How many calories to maintain weight for a 5'7 female in mid 20's?

Options
I've recently lost a couple pounds putting me happily in the 130's. However, previously its been very hard for me to stay there and out of the 140's. How many calories should I be consuming (Being 24 & 5'7, working as a kindergarten teacher for some wild kids as my only 'real' exercise.)
Eating 1300 per day helped me put off some weight. (Never counted calories before so don't know how much I was really eating.) I've seen suggestions of 2,000 calories per day at various places, but always thought that to be quite a lot. Anyone have any experience or know-how on this subject? Thank you!

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8, in the 170's, mid-20s, female and maintain when I eat 2000 on average. I would say try 17-1800 first for 3-4 weeks and adjust as needed. (If you gain, cut 50-100 per day off. If you lose, add another 50-100 per day.)
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I punched in your info here: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

To maintain 135, at a light activity level, you would need to eat 1987 calories a day - pretty close to 2000. If I were in your shoes, I'd pick a calorie goal (maybe 1950, maybe 2000), log my food for a couple of weeks, and try to stay right at that calorie goal, and see how it goes. Remember that it's normal to have weight fluctuations within about a 5 pound range. If your weight is going up over those two weeks, cut back. If it's going down, eat a little more.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 152, in my 30's. I take care of kids for free, and my maintenance is in the 2300 range.

To maintain a lower weight, I'd say you need less, that also depends on your activity level.
  • brieland3
    Options
    Really appreciate all the info everyone! I found it really helpful! Especially 5stringjeff as the website. Thank you!
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you don't work out 2,000 might be too much. I think the best way to find maintenance is to increase by 200 calories from your deficit every 3-4 weeks. It might be much higher than you think, mine is 1,900. I'm 5'7" 29 years old and I only workout 2 times a week for one hour. I try to stay active but my job is pretty much desk bound.