneless and skinless or they're a hassle. Tastes like a slightly milder form of light tuna to me, and they have an incredible number of essential nutrients. Yummy and nutritious. Oh, darn.
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    I was having this issue as well so I made my own Protein bars. Just Oats, Chocolate Whey, natural peanut butter and skim milk.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member
    I'm having the same problem with insufficient protein so I've resorted to supplementing as I don't eat meat.

Whey protein wreaks havoc with my IBS so I'm using soy isolate. With my doc's blessing, as I'm menopausal anyway.

Also recently discovered Quest bars -- 20 g of protein each.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member
    Still waiting for someone to explain to me, what is happening to their bodies that they know they're not getting in enough protein...

Why do you "think" you're not getting in enough protein??? Is it because someone said "you need to eat x number of grams" and you believe it? or what... i am curious

Absolutely nothing is happening to my body, but I've read in numerous reliable sources that 45 g is the daily requirement for an adult female. So that's what I aim for. Especially now that I have started lifting (I won't pretend to say "heavy" yet).

There have been far too many days where my protein is less than 30 g.