Ever eat the same thing over and over, because it's easier?

Options

Replies

• ctatchuan
    ctatchuan Posts: 50
    Options
    same meal plans Sundays - Thursdays, my daily schedule is too jam packed to really cook for variety so I make my lunches for the week in advance on Sundays, the twist is that Friday is my cheat day (eat what you desire), gotta give yourself some room to live ;)
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things through out the week...not by choice, but that's what the mess hall has. They have the same menu every week and each day is the same. So for example, lunch on Monday I will have fish and then take a to go plate and have that for dinner. Breakfast for me is usually a protein shake and an egg. Occasionally, I get a care package with some goodies in it (i.e. Campbells soup, protein cookies, pudding cups, etc) and incorporate those into a meal.

It doesn't make for many interesting meals, but it's routine and I can pre-log my meals since I already know what the menu is going to be. Very boring and predictable but it makes it easy staying within my goals.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I eat EXACTLY the same thing for breakfast every day. EXACTLY the same thing for lunch every day and for dinner I either eat toast or I eat whatever I cooked on the weekend (I cook one big batch of something and eat it all week).

Suits me.

It's healthy.

It removes the "I'm tired so I'll eat junk" excuse.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh and this is exactly how I ate before I started losing the weight. The portions have got smaller and some of the meals healthier (although much of my cooking is the same as it ever was) but I always eat the same thing every day.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I usually plan my meals for a whole week to be the same.. its easier. I switch it up weekly.
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Someday soon, I will turn into a skewer of grilled chicken and peppers. I eat it almost every day for cheap, easy, low-cal protein and a serving of veggies. It takes 6 minutes to grill...do two, and I have tomorrow's lunch. I'm in a rut, but I hate to cook! For added yum, I usually eat it with Greek yogurt dip (tzatziki).
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have my favourite dishes which I repeat. I'm currently eating my new fave snack- 1 fresh pear, 1 tablespoon of greek yoghurt and 1 spoon of yummy muesli- yum, low calories and will fill me until dinner.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same things. I'm very busy, I'm on a limited grocery budget, I've figured out what works, and I prefer to just do it without thinking too much about it.

Exactly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

What about you all? Do you sometimes give into the toast and cottage cheese (or whatever) for dinner because it's fast and easy -- and then tell yourself it's better than ordering a pizza or getting carry out?

I get into a "rut" which I'm quite happy with during the week.

For "breakfast" I'll juice some vegetables and drink that over a few hour period between 8a and 11a, then I'll either have some hippy food for lunch (quinoa and beet salad plus some protein) or I'll have a whey protein shake.

Works quite fine for me, takes the thinking and guesswork out of some of my daily eating. That's good considering how mind bending and challenging work can be.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I didn't have those days but had those months. I ate chicken breast and veggies for lunch and dinner pretty much everyday, it worked for me so I didn't worry about it.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yep, used to do that all the time. Didn't really bother me too much, when I felt like a change I would do it but most of the time I was like "if it's not broken, why fix it?"
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yep, Monday to Friday I have the same for breakfast and lunch is very similar - a selection from my graze box, fruit and a yoghurt. I try to do something veggie/salady for dinner but sometimes if it's just me for dinner and it's been a long day it might be something easier with very little prep or washing.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things until my fridge runs out of it. I like to be economical that way, I don't throw much food out. I'm quite happy making a big batch of something then having it for lunch and dinner again the next day.

My BF doesn't like eating leftovers for some reason, but unless he wants to cook for himself he can lump it!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am in a total rut, but it's a vegetable, salad rut. I alternate pretty much between a huge salad, and blitzed up veg soup. Suits me, as it's cheap and healthy.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yep. I think I had a month where I had roast chicken and steamed veggies for 60 of the meals. I was busy, and at least I was getting veggies.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep for 19 months now I've had the same dinner every day. Chicken, capsicum, chilli, onion, zucchini, slim pasta/slim rice, mushrooms, chobani 0% fat yoghurt

Yep still love it, takes about 1hr to fully prepare & cook but so worth it. I get hotter & hotter each day. Yesterday was so hot I almost passed out.

Not sick of chicken yet, I use nothing but thighs, and I love it.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I did when I first started this process, but I get bored very easily and have since "expanded my horizons", so to speak. I enjoy trying different things and figuring out how to fit them into my macros for the day. Eating the same meals every day would not be a sustainable option for me, but I know it works really well for others.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I get into food streaks because the food is there, it is easy and tasty, it fits my macros, and I don't want to be bothered. I have mostly incorporated a few suggestions for myself, like--add at least one veggie to every meal, don't eat the exact same meal more than once in a row--because rut eating can degenerate into something bad for me (mentally and physically).

Ideally, eating a good variety is best, because there are a ton of micronutrients that are difficult to impossible to track or ingest via vitamins, and I feel like I should cover my bases.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Meal planning, buying groceries, cooking, and washing dishes can easily turn into a full time job.

Yeah, sometimes I just eat whatever is already prepared and within arm's reach. I try to at least keep some nuts and dried berries in my desk drawer at work so that there is at least some fiber and nutrients in my lazy snacking selection.
  • likethe309
    likethe309 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yep. I have two jobs and a tight budget. I usually make something in the Crockpot on Saturday and eat that for dinner during the week.

I've always done the same thing for breakfast and lunch. I don't want to waste my time thinking of things to bring to work for lunch, so I just make the same thing. I worry that if I thought too hard, I would just give up and just grab lunch somewhere, which got me in this mess in the first place.